Mod stuck

geordieh

good evening,price would be a consideration because if the moderator has been on the barrel a while there will be a good chance the crown is rusty and pitted so the accurancy will have reduced and the thread may be damaged,so chop and recrown and rethread £150+ i would think and even then the rifle may not group very well walk away but then again rifle smiths need to make a living
My last one cost £50

tom

Ok thanks for the advice and normally I think I would be the same as the majority on here ,
however it has a swarovski z6i ballistic turret scope on it ,
its a steyr mannlicher luxus ,stock is very tidy ,chequering still crisp ,doesn’t appear to have done much work at all !
old chap had it and loctite the mod on as he was paranoid aboutit coming off ,
£1395 probably room for movement !
still not sure whether to take a punt .......
I have been assured if it doesn't shoot straight I can get a refund etc ,

rutland

I take my moderator off as soon as I have finished. The moisture combines with the residues and creates an acidic layer which will rapidly rot or pit your moderator and or barrel. Leave it well alone , if its the scope your after just buy the rifle at scope price , hes not going to have a que of people waiting for it . That's just my opinion.

Woodsmoke

Will the seller let you take the mod' off? You'll be able to crack the Loctite bond with gentle heat and a strap wrench. If the crown and muzzle look OK it'd be worth shooting to see if you get a decent group

reiver

Are man lickers:p not choked barrels as
well ?
I seem to remember a discussion on here a few years ago about them .

Sonicdmb73

Buy a cheap borescope off evilbay or Amazon. And look down the barrel if it looks ok see if you can test it for group. If it looks dodgy walk away. Better yet get a decent ‘smith to check the rifling etc.

User0003

If that rifle has seen much of any use, that mod will have caused corrosion in the muzzle section of the barrel.

Get that mod off first with a bit of heat from a heat gun, clean the barrel to the grooves and then inspect with a good light what the barrel looks like.

John_R

I would go with the majority and walk away.

However, I will admit that one of my first ever rifles was a Anschutz. 22LR upon which was a moderator that the owner said was permanently fixed. I reached a deal and bought it, turned out it shot very well.

Not long after, I successfully removed the mod, and found that the muzzle and recessed crown were OK if rather filthy.

As for the mod, that turned out to be an early DM80. Dave Mercer verified this and told me it's good up to. 223. I gave it a thorough clean up and just shelved it.

I still shoot the rifle, now with a Sak mod. I really ought to sell the DM80 as it just takes up space.

The deer man

If a private sale once off his ticket I doubt you'll get a refund!? If being sold by a gunsmith/shop then make them take the mod off and if they won't walk out of the door, in fact run!

The scope is worth some money if in good condition and that may be worth the purchase or punt!? As its an end of barrel mod you could just cut the mod off, re-thread and re-crown assuming the barrel looks OK after its been cleaned and inspected (before you buy)? That's assuming its not one of those 'Curly Whirly' barrels as it might not have enough straight (no Curly Whirly) barrel at the end to cut it.

Just remember if the barrel is knackered a new one will start from about £600 min upwards, in fact it could end up not much less than say a new Tikka T3x. What calibre is the rifle (not that it matters)?

Ok thanks for the advice and normally I think I would be the same as the majority on here ,
however it has a swarovski z6i ballistic turret scope on it ,
its a steyr mannlicher luxus ,stock is very tidy ,chequering still crisp ,doesn’t appear to have done much work at all !
old chap had it and loctite the mod on as he was paranoid aboutit coming off ,
£1395 probably room for movement !
still not sure whether to take a punt .......
I have been assured if it doesn't shoot straight I can get a refund etc ,

Cyres

Why not put 5 shots through it to get barrel hot take a bady boa and unscrew it. If it wont come off then no thank you. If it does look at crown and make your decision

D

Mick9abf

If the scope is in good nick buy it, that way the rifle is probably costing you £100 at that money and worse case sell it as a donor action or the stock/set trigger unit and you’ll not lose money. If he’s willing to budge on price even better.