mod to suit a traditional style stalking rifle

exmarksman9870

Well i am looking forward to my .270 rifle being refurbished by peter of pietas venatores.... I would like to ask what moderator would suit a more classic style stalking rifle..i dont want to stick a massive can on it more a moderator that will go with the flow so to speak...

Any thoughts...cheers

exmarksman9870

I know what your saying but it is screw cut so im using a mody not that i find the .270 too much to handle just i pref it with a moderator on i use a pred 8 on it just now but its not what i would like...would think of bluing it the same as the rifle ...

jcampbellsmith

Well i am looking forward to my .270 rifle being refurbished by peter of pietas venatores.... I would like to ask what moderator would suit a more classic style stalking rifle..i dont want to stick a massive can on it more a moderator that will go with the flow so to speak...

Any thoughts...cheers
Jet-Z or AU-SL5. Regards JCS

Markfox

Lawrence titanium aurora compact - over barrel - 300 grams - black / blued colour and won't gas cut with your 270

strangely enough that's what I use on my 6.5 :)

bradstalk

Iv got ase utra on my .270 it's nice and compact but isn't over the barrel type so makes rifle setup quite long, the rifle is on my profile pick behind the buck if you want to see size etc

McKenzie

Here's my Sako 75 with an Ase Utra Compact Jet-z. It's a very good mod & seems to be indestructible but it turns the rifle into a pig to handle & makes it fantastically long.

Peter is currently making an invisible thread protector for me for when I'm woodland stalking & away from human habitation.View attachment 52890View attachment 52891

Ronin

Distinguished Member
Have to agree that "none" would be my answer.

Ive refurbished a few classic rifles and rebarrelled with threaded and capped muzzles but prefer the clean lines than those with a can on the end..

stag1933

Moderators.
They are not efficient on big bores anyway as the speed of sound is about 1100 feet-per-second if memory serves me correctly.
The big bores with M/V in excess of 2700 FPS are still noisy brutes with `moderators` fitted besides being long and ugly.
How anyone can justify £600 for a short , threaded pipe with a few baffles and an expansion chamber I do not know !

HWH.

The tramp

Moderators.
They are not efficient on big bores anyway as the speed of sound is about 1100 feet-per-second if memory serves me correctly.
The big bores with M/V in excess of 2700 FPS are still noisy brutes with `moderators` fitted besides being long and ugly.
How anyone can justify £600 for a short , threaded pipe with a few baffles and an expansion chamber I do not know !

HWH.
Maybe so, but believe me, it's worth having one. I can comfortably use my 338LM with my third eye spartan mod all day without ear protection, but just one shot without the mod will ring your ears for days. You will always get the bullet noise if supersonic, and it goes without question, that a bigger frontal area will make more noise as it needs to shift more air out of it's way, but no moderator can quieten the supersonic crack, only the muzzle blast.

Regards

Pete

Home | Varminting UK

sir-lamp-alot

probs going to get shot down for this but i quite like the look of the old pes (i think they were called) mods, there long old beasts but they were quite thin and where they travelled a long way back up the barrel they look better in my eyes than a chubby little thing hanging on the end

exmarksman9870

probs going to get shot down for this but i quite like the look of the old pes (i think they were called) mods, there long old beasts but they were quite thin and where they travelled a long way back up the barrel they look better in my eyes than a chubby little thing hanging on the end
I know u mean sort of flows with the barrel...