Moderator on a K95

stevenedwards

Hi All
I am still trying to decide on the spec of rifle No. 2. The responses to my other question are leading me in the direction of a single shot weapon and a scope with integral rail. As per the title, has any one put a moderator on a Blaser K95 or similar, whilst I am not sure it would look to good a moderator is a basic requirement.
Any thoughts appreciated.

Steven.

Hornet 6

Any barrel can be threaded, it's up to you as to what you feel looks ok
Personally I'd love a K95 (steel action only) but it would not be threaded

Neil.

stevenedwards

Hi Neil
Moderators don't add to the appearance of any sporting rifle but the K95 is particularly elegant so its a worry.

Steven

Hunt-Inter

I think adding a mod to a K95 will make it look awful, affect resale drastically, and ruin what it is meant to be... lightweight, pointable, elegant.

Its hard to find a used K95 and new ones start from around £4000, so if its for a job personally id buy some cheap bolt action thing and put a mod on it and then use the rest of the money for a used K95.

Lateral

Hi All
I am still trying to decide on the spec of rifle No. 2. The responses to my other question are leading me in the direction of a single shot weapon and a scope with integral rail. As per the title, has any one put a moderator on a Blaser K95 or similar, whilst I am not sure it would look to good a moderator is a basic requirement.

Steven.

I have a K95 on order, but the stutzen. Do the same, and a mod becomes a mute point. Personally, I think fitting a mod defeats the whole reason for having a kipplauf rifle.

Oh, speak to Chris at Swillingtons regarding price.

Claret_Dabbler

Hi All

Steven.
I know of one K95 that was threaded, it initially had a moderator, and then it had a muzzle break, obviously necessary in the mega kicking 6.5x55.

It is a sin against God and man to do such a thing.

takbok

If you want a K95 with a moderator, buy it. There are some lovely lightweight moderators available that wont cause the rifle to be unbalanced. You can always get a nice thread protector made if you want to use it without mod.

Funny how some folks are happy to stick a modern scope on a classic rifle but think that a moderator looks ugly.

Southern

The main reasons to buy a K95 single shot are its light weight, short length, and beauty.
When you start adding moderators and giant rifle scopes, you might as well buy an cut down bolt action in a plastic stock. It's like putting a luggage basket on top of a Porsche 911 to make it a DIY SUV.

adrian0100

I have never heard such snobbery ooow you can't do that to that rifle because it's so stunning and your make it look like any other rifle. What a load of bs

yes it can easily be done and it can be done very well with a thread protector so you won't see it. At the end of the day your rifle your choice. Personally if I could afford it and wanted a mod then o would do so
all the best

deeangeo

Astonishing to do such a thing to a K95.
Of course it can be done, but hell it defeats the whole reason for having a kipplauf.

Heym SR20

Really good feature on Kipplauf's on this weeks fieldsports britain - minute 13 onwards.

Fieldsports Britain - Delicious Rabbit - YouTube

One point is that the longer barrel of the Jager at 24" does make the muzzle blast and noise very much less than the shorter barreled ones. 25" is even better and that still makes a short compact package.

The trouble with most moderators is that their styling doesn't fit - if I was going to put one on it would need to be beautifully machined, lightweight and finished to a standard equivalent to the rest of the rifle. Most moderators I have seen and handled don't have that feeling of quality - fine on a plastic stocked T3 or AR15, but not on a fine rifle. Picatinny rail mounts fall in the same category as well and scopes with twiddly turrets fall in the same category.

Their is only one scope for a Kipplauf and that is a 6x42 on 1" tube. If you need a variable then it has to be the z3 in 3-9x36 fitted with elegant claw or swing mounts.

Last edited:

I have a k95 that's not moderated and as a result barely ever use it. It gets used in a high seat on a cold day when I can bare to wear ear muffs which completely defeats the point.

I have mocked it up with a moderator and the biggest issue is the very short forearm which makes a moderator look very out front and the whole thing unbalanced. Put an extra 2-3" on the forearm, keep the barrel at 21" and use a slim moderator like a hertz classic and you would have a very nice rifle. I am investigating a custom fore end.

FWIW the k95 is a loud rifle as despite a 24" barrel the lack of a room makes it shorter overall and the muzzle blast is closer to your ear.

Last edited:

The other thing to say is that the blaser saddle mount is quite high even in it's lowest configuration. I think the rail looks better than rings as the rings end up being spaced rather asymmetricaly. I do have a 1" tube 6x42 in mine but there is a big gap twist objective and barrel which isn't ideal. Actually I think a 50mm objective would look better.

Southern

Still looking for a roof rack for the Porsche
VW made one for the 1960s Beetle that might work. Don't forget to put on some mud grip tires, too. Seriously, I guess a moderator is not all that bad on a single shot rifle, but a Thompson Center would do for that, just to keep the Merkel, Blaser, or Heym uncut.

deeangeo

I have a k95 that's not moderated and as a result barely ever use it. It gets used in a high seat on a cold day when I can bare to wear ear muffs which completely defeats the point.

I have mocked it up with a moderator and the biggest issue is the very short forearm which makes a moderator look very out front and the whole thing unbalanced. Put an extra 2-3" on the forearm, keep the barrel at 21" and use a slim moderator like a hertz classic and you would have a very nice rifle. I am investigating a custom fore end.

FWIW the k95 is a loud rifle as despite a 24" barrel the lack of a room makes it shorter overall and the muzzle blast is closer to your ear.
'Loud' is when the muzzle is mag-na-ported, otherwise, the volume is no different to any other rifle.

As to a mod., well each to their own, but I have most certainly shot very many deer with my K95 since 2003 when I bought it & as my ears were knackered long ago from loud music & shooting, I no longer worry about it.
But from a hunting point of view, the report of a shot, nor reloading, doesn't hinder taking several hinds/calves at a time when required.
To my eyes though, a mod. does destroy all the fine attributes the K95 has and gives no benefit that you couldn't get from using good hearing protection.
Not criticising, Just my opinion.

The other thing to say is that the blaser saddle mount is quite high even in it's lowest configuration. I think the rail looks better than rings as the rings end up being spaced rather asymmetricaly. I do have a 1" tube 6x42 in mine but there is a big gap twist objective and barrel which isn't ideal. Actually I think a 50mm objective would look better.
My K95 has an 8x56 fitted and as I've never in all my shooting days used any other mag/obj scope, seems quite normal and most definitely comfortable for my ageing eyes.
Most 50mm obj. lens scopes seem to have 30mm tubes, whereas the 56mm obj. is available with 26mm tubes.
Either way sufficient height is required, but I'm not sure a 30mm tube is needed for normal hunting. However, it seems modern scopes tend to have 30mm tubes.

Last edited:

To my eyes though, a mod. does destroy all the fine attributes the K95 has and gives no benefit that you couldn't get from using good hearing protection.

For hill or open country I agree but I like to walk in the woods/hedgerows for quite long distances and earmuffs get very hot and uncomfortable. Pausing to put them on leads to missed opportunities and electronic plugs provide much less protection - I know as I've lost some hearing with them.

The K95 has lots of qualities - number 1 for me is the ability to teach my sons safe shooting - unloading silently for each obstacle and having them carry the rifle knowing it's safe.

stevenedwards

An interesting variety a replies, especially from those who own and use one. I spent time handling a K95 on Gregors stand at the show on Saturday which did not help the dilemma much. On the way up I dropped in to Brian at Fox Firearms to examine the Preifer Waffen SR2. That was interesting as it offers a compact size with full length barrel and simple quiet operation. A moderator looks more in keeping than it does with most rifles particularly a K95 also manual cocking. I am investigating available specifications and how to put a scope with integral rail on to a pica tiny rail, lots of mecano I guess.
Thanks for the feed back