Moderator or barrel re- thread

dropmdead

As per the title, if you have bought a rifle with out a moderator and you realise that the moderator you have doesn't fit, do you recut the muzzle threads if you have "enough" barrel length or buy a new moderator.
There's obviously a big difference in potential cost if you buy a new moderator over s/h

Miki

If you have authority to purchase a moderator for the new rifle and your existing moderator is suitable for the bullet in both rifles, then i'd most likely have the barrel re-threaded. If you have an existing DPT then you could purchase a new vertex chamber/bridge to screw on and then swap the baffle stack between rifles. If the calibers are significantly different then i'd by a specific moderator...

PKL

if your local smith insists on re-proofing after threading, I'd certainly buy a new mod and save the time, trouble, money and risk of rifle being damaged in proof house.

Sonicdmb73

If it happened to be a smaller thread than what was on the rifle. I would buy a Hausken reducing bush. If the barrel was bigger I would probably buy a new Hausken moderator as the price difference between threading and the ones I already have it’s not worth messing around.

Cyres

Simple you invest in a Wildcat evo and just select the correct bridge piece. I have 2 Evos and currently 4 bridging pieces so moddy's fit on 6 C/F's. Fortunately two back bushes fit the relevant barrel dias.

D

Edinburgh Rifles

If you have authority to purchase a moderator for the new rifle and your existing moderator is suitable for the bullet in both rifles, then i'd most likely have the barrel re-threaded. If you have an existing DPT then you could purchase a new vertex chamber/bridge to screw on and then swap the baffle stack between rifles. If the calibers are significantly different then i'd by a specific moderator...
Be aware that the new MkII DPT components are not compatible with the original MKI components

dropmdead

I've been lucky out of this one.... I managed to change the bush on a Ase Utra moderator.
J. Russell firearms at bathgate had the relevant tools to do the swap for me.