Moderator ... thread existing barrel or new rifle?

ileso

There's been a law change over here and we will be allowed moderators now (also allowed to lend guns to visitors as well).

So my question is, I have an older ZKK600 flavoured in 270win. Would you guys thread an existing barrel or would it be better to get a factory threaded rifle?

Tim.243

What answers have you gunsmiths given, have they experience in threading barrels due to the previous law.
From a practical point things need to be concentric to the bore also parallel with the bore axis.

Machining that on round bar is easy, having a long tapered bit in a chuck takes a bit of time served knowledge....

Tim.243

Dalua

I am a big fan of moderators. However I also like older rifles, and have some which will never be cut for a moderator becuase I feel that it's a desecration.

So, if you feel as I do about 'classic' rifles, it might be better to buy another one factory-threaded. That way, your old one will remain as nature intended - and you can use it when a moderator might be annoying - on driven game, for example.

People will argue quite correctly that even a foresight can be preserved when a rifle is threaded - so that might not be a problem.

A secondary consideration might be the availability of competent riflesmiths to do the work? In the UK, we've had decades of moderator use - yet still one hears of 'craftsmen' who attempt this work with unsatisfactory results.

ejg

You have very good tool makers over there or? Some prefer to cut the threads on a cnc milling machine. They just need to know what they are doing. edi

takbok

There's been a law change over here and we will be allowed moderators now (also allowed to lend guns to visitors as well).

So my question is, I have an older ZKK600 flavoured in 270win. Would you guys thread an existing barrel or would it be better to get a factory threaded rifle?
Get your rifle threaded. An easy job for a competent gunsmith / machinist.

McKenzie

I have a ZKK 600 in 7x57 with 24" barrel & an invisible thread cover (no front sight; it's been rebarreled). I can't really imagine using a moderator on this rifle as it would destroy the handling completely & make it insanely long. If I wanted to use a moderated rifle I'd get another rifle in a calibre that lends itself to a short barrel & then when moderated you'll have something that still handles.

ileso

You have very good tool makers over there or? Some prefer to cut the threads on a cnc milling machine. They just need to know what they are doing. edi
... Very good toolmakers, yes, competent gunsmiths, I couldn't say. None would have experience threading barrels for mods.

I am also of the mind that it may be best to get a modern rifle factory threaded (maybe 308)... It might be too risky to do it to the current rifle. It's old, it's lovely to shoot, I really like it..

Enviado do meu PRA-LX1 através do Tapatalk

Heym SR20

If you have a good rifle that shoots well don't mess it up.

If you want a moderated rifle get one ready threaded and get used to the handling of a scaffolding poll. (although to be fair some of the latest generation mods are a lot better than the used to be.

ejg

Maybe the easiest to get that T3 in 308 that you always wanted .:p You probably won't even use the old rifle then.
edi

Uncas

Tony, get a Bergara B14 timber rifle in .308 threaded 22 inch barrel 14x1 or woodsman, ideal for you, made just over the border.

Dalua

If they can thread and chamber a barrel at the fat end am sure they’ll manage a muzzle job

But why not by another anyway!
It's the 'if' that tells here, I think.
Most people's rifle-barrels are already chambered and stuck into an action. It might therefore be that the capacity of the people able to do the fat-end work is not high enough for them also to manage all the thin-end work that increased demand for moderators will bring.
This will likely as not cause the service to be offered by those whose desire to make a quick buck exceeds their skill at the machine.

Same conclusion, though:
Buy a new rifle!
:)