Mods and the LAW!

Treedave

Here's the situation,
I need to replace the mod I've got on my ticket for my .308. I know that I have to show disposal (its knackered so I'll just give it to the RFD).Do I then need a variation for my non numbered sound mod to be replaced with another non numbered sound mod?
Please tell me I don't need to wait 4 weeks for a replacement steel tube with no moving parts!:eek:

YEP! unfortunatly you do need a variation (one for one) for this my brother just had the same problem as his t8 had split he had to hand it in to the rfd and then apply for a 1-4-1 before he could get a replacement

What mod is it and what do you want to replace it with, if it is a t8 and you want to replace it with a t8 speak with jackson rifles and they will do a straight swap.If it is a t8 they will give you about £90 for your old one too

Strictly you should do a 1 for 1 but may RFDs will allow you to swap a unknown make and unknown serial number mod for another.

If there is no serial number or make on your FAC just go to your gun shop. If he takes your old one and gives you a new one after exchanging some cash who is to know?

Dave

Just 'sell' it, and buy a new one, making sure that you send in the transfer of ownership papers to the FAO.

Well that's a range of answers! From the PITA 4 weeks min plus paperwork thru to a 10 mins at a friendly RFD.

To answer some of the posts, its a predator 8, the FAC shows no name or number (probably for good reason knowing the FAO) for any of my mods.
Thanks for the answers guys.:)

Ahhh surely if it's a Wildcat P8 then due to it's modular build you can replace the worn bits. What exactly is worn out?

PICT0105.jpg

PICT0110.jpg

My P8 in 300mm length

PICT0107.jpg

That central bit with the stainless blast baffle unscrews and can be replaced on it's own as I understand it.

Non numbered mod can just be changed for another non numbered mod no probs,

Wildcat also supply all the parts for the P8 direct so you can repair it yerself.

Nice mods actually,, I got mine brand new for 50 quid on ebay :D

just trying to take it apart at mo (soaking in hot water), there are two options on the knackered bit. Looking in the business end I can see one of the holes near the exit is worn / collapsed / bit missing. Other option IMO is there's something in the part that accepts the thread on the rifle , hence the hot water to unwind them. Once apart I'll try and get shot of the part. It shows itself as a 1" group with no mod, 3-4" group with the mod (all with sako 75 in 308 @ 100 yds) , all on home loads from the same batch.
Thoughts welcome
I'd heard they're less than cheap to get parts for and I'm impressed with my new mod on the 243, so why pay to repair something your less than happy with

Brithunter
Its the holey tube behind the blast baffle as per pic 3, if you look in the end as per pic 1 one of the holes nearest the exit shows the damage.IMG_0022.jpg

Last edited:
Non numbered mod can just be changed for another non numbered mod no probs,

Wildcat also supply all the parts for the P8 direct so you can repair it yerself.

Nice mods actually,, I got mine brand new for 50 quid on ebay :D

Why do I never see them on eBay? I've heard a few people have bought them off there, but never seen one on there.

Just go and get one there's no requirement for any variation if you have on your certificate one mod or ten mods that's what your entitled to

Why do I never see them on eBay? I've heard a few people have bought them off there, but never seen one on there.

The bloke bought it at a couriers undelivered item auction,, thought it was for an air rifle :D

No one else bid on it, cause they all assumed you needed it to be on ticket to buy it,, bargain for me !!

Sounds like you need to clean it more. They should not be difficult to strip. Mine got so once as I had put a fair few rounds through it and not cleaned it. The stainless blast plate is showing signs of pitting on mine but it's had 500+ rounds through it. I have washed it a couple of times and always smear the threads and o-rings with grease on reassembly.

just trying to take it apart at mo (soaking in hot water), there are two options on the knackered bit. Looking in the business end I can see one of the holes near the exit is worn / collapsed / bit missing. Other option IMO is there's something in the part that accepts the thread on the rifle , hence the hot water to unwind them. Once apart I'll try and get shot of the part. It shows itself as a 1" group with no mod, 3-4" group with the mod (all with sako 75 in 308 @ 100 yds) , all on home loads from the same batch.
Thoughts welcome
I'd heard they're less than cheap to get parts for and I'm impressed with my new mod on the 243, so why pay to repair something your less than happy with

Brithunter
Its the holey tube behind the blast baffle as per pic 3, if you look in the end as per pic 1 one of the holes nearest the exit shows the damage.View attachment 10717

Has the 3-4" grouping just started? That and the damage (difficult to see properly because the photo is blurred) suggests you have bullet clipping issues. I did wonder if the crown of the rifle is corroded or damaged (but if it will 1" group without the mod, the crown is probably ok).

It will be interesting to see some pics of the components after you have dismantled the mod.

David TS,
The pic of the mod part is off my phone hence the "top" quality!. What appears to be a triangle of shadow is in fact missing metal from the otherwise smooth circular edge within the end of the mod. I've the mod apart know apart from the actual part that threads on to the end of the rifle. The crown on the rifle appears fine, smooth and clean.
My inability to seperate the two parts next to the thread receiver on the mod suggests that there is some corrosion in there, this may then be stopping the mod from sitting square on the end of the rifle. Until I force it apart in a vice I don't know, time for some brake cleaner, a vice and some elbow grease!

Back