Money Grabbing ######s

Tim.243

Thought I would just check the local weather before heading out….

Each and every click these days is after your cash….

VLJatca.jpg

GuISbvc.jpg

Tim.243

Running a website costs money. Either see some ads and get it free, or pay a bit of money to avoid ads.

Not quite what might be reasonably expected. Data is private and confidential (DPA etc). Costs for website owners can be recovered in other ways. I have an ad blocker and pay nothing, choosing not to visit sites which want to disable the ad blocker or charge.
The choice should be to opt-in - too many tech stuff is opt-out.

Costs for website owners can be recovered in other ways.

Other ways such as?? They either get a revenue from the advertises who pay for space on the website, or they get revenue from user of the website who don't want to look at the adverts and will pay to have them removed. If everyone opts out of seeing Ads then there's no point in paying for advertising space and everyone pulls out = no revenue. I'm struggling to think of any other ways they can recover their costs?

Not quite what might be reasonably expected. Data is private and confidential (DPA etc). Costs for website owners can be recovered in other ways. I have an ad blocker and pay nothing, choosing not to visit sites which want to disable the ad blocker or charge.
The choice should be to opt-in - too many tech stuff is opt-out.

Running a small website like this one is not terribly expensive - but the costs are still there. Running a website accessed by millions is neither trivial or cheap. Not to mention the cost of the data they provide - that is not free either. Someone somewhere has to pay.

Running a small website like this one is not terribly expensive - but the costs are still there. Running a website accessed by millions is neither trivial or cheap. Not to mention the cost of the data they provide - that is not free either. Someone somewhere has to pay.

Really!

Well if you could see the mess this site was in when we bought it and what it cost to put it right. It also takes a lot of our time to moderate it too, plus ongoing costs. Mind you you would be surprised sometimes at the response we get when we ask some people to pay £10 for trade membership :rolleyes: they think its free :lol:

always use XCweather, though I do think they are a bit optimistic sometimes, but they do update their info regularly. Ads are there, but not too annoying.

Really!

Well if you could see the mess this site was in when we bought it and what it cost to put it right. It also takes a lot of our time to moderate it too, plus ongoing costs. Mind you you would be surprised sometimes at the response we get when we ask some people to pay £10 for trade membership :rolleyes: they think its free :lol:

It is all relative.

If you have the skills to do it yourself then it won't cost as much as getting a man in to sort it for you. I'm guessting you have one server serving all the traffic here - relatively simple. When you are dealing with a website which has hundreds of thousands of users - or millions (I deal with these in my day job) then the costs start to escalate rapidly. Load balancers, redundant systems, multiple data centres worlswide to balance the load and reduce latency by redirecting traffic closer to the customer, content delivery networks - application firewalls - because, you are big and a target to bad people - DDoS mitigation (bad people again). And of course you need to hire the skills to manage this stuff 24x7 - including developers to keep the website running, efficient, bug free, and secure. You can't just go and buy a bespoke weather website off the shelf like you can with vBulletin.

Running a website costs money, and larger ones can cost even more!

always use XCweather, though I do think they are a bit optimistic sometimes, but they do update their info regularly. Ads are there, but not too annoying.

XC used to be reliable, it changed and the predictions no longer match what you see out of the window.

Back