Money

Years ago,not with the vet I have now. Dog in for a procedure , asked roughly how much. About £200.Yep go ahead. Picked up the dog and the bill £400.21p. Paid the bill. But questioned it. The young girl on reception ( bless her) said she would have a word with the vet. The vet phoned me and said call in and he would explain the bill, called and made an appointment. All explained such as 6p per plastic glove and other sundries etc.Thanks to the vet you've sorted out my dog. On the way out the young receptionist ( bless her) said that'll be £35 please . Why I asked, well that's another consultation.🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
Had that when r ball bags lost his balls lol. I asked thecreceprionist to see the vet . She came back and waved the 40 note appointment fee. I said I've paid for the operation . Let's have none of this follow up bollox

Cheeky sods they are . But they know me now lol.lol

Kjf

30 minutes consultation with no treatment I would hope to pay £30-40

No idea what the actual price would be….
Interesting, thanks very much for commenting. Actual price would usually be anything from £30-60 for 15 minutes. In fairness, I feel 15 minutes is a push to do a good examination (especially if the animal is uncooperative) discuss findings and then run through and explain the ins and outs of a case and make sure the client understands the issue, treatment and also the likely outsomes and the plan going forwards.

I personally feel this is where a lot of dissatisfaction stems from. I suspect that people often leave a consult with little more understanding about what is going on than when they went in and that does not equate to value for money.

I recently paid for the cat to be euthanised and it cost £105 at the vet. That included a consultation and the advice that the cat was fuuked (we knew this already but always good to get a second opinion)
I felt that the bill was reasonable for this job, although I could have done it myself for about 5p but the Mrs would not allow it unfortunately….

Interestingly, to get a cremation for this cat was going to be another £350 !!
Obviously we didn’t choose this option.

I

Please do not infer any tone from this post in any way. I just really want to understand why there is such a vehement resentment of the veterinary profession and why vets are just seen as money grabbers! There are a host of professions where the money comes a damn sight faster and easier than being a vet!

Ok hows this
Took my lurcher to the vet two months ago.
One weeks antibiotics £144
Removal of 7 teeth £2000

Called every vet local to me ( East Lothian)
Apart from trying to tell me they needed to see the dog to quote on the teethe removal , they all came in ( eventually) at £1500 plus aftercare

I changed vet and went to the Scottish Borders

1 weeks antibiotics £24
Removal of 12 teeth plus after care plus worming tablets for all my dogs plus puppy care pack for daft pup. £570

Now look at that closely
I could have got a taxi to the borders, put the dog into the vet, stayed in a hotel and had a nights food and drink then got a taxi back up to East Lothian with the dog and still have save many hundreds of pounds.

Hope that helps explain it a little.

Absolute thieving shites.
Happy to skin eejits with fluffy wee fanny lickers to the very max and then hammer the insurance companies wallets to boot.

Ok hows this
Removal of 7 teeth £2000

Apart from trying to tell me they needed to see the dog to quote on the teethe removal , they all came in ( eventually) at £1500 plus aftercare

1 weeks antibiotics £24
Removal of 12 teeth plus after care plus worming tablets for all my dogs plus puppy care pack for daft pup. £570

Now look at that closely
I could have got a taxi to the borders, put the dog into the vet, stayed in a hotel and had a nights food and drink then got a taxi back up to East Lothian with the dog and still have save many hundreds of pounds.

Happy to skin eejits with fluffy wee fanny lickers to the very max and then hammer the insurance companies wallets to boot.
That's insane!
I had a bullock castrated a few months ago, and the bill was £9 for the operation and about the same again for meds.

My first dog was at the end of his life and we had decided to bring the vet to him, he was a big dog and I didn’t want to put him through the discomfort of hefting him into the car. As the vet was on his way he passed away naturally so the vet just checked him over and confirmed he was dead. They told us that we didn’t owe them anything.
Some years later our next dog was run over and killed instantly, my wife called the vet, they came out and confirmed it, took him back to the surgery and then arranged for the cremation service to collect him. Again, no fee for their time as we were loyal customers.
Moving forward a few years and the vet and his wife (also a vet) decided to retire and sold their practice to CVS Group, now they know how to charge better than the Light Brigade.

Consequently I have left that practice and joined a local independent, but their prices are almost equally high because CVS have set the bar so high.

Ya pulling my leg Tim
Bullock IE castrated male bovine
Bull IE bovine with balls in
No.
If you castrate a bullock and it becomes a steer.
If you don't castrate a bullock it grows up and becomes a bull.

(At least, that's the terminology here. I guess there may be regional variations).

Ok hows this
Removal of 7 teeth £2000

1 weeks antibiotics £24

Now look at that closely

In fairness, yeah, that is pretty steep, depending on how difficult the teeth were to remove and what level of equipement the practice has.
If they were surgical extractions then it is basically facial surgery to remove the teeth. If they were rotten as hell then they will sometimes pop out in 2 seconds. I think there is an important concept to highlight here in that some vetreinary surgeries are now almost approaching the level of full on human trauma centres with staff to match, while others are essentially a GP surgery. Should the two charge the same? Taking into account the gulf in investment? The charging in top tier hospitals helps pay for on site care that enables you to have everything from a vaccine for an animal to an emergency CT scan with full hospital facilities following open chest heart surgery. My boss recently looked at investing in a dental x-ray system to help diagnose dental problems more thoroughly and plan extractions. Nearly £20K. Couldn't justify it, but it means that I sometimes have to refer cases to vets with said equipment, who probably charge more for their procedures.

I do understand your point of view aand yeah, that was a pretty pricey estimate, but ultimately, do exactly as you have and go elsewhere. Now I do have sympathy for those who have no independent alternative near them, in that situation insurance is likely pretty important.

Realistically I guess there are both types out there, those who charge over the odds and those who don't. Only thing I suppose I would ask is that people try to remember that the staff who you see day to day at the coal face sure as hell aren't seeing the salary you might expect based on what the bill might be.

No. You're wrong.
If you castrate a bullock and it becomes a steer.
If you don't castrate a bullock it grows up and becomes a bull.
ah we have different terminology it seems.

An entire male cattle beast is a bull from birth, IE bull calf all the way to Bull status.
When an entire male cattle beast is cut it then is a steer and when grown out for a few years to heavy weight it is then labelled as a bullock

I am blessed with being near 3 vey good independents vets, who charge very reasonable prices.

From my standpoint I do also remember my old gaffer telling some one who thought that the electrician ( me ! ) was charging too much " 50p for the fuse and £50.00 for find out the cause of what was blowing it ! "

I went to the vets yesterday to pick up some tablets the receptionist said that will be £40 and 1 pence even she looked embarrassed.
Took my daughter's cat to the vet with a small inflamed bald patch on its leg. Five minute consultation and antibiotic injection. £154. Follow up appt 2 weeks later and no improvement. Another 5 minute consultation and another anti-B injection £105. Another week and no improvement so forget the vet, I used Germolene plus neck collar and the problem resolved in about 8 days. I had an irregular heart beat a couple of years back. NHS wanted me to wait 3-4 months to see a consultant so I got out the credit card and went private. One hour in a private hospital with a consultant cardiologist, ECG, bloods, etc. Total cost £165. No wonder there's a shortage on doctors in the NHS; they've all become vets!

ah we have different terminology it seems.

An entire male cattle beast is a bull from birth, IE bull calf all the way to Bull status.
When an entire male cattle beast is cut it then is a steer and when grown out for a few years to heavy weight it is then labelled as a bullock
This has piqued my interest, so I spent a few minutes looking it up.
About a third of the references defined bullock as a young bull, about a third defined it as a castrated bull (or steer), and the remainder said it could be either.

So we'll call it a draw :tiphat:

Back