Money

Ok hows this
Took my lurcher to the vet two months ago.
One weeks antibiotics £144
Removal of 7 teeth £2000

Called every vet local to me ( East Lothian)
Apart from trying to tell me they needed to see the dog to quote on the teethe removal , they all came in ( eventually) at £1500 plus aftercare

I changed vet and went to the Scottish Borders

1 weeks antibiotics £24
Removal of 12 teeth plus after care plus worming tablets for all my dogs plus puppy care pack for daft pup. £570

Now look at that closely
I could have got a taxi to the borders, put the dog into the vet, stayed in a hotel and had a nights food and drink then got a taxi back up to East Lothian with the dog and still have save many hundreds of pounds.

Hope that helps explain it a little.

Absolute thieving shites.
Happy to skin eejits with fluffy wee fanny lickers to the very max and then hammer the insurance companies wallets to boot.

What I have noticed is the vast majority folk do not care what the inside of a practice looks like. High end monitoring equipment? Lots of nurses to monitor anaesthetics and patient recovery?

I’m not for one second saying that the £570 didn’t do a good job. They may have done an excellent job. But some folk just want the job done at the cheapest possible price and aren’t fussed about how it’s done.

I’ve seen taxidermy posts which folk are happy with which was significantly ‘cheaper than most’ but I wouldn’t be pleased with it. You pays your money and makes your choices.

What I have noticed is the vast majority folk do not care what the inside of a practice looks like. High end monitoring equipment? Lots of nurses to monitor anaesthetics and patient recovery?

I’m not for one second saying that the £570 didn’t do a good job. They may have done an excellent job. But some folk just want the job done at the cheapest possible price and aren’t fussed about how it’s done.

I’ve seen taxidermy posts which folk are happy with which was significantly ‘cheaper than most’ but I wouldn’t be pleased with it. You pays your money and makes your choices.
The vet I used was as qualified and professional as any and was in a thoroughly modern and well equipped practice serving a huge area including farms and livery.

To even suggest that a “ cheap” vet does a worse job is ludicrous. ( I know you aren’t suggesting that but it’s where the assumption takes people )

It’s the “ high end” vets that are the problem here.

The vet I used was as qualified and professional as any and was in a thoroughly modern and well equipped practice serving a huge area including farms and livery.

To even suggest that a “ cheap” vet does a worse job is ludicrous. ( I know you aren’t suggesting that but it’s where the assumption takes people )

It’s the “ high end” vets that are the problem here.

Glad it worked out well in the end!

My scenario
3 dogs going to France
Dog 1 heart rate checked and weighed less than five minutes £60
Repeat twice more 15 minutes in total
So £180 plus £50 for the paperwork
Total £230
Returning from France
Vet weighed 3 dogs wormed 3 dogs
2 rabies injections 3 registrations on the French I cad system filled out paperwork for the return
€180 this included €30 for I cad registration so vet fees €150 for much more treatment and medication bargain I think and to end it all my dogs now have EU passports so my uk vet gets nothing from me going forward

My scenario
3 dogs going to France
Total £230
Returning from France
2 rabies injections 3 registrations on the French I cad system filled out paperwork for the return
€180 this included €30 for I cad registration so vet fees €150 for much more treatment and medication bargain I think and to end it all my dogs now have EU passports so my uk vet gets nothing from me going forward
This is what I advise everyone tries to do whenever I do AHC paperwork. Try to get an EU Pet passport while out there. I have zero interest in paperwork exercises and even less ambition to charge for them. Sadly though as they are quite detailed and have to be 100% correct they come with a lot of potential problems so they take time to get correct and time has to be charged for. I am always happy when people take the advice and manage to get one out of an EU Vet!

Everyone thinks they aren't paid enough and thinks everyone else is paid to much. It's simple really.
Average wages are lower compared to every other metric at the moment which have continued to rise. People who can charge more are doing so (as they should) but those who are paid and can't set their prices are stuffed and worse off. Only the very rich have gotten richer and the divide between them and the rest of us has grown considerably.

T
Go to vets for medications aaaaahhhhhhhh

Buy online...little aarghh
They have boxed it off here John with POM-V regs aka licence to print money. Get it cheaper on internet yup…… until my vet upped their charge for writing a prescription from £17 to £50 !!!! This from one of those “nice” independent vets. They are all cut from the same cloth

This from one of those “nice” independent vets. They are all cut from the same cloth
We don't need prescriptions for any of the antithelmics. Mate buys from vet here and pays three x the online delivered cost.

As an aside I went to a Doctor 45 years ago as I had some ringworm on my stomach, picked it up from cattle and I wasnt sure what it was,anyway the farkin good(?) doctor gave me a script and off I went to the local pharmacy, presented script and I was handed a bottle of plain old iodine. Over the counter supermarket stuff ffs. That was a 3 x markup too lol.

My scenario
3 dogs going to France
Total £230
Returning from France

You’ll find most vets are recommending clients get an EU passport once they get over there. It’s much quicker on the pet passport than filling out the export certificate,(and I don’t know anyone who enjoys filling them out either).

It’s definitely not lost buisness put it that way. They’re a post brexit hassle.

This is what I advise everyone tries to do whenever I do AHC paperwork. Try to get an EU Pet passport while out there. I have zero interest in paperwork exercises and even less ambition to charge for them. Sadly though as they are quite detailed and have to be 100% correct they come with a lot of potential problems so they take time to get correct and time has to be charged for. I am always happy when people take the advice and manage to get one out of an EU Vet!

Beat me to it 😂 I’d to do it for one year maternity cover. Melted that stamp the minute my colleague was back through the door. Just admin and nothing interesting at all

Interesting, thanks very much for commenting. Actual price would usually be anything from £30-60 for 15 minutes. In fairness, I feel 15 minutes is a push to do a good examination (especially if the animal is uncooperative) discuss findings and then run through and explain the ins and outs of a case and make sure the client understands the issue, treatment and also the likely outsomes and the plan going forwards.

I personally feel this is where a lot of dissatisfaction stems from. I suspect that people often leave a consult with little more understanding about what is going on than when they went in and that does not equate to value for money.
I think the reason clients expect a lower bill is because they dont see the fact they are covering the receptionist wage, the building overheads, the vets wage and any equipment used.

T

They have boxed it off here John with POM-V regs aka licence to print money. Get it cheaper on internet yup…… until my vet upped their charge for writing a prescription from £17 to £50 !!!! This from one of those “nice” independent vets. They are all cut from the same cloth
£50 holy hell! That is....shocking! i think its £20.50 (Inc. the VAT) where I am. Which considering it takes me about 10 minutes to review the history, draft the document, print it out, wet sign it and then sometimes scan it back in and email it to the client isn't that awful I don't think.

Back