monteria in portugal

well guys , just got back from our hunting trip to portugal and it was one to remember .
met the guys at the airport weds morning, everyone had there guns and paper work so we went to the easyjet check in,
first cockup.
I was told by easyjet that we must book all ammo in as a separate piece of luggage at a cost of £25, when we got to the desk the girls told us that we could just put it in the luggage bags, so £200 wasted.
second cock up.
the serial number on my rifle didn't match that on my cert, resulting in the rifle spending the week in luton nick.
not to worry, we only just managed to get on the plane due to the delay
we landed in lisbon to nice warm weather to be greeted by friends joao and pedro
we had time to spare that afternoon so we went to zero the rifles.
third cockup.
albert left my shiny new rifle case on the ground where joao ran over it with the truck, smashing it to pieces. at this point I was past caring and just wanted to hit the superbock (portugals finest brew)
a carefree night was spent drinking and getting to know the lads, and what a cracking bunch they turned out to be.
after a cracking breakfast and a meet and greet we set about the first montaria on a private estate,
albert was first of the mark with 3 pigs shot in rapid sucession (his first boar ever)
other guys shot some boar to finish the day on 9 killed.
when we got back to camp we had a great lunch, then planned alberts iniatiation, which was to be a gruesome affair.
albert and a young portugese lad were tied up on chairs were they were covered in everything horrible contained within the pigs, not nice , but albert took it like a man, the young lad faired much worse and threw up afterwards, much to the delight of his mother.
after lots of photos and gereral p''s taking we left for a good night on the superbock.
day 2 was on another piece of ground, which was dense scrub, but holds lots of boar, we managed to kill 4 boar out of this , and young craig got his first 2 kills which was fantastic considering he was sitting up a tree while he took the shots.another iniatiation on the way.
after a fantastic lunch , craig got his kit off, to be baptised the only way the portugese know how this was followed by superbock and tapas in a local bar, great crack
day 3 was on another piece, this area looked fantastic with lots of open places in pine woods, we moved 3 times to cover some big areas, at the end of the day we had knocked down another 6 pigs and several foxs, giving a final bag of 19 boar over 3 hunts.
joao , the owner had a counter, which he recorded the shots, these ranged from 45 on the first hunt to 39 shots on the last day.
a massive lunch and red wine followed where we chilled and took the p''s out of each other all night in front of a log fire.
after packing and getting to the airport, we set about booking all the firearms in, this turned out to be a farce, but in the end we got it all through .
albert lost is boarding pass and had to go back for another one, simon was allowed through with a knife in his pocket and gabrial got pulled over because they found a knife in his backpack, just as well it was a cheap one.
while we were guzzeling down a big mac, the tannoy went up for last call, we raced to the gate ,where there was another tannoy for gabrial, ohh dear this is trouble.
we all piled on to the plane while gabrial was left to his fate, it turned out that he had left his ammo in his luggage and was picked up by security,this resulted in gabrial having to get a later flight to gatwick.

so thats it,
all in all a good trip with one or two hiccups
best things to come out of the trip was.
2 people shot their first boar
fantasic food
a big thank you to superbock lager which made the pain easier to bear.
and the best of all, we met some great people, most of which are members of the stalking directory.
so a big round of applause for
connor (aka gordon gekko)
albert (aka the fat controler)
gabrial (aka el gringo )
craig ( aka woody )
stan ( aka the oracle)
garry (aka big john wayne )
simon (aka mr mauser)

and me ( aka flash)

Many thanks for posting your account - I enjoyed reading it. I'm sorry to hear about your rifle, but other than that (and the few other cock-ups) it certainly sounds as though you had a great time. I look forward to hunting out there myself one day! :)

Cool, plenty piggies!
Not so sure about the excess of wrapping the guys up in pig guts....

oh and as an aside,
howa243 - Sounds excellent. Would very much like to do that one day.

The unbelievable hypocrisy, whines about bow-hunting injuries yet no mention of the injuries inflicted on running boar.
Maybe its a "oooh I have a rifle" thing. Would love to see the back-peddaling there on the first injured boar, please explain the 'ethics' now...

Cool, plenty piggies!
Not so sure about the excess of wrapping the guys up in pig guts....

oh and as an aside,

The unbelievable hypocrisy, whines about bow-hunting injuries yet no mention of the injuries inflicted on running boar.
Maybe its a "oooh I have a rifle" thing. Would love to see the back-peddaling there on the first injured boar, please explain the 'ethics' now...

Sure no problem at all. As far as I am aware its the only humane method of doing it. I would use a weapon that should complete the task in as humane a way as possible. I would not use one that was chosen to test me. I figure if you are going to take the life of an animal you do so in a way which is most likely to kill it. Simple.

An anti hunting 'study' previously discredited here in a past thread....

Are you suggesting that there is no increased likelyhood of wounding when using a bow rather than a cf rifle.

The above is an extract from the now closed thread to which I believe you are refering too. Do you really call that whining?

Sure no problem at all. As far as I am aware its the only humane method of doing it. I would use a weapon that should complete the task in as humane a way as possible. I would not use one that was chosen to test me. I figure if you are going to take the life of an animal you do so in a way which is most likely to kill it. Simple.
Are you suggesting that there is no increased likelyhood of wounding when using a bow rather than a cf rifle.
The above is an extract from the now closed thread to which I believe you are refering too. Do you really call that whining?

I am not wanting to resurrect the thread with the proven discredited (anti-hunting) report.

I am pointing out the blatant hypocrisy that you show regarding wounding of animals.
It is plain to see by your attempted deflection that you really do not mind wounding game animals as long as its done your way (with a gun).
Also the lack of knowledge regarding Boar hunting is plain to see by your admission, If you wanted a more 'humane' way to kill a boar why not do it from a high seat? less chance of injuring the poor animal that way.
I guess you would not have half the 'fun'.
This goes to show the real confusion about killing animals and the attempt to try and justify things with ethics, humane etc.

Kind of you to point out my confusion however I think my attitude is consistent. I am constantly questioning whether this is a sport that I should be involved in and I hate wounding things. I try not to kill for my ego.

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?15519-Are-we-hypocrites&highlight=hypocritical

To confirm your view though, yes I am not very well versed in boar hunting (having only been once) and therefore do indeed have a lack of knowledge. I am a member of this site to help build on my knowledeg and what i have learned is that we all learn from our experiences and those lessons can lead to having opposing views. I dont shove my opinion down people throats irrespective of how strongly I believe in them and I try not to react in a way which may put new entrants to the sport off. You seem to have reacted rather strongly to being asked a simple question. If I was to ask myself whether I believed that shooting boar (or anything) from a high seat was likely to lead to a more certain kill then I guess the answer would be yes. I would admit (lack of knowledge alert) that I dont know which would have the greatest likelyhood of being located a boar wounded on a driven day or one from a high seat. However I am not a high seat fan and would not choose this option for boar or deer here or abroad. I do want to hunt overseas and recognise that they may have different views and traditions to myself but would use the best equipment for the job. And I fully accept that there is hypocrasy in the sport and that I can be accused of it.

Last edited:
Kind of you to point out my confusion however I think my attitude is consistent. I am constantly questioning whether this is a sport that I should be involved in and I hate wounding things. I try not to kill for my ego.

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?15519-Are-we-hypocrites&highlight=hypocritical

To confirm your view though, yes I am not very well versed in boar hunting (having only been once) and therefore do indeed have a lack of knowledge. I am a member of this site to help build on my knowledeg and what i have learned is that we all learn from our experiences and those lessons can lead to having opposing views. I dont shove my opinion down people throats irrespective of how strongly I believe in them and I try not to react in a way which may put new entrants to the sport off. You seem to have reacted rather strongly to being asked a simple question. If I was to ask myself whether I believed that shooting boar (or anything) from a high seat was likely to lead to a more certain kill then I guess the answer would be yes. I would admit (lack of knowledge alert) that I dont know which would have the greatest likelyhood of being located a boar wounded on a driven day or one from a high seat. However I am not a high seat fan and would not choose this option for boar or deer here or abroad. I do want to hunt overseas and recognise that they may have different views and traditions to myself but would use the best equipment for the job. And I fully accept that there is hypocrasy in the sport and that I can be accused of it.

I reacted to your posting the BS report and your inability to go and read why it was shown to be BS.
Yes I may come over as a little terse but hey I am like that in real life, I make no apology. I wish to make a point and not hide it under waffle & prose.

I dont shove my opinion down people throats irrespective of how strongly I believe in them and I try not to react in a way which may put new entrants to the sport off.
Why did you repeat yourself without research then? Just some more spin?

I would admit (lack of knowledge alert) that I dont know which would have the greatest likelyhood of being located a boar wounded on a driven day or one from a high seat
just more spin here - We were talking of INJURIES not the location of injured animals.

Regardless, Boar on driven days will suffer many more times the injuries than shot from a seat, this is about wounding, not follow up, not locating.
From my experience of driven Boar days there were always a few which had been shot 'too far back' Just plain misplaced shots, so with your moral objection to INJURING animals I fail to see why you would personally choose this 'method'.

Again I ask you why do you cloud the killing of animals with 'ethics' and 'humane' ?

There is more than enough interference from the 'ethics police' already.

Well, will finish here as I guess I will have p155ed admin off again...

Happyhunt,

Please accept my apologies for hi jacking your thread.

I hope you have many more pleasant boar shooting days!

Wow - handbags at dawn it looks like!

Flash - I had a great time, thanks for organising. I'll get some pictures up shortly.

Hey Flash, with the sob story about having your rifle taken away by the Luton plod people will think you were not able to shoot and feel sorry for you.
All i can say is that all i heard for 3 days were double and triple tap shots from a borrowed 30.06 semi auto rifle !!
It was a great trip and we all enjoyed it, good company, good hunting and great weather is all you need :cool:

Ahhhhh just one small question:-

Don't you chaps carefully check your certificates for these things such as correct serial numbers?

I know the FLO does not seem to care about the errors their departments make. It has been a bone of contention for years just trying to get them to get the numbers correct. They seem to think it's OK to miss out Prefixes, suffixes hyphens etc yet customs don't see it the same way do they!

Glad you had a good time though but with a bit of checking it would have been better still.

BH I can't even get them to correct makers names that they have got wrong never mind the number. They insist on listing one of my guns as a Brno when in fact it is an Alfa-proj. I can't persaude them that Brno is in fact the place where it was made and not the makers name. It's a bit like insisting on calling a Parker Hale a Birmingham. It's a good job that I don't travel outside the U.K. with that firearm.

brithunter, I checked the serial number ok, but can't have read all the way to the end . it was the last digit that was wrong, lesson lerned.

Flash

Thanks again for organising a great trip and as you rightly pointed out, twas a cracking bunch of lads, and as for the hosts, Joao and Pedro, they could not have done more to make us feel more welcome. I'd love to post the videos of the baptisms, but I don't fancy getting a ban!

Look forward to seing you again soon , I hope and thanks for putting a decent edge on my knives!

Conor

Yep
a Proper bunch of chaps good fun and good hunting. guys from Portugal were spot on very exciting hunting when the boar burst from cover.
got to be fast or up a tree like monkey man woody.
top trip
NEXT !!!!!!!
FLASH HOPE YOUR NEW CASE IS OK PAL
BALLY

Back