More winter goats, some dogs and some deer

So after some goat control we had a change of property, to the other side of the valley and closer to the Wanganui River. Went out after a problem pig, with George, Uncle, Queen and Straps. The latter two drew the short straw and ended up in the trailer, which in these conditions is not a cool place to be. The pigs hide in the bush blocks adjacent to the pasture, and come out and root around at night. We didn’t get it unfortunately, it broke due to too much pressure when the third dog arrived, and ended up jumping into an impenetrable gorge.

hRjTyQ.jpg

ASQhm5.jpg

I think you’ll agree George (a bitch) is quite well camouflaged.

aG6Bx2.jpg

It’s mad country round here, so steep that as passenger I have to sit in the Yamaha holding the hand rail with my eyes closed. Can’t handle it. Something to do with my mate’s ability to drift the side-by-side around bends with one hand while lighting a fag, fiddling with his GPS dog tracker and looking for pigs. One false move and its 150m straight down. This is a flat bit.

QmhRQ1.jpg

We got onto the goats and nailed 29 with the Creedmoor, at the normal 250-600m kind of range. Important to select a goat, and not a sheep. Red arrow for goat.

0V6Gcw.jpg

XSCSbt.jpg

Later that morning it was time for a quick bush walk, all 13km of it. Took the .243 Win and got another half a dozen.

dRsMyT.jpg

RrIBJy.jpg

id1GFN.jpg

We were back into the home valley now and a quick slog up a spur gave a nice break in the weather to have a quick snack in advance of some hard yards looking for an ordinary stag I’d seen the day before.

b3eEN7.jpg

I climbed up high and with the north-westerly in my face, expecting to find the deer lying up on an easterly face. Watched a large mob of hinds with a couple of really decent stags, not really what I was after. Eventually, there they were, close to the very top and me getting a bit tired now after the 4am start on a failed pig hunt, 13km in the morning and now another 8km or so in the afternoon. Two red stags in the fern and scrub, steeply downhill at 218m with HCD applied. One was the distinctly lopsided 9 pointer I’d seen before, at least a year older than his mate who was just out of spiker stage. I selected the former, lying prone with the rifle pressing the bottom of the fence wire flat on the ground. A 100gr ProHunter into the base of the skull and he lay down conveniently right there.

The wind and my elevation caused the other stag to startle but not bolt, he was looking in 180° the wrong direction for the threat. The DPT suppressor had done its job, the wind would work in my favour as I moved in for recovery. I had a helluva slog down the ~45° muddy spur it being so wet, but as I approached I still hadn’t heard him bolt so got the phone out just in case. Quietly quietly softly softly, I was pretty shagged by the time I got in close, having to step all the way and not slide down the steepest bits on my arse.

https://youtu.be/68bwee3RLq4

Pretty stoked with that, a good up close and personal encounter.

The fenceline shooting position is visible in this photo, nice and high above the animal just as I like it.

5Ce1ee.jpg

q5zgBn.jpg

viDayJ.jpg

So a pretty productive trip, there is one more thing to write up (of a slightly different nature). Right now I need to spend several hours cleaning my gear. And me.

Last edited:

James0586

Good write up mate, I don’t fancy being a dog in the trailer though! Ha.

Lovely part art of the world it’s definitely on the bucket list!

trucraft

Not sure why you wouldn't modify that trailer slightly to give the dogs some protection.

Nice write up, great hunting.

reloader54

Another notable adventure, perfectly presented, thanks for posting, I have a few questions for you,,

1, Have you considered putting your hunting stories/adventures in a book?
2, if the answer to question #1 is no, then please consider it, I'm pretty sure it would be well read. [on here alone would present a fairly good order, I would imagine]
3, please put me down for a copy, and if you would be so kind as to sign it that would be much appreciated.:thumb:

Essexsussex

Another notable adventure, perfectly presented, thanks for posting, I have a few questions for you,,

1, Have you considered putting your hunting stories/adventures in a book?
2, if the answer to question #1 is no, then please consider it, I'm pretty sure it would be well read. [on here alone would present a fairly good order, I would imagine]
3, please put me down for a copy, and if you would be so kind as to sign it that would be much appreciated.:thumb:

+1!