Most obscure rifle in the arsenal?

PPU make new brass = or other cases can be easily converted
They also make a 139gr .308 bullet that matches the original factory loading

Not got one, but know of one available locally - though like a lot of politicians - it's not all there!!
The action, bolt & barrel are there, but a lot of fittings are missing, inc. sights, front woodwork, etc.
May pursue it, as the price is right & the missing parts should be easy to source
The PPU ammo was commonly available until the last great hording session began , but has since dried up around here . I do have enough brass for now . It boils down to me being lazy , I got used to buying cheap factory ammo . Time to break out the dies .
The MAS36 is one of those rifles that people love or hate . I think they're a great design , French , but a great design . I started shooting French battle rifles years ago because they were cheap , now I do it because I like them . If the rifle you're talking about is salvageable , it's definitely worth bringing back . They sell for about $1000 CDN in these parts if they're in decent shape .

AB

The PPU ammo was commonly available until the last great hording session began , but has since dried up around here . I do have enough brass for now . It boils down to me being lazy , I got used to buying cheap factory ammo . Time to break out the dies .
The MAS36 is one of those rifles that people love or hate . I think they're a great design , French , but a great design . I started shooting French battle rifles years ago because they were cheap , now I do it because I like them . If the rifle you're talking about is salvageable , it's definitely worth bringing back . They sell for about $1000 CDN in these parts if they're in decent shape .

AB
I sold a boat load of these in 80-82. They were like new. Raspy. Bad triggers. They shouldered like a cheap pair of shoes fits. That said, I admit to never having shot one.

I had one of the MAS .22 training rifles. Really wasn't that accurate.
Had a couple of Lebels I liked.... ~Muir

Those were very common in Ireland when we were only allowed 22 caliber rifles for deer stalking because of “The Troubles” as they’re referred to. A few, very few, shoot them still. But at €65 a box last I heard of them it’s very few.
Interesting post S98k! How did they perform on the notoriously tough Sika?
🦊🦊

🦊🦊
The 5,6x57 uses a 74(?) grain bullet. Which is I think a 228 in diameter. I think a lot of the reputation of Sika being notoriously tough is down to the fact that for a good number of years we were limited to 22 caliber rifles. Bullet manufacturing has, I’m sure, advanced since then.
However stalkers were possibly using bullets that didn't suit the purpose. Nowadays we can use any caliber up to .30 without restriction. Having said that my “working” rifle is a 22/250 and I have no hesitation using it on well presented deer.

25-45 sharps is my most obscure calibre, at a total guess I reckon there’s less than 20 in the country.

Also have a 7.5x55 K31 conditioned for deer in the cabinet.

The 5,6x57 uses a 74(?) grain bullet. Which is I think a 228 in diameter. I think a lot of the reputation of Sika being notoriously tough is down to the fact that for a good number of years we were limited to 22 caliber rifles. Bullet manufacturing has, I’m sure, advanced since then.
However stalkers were possibly using bullets that didn't suit the purpose. Nowadays we can use any caliber up to .30 without restriction. Having said that my “working” rifle is a 22/250 and I have no hesitation using it on well presented deer.
Wow 22-250 fast and furious! Still if .222 works in NZ……..
🦊🦊

I sold a boat load of these in 80-82. They were like new. Raspy. Bad triggers. They shouldered like a cheap pair of shoes fits. That said, I admit to never having shot one.

I had one of the MAS .22 training rifles. Really wasn't that accurate.
Had a couple of Lebels I liked.... ~Muir
Ah , you're familiar with them I see . In my defence , I also like bolt action shotguns .

AB

Ah , you're familiar with them I see . In my defence , I also like bolt action shotguns .

AB
I like bolt scatterguns too. Had a GECO 98 Mauser rework. I don't remember what happened to it but I remember enjoying it. My dad had a J.C.Higgins (Sears Roebuck) 12 ga he would win turkey shoots with. Tube feed. Awesome gun. ~Muir

(PS: Sorry I missed your call the other day. Affairs of State.)

Hi folks,

Not really obscure in terms of action but I have a variety of chamberings

Most used stalking rifle is probably my .257 Roberts which isn't that common.

Scrummy

🦊🦊
They worked pretty well with a neck shot, not so great with body placement, if you check out the numbers theres not much difference between 5.6x57 and a .243.
Ammo is and was a problem, not only is it expensive but some of it was overloaded and damaged rifles.
For the real aficionados of esoterica there was a 5.6 Vom Hoffe, an acquaintance had one, a Krico, he swore it killed like a lightening strike but ammo was about as common as gold nuggets and around the same price, so he rarely pulled the trigger at all and never practiced with it.
It was still virtually new when he sold it at a substantial loss after a few years.

Back when we were restricted to .22 rifles and often enough to a single rifle there were “ Shell shrinkers “ available.
They were a steel copy of whatever your rifle was chambered for which was itself chambered for a smaller cartridge. They were a popular addition to 5.6 and .22/250.
I had them in .22lr and .22mag. The .22lr was pretty useless, but the mag was capable of minute of fox out to 100yds or so. A lot of guys had them in .22 hornet too.
Theres a very old photo of me posed with a grey crow and a fox ( .22mag ) and a sika pricket .22/250.
All fired from the same rifle. Versatile or what?

I won’t mention run of the mill thing like 308 Norma Magnum etc

But my 1903 Mauser that was rechambered between the wars to 8x60 a kind man found me brass in Canada and the smaller 8mm bullets or ok to find from Europe. Load data is about.

It puts deer in the larder and the sights or still good with 200 grain bullets at middling loads/velocities.

Back