Motorcycles

opticron1

cool, I was referring more to much older stuff 1950,s I got a '53 a10 bobber , looking for a good home.
That takes me back to the late 70's...…. mate had a chopped A10 plunger with Sunbeam forks and horrendous paintjob, cool as a cool thing.... but horrid handling..... 6 inch over forks..... ah yes the 70's.... the time that taste forgot!:lol:

Finch

I'm pretty sure the KTM 1190s and 1290s are taller than the GSA, as long as you have the seat in the highest position. Leg room is the crucial factor for comfort. I'm 6' and on my 1190 I'm on my toes touching down. I've got the Powerparts comfort seat which adds about 10 mm of height.
I've ridden GSA's back to back with the 1190 a few times and while the BMW seat is plusher I definitely felt my feet were higher and my legs more bent and I was sitting more in the bike than on it, as with the KTM.
I did a 700 mile day on the 1190 back in June (Inverness to Dorset in one go) and it was fine. Slight arse-ache that was relieved with fuel stops but no leg cramps.

The KTM R's are taller still and you can wind the suspension up manually.

ChesterP

GSA seat height is 35 inches in the LOW position and just under 36 inches in the high position. Step length (a measure of the length needed from foot up over seat and back down to ground on the far side) is 76 inches. I'd be very surprised if the KTM was taller, especially as it seems to have a narrower seat. The 1290 SA seat height is a good inch lower at 875mm (34.4 inches) in fact but unsure what the step height is. Seat to peg heights may well be quite a different matter. One of the things I like about the GSA is that the seated position allows plenty of legroom which is important even for my 5'8" frame! I guess a lot depends on suspension settings and the amount of sag. The KTM's more sporty design might indicate more preload and less sag?

The Singing Stalker

Saw this the other day and just had to add it to the stable.
10 years old and only done 11k. Obviously been looked after.
Looks nice. My missus has finally decided she won't be able to ride again so will be selling her dragster next year. I prefer being able to go around corners and it is too short in the leg for me.

J&S

My pride and joy until it got hit head on by three cars leaving me in hospital for months.
Still yearn to get another one, but sense gets in the way!_IV_3166.jpg

Finch

Saw this the other day and just had to add it to the stable.
10 years old and only done 11k. Obviously been looked after.
For a while now I've had a hankering for a custom cruiser. In addition to my other bikes, not as a replacement for any of them. A sunny day toy. It started when I rode the Triumph Bobber a couple of years ago at the annual 3X open day. Rode it for a laugh out of curiosity with no no conceivable expectation that it might actually be any good. In fact it blew me away. it was such a laugh, waay faster than I thought it would be and remarkably good handling. You could actually hustle it. Wildly impractical though. Nowhere for any decent luggage and a tiny 80 mile fuel range.

Didn't like the Speedmaster so much. Felt heavier, wasn't as comfortable and it was far too easy to deck the pegs. Tried a couple of Harleys and was deeply disappointed. Then had a go on the Triumph Thunderbird Storm. More gutsy and more comfortable than the Bobber and more practical and just as much fun if a little less pleasingly daft. And in every performance and handling parameter it trounces any Harley.

A nice black Night Storm should do it:
1542913953590.png

kenbro

For a while now I've had a hankering for a custom cruiser. In addition to my other bikes, not as a replacement for any of them. A sunny day toy. It started when I rode the Triumph Bobber a couple of years ago at the annual 3X open day. Rode it for a laugh out of curiosity with no no conceivable expectation that it might actually be any good. In fact it blew me away. it was such a laugh, waay faster than I thought it would be and remarkably good handling. You could actually hustle it. Wildly impractical though. Nowhere for any decent luggage and a tiny 80 mile fuel range.

Didn't like the Speedmaster so much. Felt heavier, wasn't as comfortable and it was far too easy to deck the pegs. Tried a couple of Harleys and was deeply disappointed. Then had a go on the Triumph Thunderbird Storm. More gutsy and more comfortable than the Bobber and more practical and just as much fun if a little less pleasingly daft. And in every performance and handling parameter it trounces any Harley.

A nice black Night Storm should do it:
View attachment 116783
As a near 76 year old short ass I would find the Triumphs a bit heavy in town traffic with the seat height they have.
My 1300 VTX is nice on the move, but, i’m very wary stopping and starting in traffic. If it lost interest in being upright there wouldn’t be anything I could do to change its mind.
The 750 Shadow lacks the grunt but with very low seat, narrow tank and engine, coupled with light weight it’s great around town but a bit underpowered on M ways. The pegs do hinge up when needed to accidently.
Ken.