Mouse double trapped

Tom270

Having noticed some mouse activity around the shed door I set a couple of new traps at each side of the shed door baited with stuff that came with them that smells like chocolate and covered over with a bit of tile.
This morning I find a mouse, one mouse caught in both traps. I can see what must have happened but never seen this before.mouse trapped.jpg

VSS

I wonder which end got caught first?
Did the snapping of the head end flick its backend onto the second trap, or did it get caught by the backend first, and then blunder into the second trap as it attempted to escape the first?
(Or perhaps, trapped by the bum, he realised that his days were numbered and decided to make a quick end to it).

potshotpat

I wonder which end got caught first?
Did the snapping of the head end flick its backend onto the second trap, or did it get caught by the backend first, and then blunder into the second trap as it attempted to escape the first?
(Or perhaps, trapped by the bum, he realised that his days were numbered and decided to make a quick end to it).
It got so fed up with Brexit it threw itself on the traps, if you look close you will see it's 48% on one trap and 52% on the other. :thumb:

Freeforester

I don't think it understood what it was trying to eat, it should have been better explained for it beforehand, so it could've made an informed choice as to which trap to choose...

Cottis

I live in an ancient house (300+yrs old) which is full of holes and nooks and crannies and you just cannot keep mice away in the cold months, so I have an ongoing war with them.

I used to use snap traps for years like yours and they are ok for cheap and easy but they do not have a 100% success rate. I would frequently see a variety of results in the morning including but not limited to the desired quick kill across the neck, double trapped mice like yours and single trapped across either front or back legs which then results in them noisily dragging the bloody traps around the skirting boards all night, which means having to get up and smack them with a 9 iron when they inevitably find a narrow void somewhere to hide from my tired ramblings in the middle of the night.

If they were three feet apart I bet he has got caught on his arse first whilst wandering about over all the traps. They investigate everything first and quite often run over the traps, look at baits, move to the next one before going back and on and on and ariston. This gets them caught up sometimes without actually trying to eat anything. I reckon this has happened to him and then whilst dragging the first trap around, he has thought he might as well feed on another trap which then looks to have put him out his misery.

I no longer use these traps on their own and use them alongside my homemade trap that appears in the 1590 book by Leonard Mascall. It has been in use for two years now and the only failure I have had (it has caught well over 50 mice now) is when the twine holding the noose down has actually broken through my terrible drill holes in the underside of the wood. If a mouse sticks its head in that hole and tries to bite through the twine in order to get to the bait at the back, it WILL die. It is quite powerful, I have had a few full decapitations and many partial. You can also trap 4 in one sitting (my record is annoyingly only 3 but I am working on putting that right) I started taking it way too seriously but I hate the damned things crapping around my gun cabinet

Uncle f

I live in an ancient house (300+yrs old) which is full of holes and nooks and crannies and you just cannot keep mice away in the cold months, so I have an ongoing war with them.

I used to use snap traps for years like yours and they are ok for cheap and easy but they do not have a 100% success rate. I would frequently see a variety of results in the morning including but not limited to the desired quick kill across the neck, double trapped mice like yours and single trapped across either front or back legs which then results in them noisily dragging the bloody traps around the skirting boards all night, which means having to get up and smack them with a 9 iron when they inevitably find a narrow void somewhere to hide from my tired ramblings in the middle of the night.

If they were three feet apart I bet he has got caught on his arse first whilst wandering about over all the traps. They investigate everything first and quite often run over the traps, look at baits, move to the next one before going back and on and on and ariston. This gets them caught up sometimes without actually trying to eat anything. I reckon this has happened to him and then whilst dragging the first trap around, he has thought he might as well feed on another trap which then looks to have put him out his misery.

I no longer use these traps on their own and use them alongside my homemade trap that appears in the 1590 book by Leonard Mascall. It has been in use for two years now and the only failure I have had (it has caught well over 50 mice now) is when the twine holding the noose down has actually broken through my terrible drill holes in the underside of the wood. If a mouse sticks its head in that hole and tries to bite through the twine in order to get to the bait at the back, it WILL die. It is quite powerful, I have had a few full decapitations and many partial. You can also trap 4 in one sitting (my record is annoyingly only 3 but I am working on putting that right) I started taking it way too seriously but I hate the damned things crapping around my gun cabinet

Just a word to the wise mate and not a dig but if that trap work on asphyxiation it’s illegal in the Uk. Even pest species can’t be killed this way in a trap. I don’t care mate, but you never know who’s looking at this forum.
Regards Steve

Cottis

Just a word to the wise mate and not a dig but if that trap work on asphyxiation it’s illegal in the Uk. Even pest species can’t be killed this way in a trap. I don’t care mate, but you never know who’s looking at this forum.
Regards Steve
Thanks for that, I didn't know that but I kinda assumed it worked on the same principle as a normal snap trap. It is a noose but the metal spring is so powerful that it cracks and snaps the neck. It is certainly more effective and instant (as my finger can attest to) than snap traps and does not hold them while they run out of air. It breaks their neck, often severing the head.

Can that be outlawed if a normal snap trap is ok? I don't want to operate outside of any law but this is way more effective and humane than any other mouse trap I have seen in operation. Broken neck or severed head is pretty instant.

Uncle f

In that case then as it works by breaking the neck it is legal imo. Again mate absolutely not having a dig. I do this for a living and a few years back one of my suppliers bought out a trap that works on an elastic band type affair that when triggered the band closes round the neck and strangled said mouse/rat. When they looked for approval it was rejected on the premise of it being a self locking snare so therefore illegal.
So that was that. Looks a good trap though mate

Cottis

In that case then as it works by breaking the neck it is legal imo. Again mate absolutely not having a dig. I do this for a living and a few years back one of my suppliers bought out a trap that works on an elastic band type affair that when triggered the band closes round the neck and strangled said mouse/rat. When they looked for approval it was rejected on the premise of it being a self locking snare so therefore illegal.
So that was that. Looks a good trap though mate
No worries, I didn't take it as a dig. I do not do this for a living and you know way more than me, so it is good to learn. I had not even thought about it other than wanting to make the most efficient, fail safe and humane trap I could. It is certainly that and now you have explained what is right and wrong, I am happy it is ok.

Thanks for letting me know. I wouldn't make a trap that was not instant death but it's good to know what the law is. All good to know.