Moving from Dorset to Durham

User00035

I'm set to move next month from Dorset to the Durham/Northumberland border near Derwent reservoir. Anyone here from that part of the world/ Just wondered what I can expect in terms of deer species, stalking and shooting in general.
I think I'm technically Northumberland as far as licencing dept goes?

Greatly looking forward to it.

Hi and a pre move welcome to County Durham from myself

I live in bishop Auckland and on the whole the county has some beautiful land and shooting opportunities for permission are plentiful and definitely worth the effort in finding if they're not already shot.

I dont have any knowledge on the deer side of things but I suspect Northumberland and the Scottish borders are going to be the best starting point

Regards Gareth

I'm set to move next month from Dorset to the Durham/Northumberland border near Derwent reservoir. Anyone here from that part of the world/ Just wondered what I can expect in terms of deer species, stalking and shooting in general.

Loads and loads of shooting, you just have to find it.

Biggest issue with Northumberland for deer stalking is that a lot of it is laready syndicated or "taken"

If you are moving out closer to Kielder you may have more luck finding some permissions over that way.

Give me a shout when you move up and i will see if i can get you out with me.

Loads and loads of shooting, you just have to find it.

Biggest issue with Northumberland for deer stalking is that a lot of it is laready syndicated or "taken"

If you are moving out closer to Kielder you may have more luck finding some permissions over that way.

Give me a shout when you move up and i will see if i can get you out with me.
Cheers Dcd. Much appreciated. Was planning to move to more the Kielder/Borders area. But I'm renting initially until the market settles down. It's been in such a state of upheaval it's been incredibly difficult to find anything.

I am only about 10 miles from Derwent Reservoir, only roe around here and pretty much all taken up. Give me a shout when you move. Scottish Borders is beautiful but again most stalking taken but more opportunity for syndicates.

Try contacting farm supply businesses, and those selling gamekeeping equipment and game farmers - they might bring you some leads. Try around the Rothbury area, when I was stalking I had several resonably priced productive outings. Have a chat with the regional BDS and BASC personell. Good luck.

All the best with the move, Finch.

(Will you have to learn a new hedge-laying style?)

There's definitely more stalking available in the Scottish Borders than Northumberland. As for species it's mainly roe but there are also sika in the borders and fallow in Northumberland, there are also rumours of muntjac. There's also loads of game shoots throughout the area and if you can find it rabbit/pigeon shooting.

One up one down…… I’m just about to move back to Durham from the West Coast of Scotland….. splitting up with the wife after 10 years…… I shall be rather gutted to see the last of our 63 acres….. not sure I can zero the .308 in the new back garden…..

But equally have been asking the same questions as you! I’m a NE lad originally so know plenty folks around and have a few ears to the ground - I shall keep you informed if I come across any syndicates etc. Good luck with your move!

You may have to learn to make your own Pasties too.
Lovely place though is "up North"
Best of luck with the move, and I hope the "Angel of the North" looks after you and your Family.

I am only about 10 miles from Derwent Reservoir, only roe around here and pretty much all taken up. Give me a shout when you move. Scottish Borders is beautiful but again most stalking taken but more opportunity for syndicates.
moved to the borders just outside kelso over 3yrs ago, there is a lot of shooting to be had if you want

BPW_8822.JPG
BPW_0195_JPG_bca170abb0a3326db1d26934bf9e5900.jpg

Back