Moving to Australia

DavidO_84

I’m looking for some advice/information from anyone who has made the move or considering it or even better from some of our Aussie forum members.

I work in engineering and have had a couple of offers to move down under (Sydney or Melbourne) and we’re seriously considering it as it’s something my wife would like to do and it is appealing to me as well.

Can I take my rifles and shotguns with me or is it a case of selling up here and starting again, I have no clue about Australian gun laws or how you guys hunt over there. Is it like the uk with all land owned privately and you need permission or is it more like the states.

Any advice on anything related would be welcome as this is obviously a massive decision to make

Cheers

Dave

Samhuntvic

There is plenty of hunting in NSW and Victoria. HOWEVER... NSW and Vic state gun laws differ a little with Victoria being a little more liberal considering waiting time for a permit to purchase a firearm and other some small things.
Vic ahead already. Then there is the hunting. Sambar deer all over the place but in Victoria it's free to hunt on crown land and in some National Parks (meaning you don't have to book or pay a fee for each hunt) you only need a firearms licence available after doing a short course and a game licence endorsed for deer or if you hunt ducks you do the short wildfowl identification course and then get your game licence endorsed for ducks as well. The deer species commonly hunted in Victoria are Sambar, Fallow, Red and Hog deer. You can hunt on private land only with the written permission of the owner or landholder.
Regarding bringing firearms, there are certainly hoops to jump through but it's possible. Personally I'd sell up and buy new stuff once you are here. I don't know for sure but I would think that if you brought firearms they would not be available to you until you had the proper licencing anyway. From what I read on SD, storage rules here are very similar. No pump action shotguns here. Further, with a Cat A and B Firearms licence (the standard licence) you can get yourself shotguns, bolt action or pump action rifles, lever rifles but not self loaders without a special licence. For each purchase you have to apply for a Permit to Purchase. The gunshop can do that for you while you wait. My last purchase took 2 hours for the permit to come back from the Licencing Branch. In other States some of the waiting time stories are horrendous. No suppressors for us general public, only possibly available to a pest controller or the like.
If you want any specific question answered PM me and I'll get the answer from the horse's mouth.
Grant.

DavidO_84

Thanks SHV, that’s exactly what I was looking for. Ideally I’d like to bring my own rifles as I’m guessing they can be expensive to buy over there, plus some of my shotguns have a lot of sentimental value I wouldn’t be keen on selling those but I could put them in storage here until I sort something out.

So much to think about and they are way down the list of priorities, so unlike here you don’t need written permission to shoot on land as your good reason to want a rifle? You can complete the hunters course and apply for it? Also no self loading shotguns?

paul o'

Well done mty if it were me i'd sell up then buy new used over there .Its just one less problem to overcome I wish you all my very best bud ,I wish we stayed in the USA as the UK has gone tits we are sheep and fed crumbs of chaff .
:tiphat::tiphat::tiphat:

DavidO_84

Cheers Paul, not a done deal yet but we’re seriously looking at our options, main consideration being we want a better life for our boys.

This country is going down the pan with knife crime and gang culture, that girl who got murdered in the park in Romford for no reason lived down the road from our old place.

dartmoordog

Good luck with it Dave.

We have been to Australia four times for good long trips, and both my wife and I wish we were starting out again because we would be out there in the blink of an eye mate.

My favourite parts of Australia would be south of Perth in WA, Margaret River area, or Norther Victoria in the high country. Just awesome country, so much visual and bio diversity, but the main thing for us............SPACE!

paul o'

Your of an age and so are the Kids go for it feller :tiphat:

Cheers Paul, not a done deal yet but we’re seriously looking at our options, main consideration being we want a better life for our boys.

This country is going down the pan with knife crime and gang culture, that girl who got murdered in the park in Romford for no reason lived down the road from our old place.

JockStalk

My wife and I moved to Aus. Spent 4 years there, in WA and at the end of it returned to Scotland.

Grab the opportunity with both hands. Great country, brilliant people. It suits some and not others, but you'll never know which one you are unless you give it a fair go.

And the only things in life we regret are the chances we didn't take?

BryanDC

My wife and I moved to Aus. Spent 4 years there, in WA and at the end of it returned to Scotland.

Grab the opportunity with both hands. Great country, brilliant people. It suits some and not others, but you'll never know which one you are unless you give it a fair go.

And the only things in life we regret are the chances we didn't take?
My parents did exactly the same. Moved to Perth in 65 and went back to Scotland four years later.

ileso

I’m looking for some advice/information from anyone who has made the move or considering it or even better from some of our Aussie forum members.

I work in engineering and have had a couple of offers to move down under (Sydney or Melbourne) and we’re seriously considering it as it’s something my wife would like to do and it is appealing to me as well.

Can I take my rifles and shotguns with me or is it a case of selling up here and starting again, I have no clue about Australian gun laws or how you guys hunt over there. Is it like the uk with all land owned privately and you need permission or is it more like the states.

Any advice on anything related would be welcome as this is obviously a massive decision to make

Cheers

Dave
move to melboune , sydney is full of ****s. Trust me, Its beautiful but its full of dick heads who all froth and no beer

yes you can take your firearms with you so long as the ones you take comply with australian law.

cheers, you'll love it.

johngryphon

My favourite parts of Australia would be south of Perth in WA,
If you want to hunt deer freely with just about nil restrictions go for Vic. as WA is a real police state when it comes to firearm ownership,access and lack of deer.
I have lived in WA prev for a lot of years both down south and up north,it indeed is a beautiful place but not for the bloke that wants to hunt daily/weekly/monthly for deer of which there are very few in a million square mile stat.

A mate works on the Timor gas shelf as a FIFO,he is based in Perth but bought a house in NE Vic to use as a hunting from home base in the mountains. He travels 3500 kilometers so as to hunt deer.