Must have lost my marbles

bogtrotter

Firearm certificate renewal time again at age 71 this may well be my last one,there again I said that at last renewal.
Now not only a renewal but I have also applied for a .270 why because I really dislike .270?

Well as I already said this may be my last certificate so don't see a lot of point in spending a lot of money but why anothor rifle at my
time of life?
Well I am a great fan of the .243 it has served me well for nigh on forty years and I really thought it would see me out and may well
still do so,but with the upcoming lead ban 2025 I think but many forestry companies are already requiring.it and as of next year the
Federation of Gamedealers have declared they will no longer buy venison that has been shot with lead tis is important to me as
venison sales form.part of my income.

There may be a change in Scottish law to allow 80 gr copper bullets for Red deer but it's still not certain ,I.am also hearing
interesting things about a 100 gr bullet that will stabilise in a 1 in10 .243 barrel.

So why do I dislike .270 well I used one quite a lot and it was a beast kicked like a mule had a permanent bruised cheek with it ,
shot a few others that I didn't like much better, of course the recoil thing can be fixed these days with a moderartor an option that
was not available when I was using one.
.A BSA or Parker Hale in .270 can be picked up really cheap and if the law changes or I find a copoer bullet that will stabilise in.old
faithful then I won't have spent a lot if cash on something I won't use and if in the near future I have to abandkn the .243 for Red
Deer then I will be prepared.

AGR

Firearm certificate renewal time again at age 71 this may well be my last one,there again I said that at last renewal.
Now not only a renewal but I have also applied for a .270 why because I really dislike .270?

Well as I already said this may be my last certificate so don't see a lot of point in spending a lot of money but why anothor rifle at my
time of life?
Well I am a great fan of the .243 it has served me well for nigh on forty years and I really thought it would see me out and may well
still do so,but with the upcoming lead ban 2025 I think but many forestry companies are already requiring.it and as of next year the
Federation of Gamedealers have declared they will no longer buy venison that has been shot with lead tis is important to me as
venison sales form.part of my income.

There may be a change in Scottish law to allow 80 gr copper bullets for Red deer but it's still not certain ,I.am also hearing
interesting things about a 100 gr bullet that will stabilise in a 1 in10 .243 barrel.

So why do I dislike .270 well I used one quite a lot and it was a beast kicked like a mule had a permanent bruised cheek with it ,
shot a few others that I didn't like much better, of course the recoil thing can be fixed these days with a moderartor an option that
was not available when I was using one.
.A BSA or Parker Hale in .270 can be picked up really cheap and if the law changes or I find a copoer bullet that will stabilise in.old
faithful then I won't have spent a lot if cash on something I won't use and if in the near future I have to abandkn the .243 for Red
Deer then I will be prepared.
You only need a .270!

HandB

Another vote for 7x57. I have a BSA Hunter that shoots beautifully. Cost me just under £300 from a Holts auction.

Malxwal

I was chatting with a lad in charge of deer on a well known large estate, been a 243 man all his days. Says he's too old to change now, and has just had his old faithfull rebarreled with another faster twist 26" Krieger to ensure he can run copper. His estate have been running Sako factory lead free (110TTSX) through specially ordered 24" T3s for years now, with good results.

bogtrotter

I was chatting with a lad in charge of deer on a well known large estate, been a 243 man all his days. Says he's too old to change now, and has just had his old faithfull rebarreled with another faster twist 26" Krieger to ensure he can run copper. His estate have been running Sako factory lead free (110TTSX) through specially ordered 24" T3s for years now, with good results.
Yes sounds a bit like me stuck in our ways.

Fosbery Holster

For a Scotsman in the prime of his life at firearm renewal time…….well that’s forward thinking a .270……particularly as a variation at renewal time is free……well it is south of the border…..then have in mind a BSA or Parker Hale for little or no money……you have just reminded me that a Scotsman is league’s ahead of a Yorkshireman in the leaderboard of tightness.
Well done you, enjoy the future .270.

bogtrotter

That'll explain the bruised cheek, I bet. If you have any plans to be around the Forfar area any time soon I'd be pleased to let you try mine out to see how you get on? It's a 90's Abolt Hunter that cost less than £400 a few years ago

I will be fine I'm no wimp while I'm not tall my normal weight is around 15 stone I have shot bigger than .270 but must admit to particular dislike of .270 I will just need to get used to it lol.

Last edited:

bogtrotter

For a Scotsman in the prime of his life at firearm renewal time…….well that’s forward thinking a .270……particularly as a variation at renewal time is free……well it is south of the border…..then have in mind a BSA or Parker Hale for little or no money……you have just reminded me that a Scotsman is league’s ahead of a Yorkshireman in the leaderboard of tightness.
Well done you, enjoy the future .270.

Oh aye I have a degree in tightness.