My ever first stalk....not as expected.

Had my first stalk about a week ago or so through the SD.....didnt go as expected.

I was pretty keen and excited to go on my first stalk (as you'd expect) in the weeks leading up wondering what it'll be like, getting plenty of practice in etc, even counted my chickens a bit and got some stuff to make it into sausages if successful......

After about 90mins travel, I meet the chap, very welcoming....no problem......the place we were originally meant to be going to wasnt an option so we went to a different location....

It ended up being a hide shoot and not the stalk I expected, anyway, I'm there now make the most it.

Sit in the hide for a fair few hours, in that time the guides phone went off, ringtone blaring.....I tried to give him a bit of a look without speaking to knock it off....it rang out until they stopped called. Annoying.

They also smoked during the wait in the hide, smoking doesnt bother me in gereral but it did on the stalk. Im sure thats not going to improve any chances.

The guy was friendly and polite but I felt a little let down with my first experience of trying for deer. I know seeing or getting a deer is not a guarantee.

Money reluctantly changed hands and I drove home somewhat deflated......better luck next time, eh? I dont think Ill be using that member again.

Last edited:

sharkbait

The trouble with some guides is they think it's all about them! rather than the paying customer, they do that same scenario all the time and it gets boring for them, trouble is they forget its about the paying customers first exciting time!

jmb

I went stalking in Tain last week for sika with my son who had never shot a deer. We each had a separate stalker and headed off to different parts of the woodland blocks.

ten minutes in I heard a shot, looked at my stalker who said that will be his first.
he was correct. Over two days the boy shot three sika and a fox.
All good shots and clean kills, he had a great time.

over two days I had a good few walks, some good stalking, saw deer but for various reasons not shoot able and took a Roe.

I also fell in bog, froze in a high seat and learned a lot from a knowledgeable stalker who was great company.

we will be going again.

there are good, okay and sadly not very good stalkers out there. If you can go on recommendation I would do so. You are never guaranteed a deer but you can at least enjoy yourself, learn something new and not feel shortchanged by the experience.

I’ve still not shot a Sika

glasshalffull

Not having your phone on silent whilst stalking or sitting in a highseat whether guide or client is frankly amateurish behaviour. Did it once with John Fenton in Wicklow 13yrs ago and never have since 😯

Morkai

You are welcome to a free stalk here mate .Don’t charge anything but expect many return invites so get networking bud .
Thank you, not sure I could offer any shooting in return at the mo except for some small bag pigeon shooting.

Rusty Gate

Had my first stalk about a week ago or so through the SD.....didnt go as expected.

I was pretty keen and excited to go on my first stalk (as you'd expect) in the weeks leading up wondering what it'll be like, getting plenty of practice in etc, even counted my chickens a bit and got some stuff to make it into sausages if successful......

After about 90mins travel, I meet the chap, very welcoming....no problem......the place we were originally meant to be going to wasnt an option so we went to a different location....

It ended up being a hide shoot and not the stalk I expected, anyway, I'm there now make the most it.

Sit in the hide for a fair few hours, in that time the guides phone went off, ringtone blaring.....I tried to give him a bit of a look without speaking to knock it off....it rang out until they stopped called. Annoying.

They also smoked during the wait in the hide, smoking doesnt bother me in gereral but it did on the stalk. Im sure thats not going to improve any chances.

The guy was friendly and polite but I felt a little let down with my first experience of trying for deer. I know seeing or getting a deer is not a guarantee.

Money reluctantly changed hands and I drove home somewhat deflated......better luck next time, eh? I dont think Ill be using that member again.
No money would of changed hands here!

I had one tall guy dressed accordingly as was I. He spotted a deer said follow me then whipped of his wooly hat & darted bobing along so I just walked behind & never went back. You could'nt make it up!

Cootmeurer

Sorry to hear about your bad start, but don’t fear. If your next stalk is with Malcolm you will be in Good hands. Without chatting excessively while actively stalking definitely take the time to pick his brain about all things stalking

uptonogood

You’d be welcome anyway mate .I’ve found by playing the long waiting game it’s lead to opportunities down the years .
If your keen you won’t be without your own stalking for long as despite the doom mongers on here farmers need enthusiastic deer managers .Pm me mate 👍🏻

25 Sharps

I take people out, and I smoke, a lot, I shoot plenty of deer and am yet to take someone out and blank, my conclusion is smoking makes not a jot of difference.

A few times I’ve forgot to put my phone on silent, or I’ve remembered whilst stalking and then done it, it happens, but then I don’t charge to take my mates out and if I **** up they will rib me and that’s it.
ive also had people turn up who seem to think it’s a 60’s reunion, bright clothing or loads of skin on show, phone in hand every two seconds checking FB, and even making phone calls during the stalk.
for a paid guide to be like that (here’s assuming your experience was not a one off) I would be reluctant to hand over money as it would appear not to be trying for the client.
I have been on the other side, had guides go out thier way for me, had guides tripping over thier own feet and banging into everything in sight. It’s not about the result for me, it’s about how I feel they made an effort.
out of interest, what ammo you intending on the CWD, I found the 6.5cm just makes too much mess usually unless head or necked.
Change bullet!

Morkai

You’d be welcome anyway mate .I’ve found by playing the long waiting game it’s lead to opportunities down the years .
If your keen you won’t be without your own stalking for long as despite the doom mongers on here farmers need enthusiastic deer managers .Pm me mate 👍🏻
Thanks very much, very kind offer.
I've never been to Somerset.

paul o'

Went with a guy in Dorset we walked for hrs on the Roe part of this nice AM walk was a large bloody large wood , when we got to the other side ! My pal said Trevor there was not even a hoof mark on any of the mud trails ?? He spun around still in Elmar fudd mode and said in a hush voice "there's no deer in this wood" :doh: So your not the only one to pay for walk in the woods when you first start out .
As it turned out we were pushing his birds as he had a game shoot the next day ish ???? to top this I later found out most of the land we walked he never had the rights on it in any place :eek: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :tiphat:

Morkai

Went with a guy in Dorset we walked for hrs on the Roe part of this nice AM walk was a large bloody large wood , when we got to the other side ! My pal said Trevor there was not even a hoof mark on any of the mud trails ?? He spun around still in Elmar fudd mode and said in a hush voice "there's no deer in this wood" :doh: So your not the only one to pay for walk in the woods when you first start out .
As it turned out we were pushing his birds as he had a game shoot the next day ish ???? to top this I later found out most of the land we walked he never had the rights on it in any place :eek: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :tiphat:
Now that does sound very cowboy.

gixer1

Once travelled to a place called Seguin with another SD member and met a “pro guide” for turkey shooting….the guy had his phone ring, fell asleep for a considerable length of time (we videotaped him snoring while laughing our arse’s off at him)….and I’m sure he had issues with his car afterwards….

He was a clown, but as we had an adventure and a good laugh otherwise we didn’t let it spoil the fun..,just put it down to a bad experience and don’t go back!

Regards,
Gixer

Kentish

I shot my first deer (a CWD) this time last year exactly with Malc. I was out with there again on Saturday, got a CWD doe in the morning stalking on foot, and this little muntjac buck in the afternoon from a high seat just as the light was going. We saw about 18 CWD in the morning, even in spite of Storm Arwen. Sure you'll have a great chance of going home happy.

IMG_20211127_161150.jpg

Morkai

Once travelled to a place called Seguin with another SD member and met a “pro guide” for turkey shooting….the guy had his phone ring, fell asleep for a considerable length of time (we videotaped him snoring while laughing our arse’s off at him)….and I’m sure he had issues with his car afterwards….

He was a clown, but as we had an adventure and a good laugh otherwise we didn’t let it spoil the fun..,just put it down to a bad experience and don’t go back!

Regards,
Gixer
Yeah, bad experience, plenty more opportunities to go at.

Driven game today, better than work on a Tuesday.

Morkai

I shot my first deer (a CWD) this time last year exactly with Malc. I was out with there again on Saturday, got a CWD doe in the morning stalking on foot, and this little muntjac buck in the afternoon from a high seat just as the light was going. We saw about 18 CWD in the morning, even in spite of Storm Arwen. Sure you'll have a great chance of going home happy.

View attachment 232357
Tidy, just what I'm after.