My first Centerfire, any used 243 recommendations?

hutt

Hello All,

I'm purchasing my first centerfire and looking for recommendations for which to search the 2nd hand market with. My budget is small, under £500, for the rifle, mod and scope. Advice on things to look out for positive and negative on models also appreciated. I'm in Bristol for anything local.

Your thoughts are kindly appreciated!

Last edited:
can o' worms feller but i would save and get a t3 or you may find a combo deal off the boys on the site bobjs had got one for sale don't can't remember the deal have alook or pm him for 500 you are gonner be pushed but you never know.

update its is a tikka 590 .243

Last edited:
Any hunting rifle that you can get a consistent half decent group out of (sub 2 or even 3 inch). More important to top it with decent optics 6x42 or 8x42 of any good make. Old swasrovski novas and S+Bs go on here for £250 if you are quick.

If you have a look on guntrader you can sort the results according to price I think to get an idea of the what is available under £500. Most of these will be dealer prices though.
I bought a Sako A2 for less than that, which is a gun made before the accountants started to design the rifles.

I've no idea about .243s, apart from them being a .243 bullet in a .308 case. Would you be more likely to get a low-price SH .308 that wasn't worn out than a low-price SH .243?

I have two parker hale 1200's one .243 and one 30.06 cost less than £250 each one has meopta 6x42 scope other has Edgar brothers 8x56 less than £150 each s/h i use a s/h wildcat predator mod and swap to which rifle im using. Both rifles shoot sub moa.

+1 on forgetting the can. Get one later if you really wanted one. Shouldn't be a problem with the empty slot on your certificate.

Thanks chaps, food for thought, especially dropping the can. I'll have an explore of the models you recommend.

I'm fairly sure I gave the Sako Brian has linked to above a quick once over in Greenfields last week. If it's the same rifle it is in good condition albeit missing some of the blueing.

CZ 601, 6x42 Swarovski , forget the can:D

I agree with this. There are other options as regards rifle and scope but go for quality and this suggestion certainly is that. Forget the mod. That is something you can get later. Many don't use a mod. I don't.

Every CZ I came across shot well, or at least could shoot well once bedded etc. Can't say that for older Sako's. Older Sako actions might be the finest hunting actions around and also have fabulous triggers, however I wouldn't give anything on the barrels. Sako with a custom barrel is of course a great combination.
I would rather buy a cheaper rifle and a cheaper scope than sacrifice the mod. Mod first...then the rest. Just talk to old school shooters, most of them deaf as... why would one risk being deaf?

edi

I think this is always difficult. If you are looking to spend 500 and no more for the foreseeable future then I would go for a cheaper, more basic rifle and a quality 6x42 or 8x56 scope. On the other hand if you have 500 to get you going but can then add other bits here and there I personally would go for a better quality rifle (I saw the Heym too) and pick up a cheaper scope to tide you over. The mod could be easily sourced secondhand as could a decent scope. I have run a quite cheap Tasco World class plus scope on almost all my rifles at some stage over the last 15 years ( most calibres between 22rf to 308 and 7mm RM) and it hasn't missed a beat. Granted I zero and then leave it alone but it has never let me down. Some of the scopes imported by fox firearms are cheap but have a decent reputation. I am certain that something like a Simmons Whitetail could be sourced at reasonable cost

Tikas and Sakos have a bit of a cult following on here and this is reflected in the second hand price.

I would look at some of the other makes, Krico etc.

As for scopes, people always go for top spec and forget that some of the cheaper stuff will do the job as well 98% of the time.

Simmons WTC (older philippines made version). There is also a Burris for sale on here for about £100. That would suit you perfectly well.

Oh, and if you don't fit a moderator wear ear defenders.

Last edited:
Back