My first stag shot, caught on film

Nice video, shame you're scopecam didn't capture you're actual shot so we could have seen backdrop, shot placement and effectiveness.

Great vid. Sums up a day on the hill well. Showing tradition and respect for the job at hand has to be the way forward in our sport and you've captured that well imho.

I don't have a scopecam, I simply put camera on cheekrest when needed. In this film, it was all sfx.

You see where the deer is lying, same spot as he was shot, instant collapse, didn't even raise a hoof. I am finding the 6 XC (basically a 243 engineered to shoot the heaviest 6mm bullets) to be just as effective as my 6.5mm.

Allthough visible sign on impact is less, they walk no further. Yesterdays reds fell maybe 5-10 meters from where they were shot. I am really starting to see why 243 is well regarded here, at home it is legal for roe only.

Great vid. Sums up a day on the hill well. Showing tradition and respect for the job at hand has to be the way forward in our sport and you've captured that well imho.

Thanks for noticing, that is what I am trying to do.
I believe in developing skills and proficiency and the risk awareness/ safety margin that brings to stalking.

Hunting involves killing and I feel that I have a moral obligation to provide a clean kill as any game shot has an inherent potential for damage. It's just like driving a car, hospitals are full of injuries caused by that, but adher to the traffic regulations and the risk is reduced to acceptable levels allthough ALL risk is impossible to remove.

Last edited:
You don't have to capture the actual kill this is rarely if ever shown on TV these days and personally I feel it's best left out. The kill is just a small piece of the whole day timewise anyhow. It's about doing a job and getting it done as proficiently as possible with little stress to the animals. From field to plate imho anyway.

Back