My first stalk.

SteveOh

Hi fellas...

I'm going on my first stalk at the end of November.

As you can imagine I'm running through my gear hoping I have everything...

Can you help me along by listing things that are essential on a stalk.

Thanks for any help.. :)

Beowulf

Two good knives. a main one and a spare,
Toilet roll in a water proof re-sealable bag,
A good pair of shooting gloves,
A spare change of clothes,
A flask of tea/coffee.

These may seem a bit of an odd choice, but believe me there will be times that you don't take them and you will later wish you had! ;)

First Stalk

DON'T DO IT STEVE OH, YOU JUST DON'T REALISE HOW MUCH TIME, MONEY AND CREEPING AROUND THE MISSUS THIS IS GOING TO COST YOU WHEN YOU GET HOOKED!!!!!

Good luck I hope you have a cracking time :D

Wayne

Beowulf

Good water proof boots that you have worn in! Nothing is worse than buying some 'Gucci' hunting boots putting them on brand new and going off stalking. Your feet will be a mass of blisters and your lead stalker will glare at you every time they 'Squeak' loudly. :oops:
Been there done it, I now wear the same hunter wellies I've had for ten years. :D

Good luck and remember loads of photos please! :D

stone

good set of sticks and pratice setting them up and leaning the rifle into them if you are borrowing an estate rifle just use a broom stale type object nothing worse than trying to get to a tree or post while all those sets of eyes are looking at you or being told to shoot free hand when the shakes hav set in good luck
ps if out on the hill ignore last comment and use your rucksack

SteveOh

Thanks for the advice fellas.... I've taken it all on board and have a shedload of gear now.... I'll keep you posted as to the outcome of my first adventure.... lol

Heym SR20

A sense of humour - essential when you are sitting in a white out on a Scottish Hill trying to wonder why you are doing this,

Or even more so when the stalker said an hour ago just off to get the snow cat - can you drag this wee beasty down that little hill there - and you are only half way down to the warmth of the vehicle. And even go down scottish hills have a ridiculous amounts of ups.

Or for when you have spent the last hour crawling through the balck stuff only to fnd that the hind is in fact a very skinny and scruffy little nobber.

A bottle of good malt to ease away all the aches pains and to warm you up and for you to remember the stalk with rose tinted glasses

All of the above happened on my first stalking trip 10 years ago and I still love it.