My house was broken into ( dog advice please )

Scots_stalker

A week past Thursday night at 4 am our house was broken into. They forced open the front door while we were in bed and by the time we came too they had taken both my watch and the wife's, and the keys to my daughters disabled adapted car , ( all caught on our cctv but they are wearing hoodies, gloves and shades ).

So after installing a new alarm system , my wife is adamant we need a house dog, a border terrier to be exact.

Do any of you guys have them ? Pros/cons etc.
brian

Shitbags. Anyway, when my house was broken into some years ago the old copper, when I was asking him about security, said - "There's only one system bothering about son. Go for FBD."
"Ok" says I, "I don't know that system. What is it?"
"Effing big dog" says he "It's the only one that works!"
So, maybe a wee bit bigger than a border. Unless it's a right barky one. But no use if it just barks all the time.

Great dogs. Every house should have one. Try and get one that has as little show strain in it as possible. They also make very good deer dogs.

We have two wouldn't be with out them.Best dogs we have had,they will adjust to any live style be it long walks or stay in all day. They will patrol their area and woe betide anything that shouldn't be there.But they are also gentle enough to play with the 2 year old grand children.A big dog in a small dogs body is the best way to describe them.

Shitbags. Anyway, when my house was broken into some years ago the old copper, when I was asking him about security, said - "There's only one system bothering about son. Go for FBD."
"Ok" says I, "I don't know that system. What is it?"
"Effing big dog" says he "It's the only one that works!"
So, maybe a wee bit bigger than a border. Unless it's a right barky one. But no use if it just barks all the time.

The coppers said the exact same to us !!

Last edited:
We have a lab, hwv and a gwp in the house , the hwv would welcome anyone in but the other 2 are very sharp and make their presence felt till visitors are declared as friends . Several houses in the area have been broken into recently but I feel very secure .

In 22 years of police work I wouldn't mind a quid for every time I attended a report of a burglary where the householders were sneering at their embarrassed dog who had ignored the whole break in. They never thought their dog would do such a thing. Get a dog because you want one, and fit an alarm system.

In 22 years of police work I wouldn't mind a quid for every time I attended a report of a burglary where the householders were sneering at their embarrassed dog who had ignored the whole break in. They never thought their dog would do such a thing. Get a dog because you want one, and fit an alarm system.
Agreed. House pets and real guard dogs are very different things.

Last year both my next door neighbours were broken into in the same afternoon. Copper doing enquiries asked to check out back of my house to see if any signs of an attempt to force my doors. I saw the look on his face as he noticed muddy paw prints all up the glass of my French doors, to shoulder height. I just said I don't clean the doors if burglar wants to take his chance after seeing that then good luck. Right on que Weimaraner bounded down the garden barking her head off.
He declined to go outside saying security seemed ok lol
Wingy

as stated. We have fitted a new system. And yes we want a dog , a border terrier, hence the post

Many years ago a local scrote broke into next doors house and had the misfortune to fall off the conservatory during his escape , he landed against the kennel of my Chesapeake Bay -he left a tattered pair of jeans and a blood trail for the police to follow.

Sorry guys, but I don't think anyone should be getting a dog just as an alarm system. If you want a dog and you're going to give him a good life and enjoy his company, not baulk at the not inconsiderable cost and the huge time commitment required, then great get one, but not just as an alarm.

As a shooting man there are huge benefits to getting a dog that will keep you company in the field, serve as an early warning system for deer and track anything that is poorly shot.

I have a HWV. Quite possibly the neediest dog on the planet. But I enjoy his company, he enjoys his days in the field and is a very useful asset to have with me when out stalking or any other kind of shooting. The bonus is that if anyone comes to the house he sounds like the Hound of the Baskervilles trying to get out. The FAO even wrote "Large Dog" under the section on security on his form.

Make sure you get a dog you are going to get something out of and enjoy. Think hard about what you want out of the dog and choose the breed based on those criteria. If you get it right you will have many years of enjoyment together.

Fkin scum!!!

ive got three teckels, I'd recommend one of them. They maybe small but enter at your own risk.

Fkin scum!!!

ive got three teckels, I'd recommend one of them. They maybe small but enter at your own risk.

I got two . Sound like rottweilers. Since we got the dogs we have had no break ins. No cats. Possums are bailed. Rats are killed. Nothing gets near the wife or me without them knowing. Took two years and then the first dog became very territorial. Then the second dog picked it up straight away. They won't stop barking until you investigate the disturbance or the disturbance has gone away.

Sorry guys, but I don't think anyone should be getting a dog just as an alarm system. If you want a dog and you're going to give him a good life and enjoy his company, not baulk at the not inconsiderable cost and the huge time commitment required, then great get one, but not just as an alarm.

As a shooting man there are huge benefits to getting a dog that will keep you company in the field, serve as an early warning system for deer and track anything that is poorly shot.

I have a HWV. Quite possibly the neediest dog on the planet. But I enjoy his company, he enjoys his days in the field and is a very useful asset to have with me when out stalking or any other kind of shooting. The bonus is that if anyone comes to the house he sounds like the Hound of the Baskervilles trying to get out. The FAO even wrote "Large Dog" under the section on security on his form.

Make sure you get a dog you are going to get something out of and enjoy. Think hard about what you want out of the dog and choose the breed based on those criteria. If you get it right you will have many years of enjoyment together.

I agree you should not get a dog primarily as an alarm system...I would not mind the alarm siren being smacked off the wall with a length of scaffold pole but I would hate one of my dogs to be summarily silenced.

I ended up with a couple of little working springers which just happen to be effective watch dogs. At night you can tell the difference in the bark between the odd passing badger, deer or fox and a human. They reserve especial vehemence/attitude for people arriving.

We had a dog-disturbed night recently, I went out and about with a bright torch. I didn't see anything, but two days later our three neighbours in the farms along the road had their outbuildings/workshops burgled. I am quite convinced the burglars were casing the joint and when our dogs set off and lights came on they went for the easier options. They even went into next door's garage and took a chainsaw and drill from beside the kennel of their affable yellow lab, patting him on the head as they left most like!

One other advantage as a self employed person you can claim for watch dog food and vets bills, in the same way you could claim for an alarm system and monitoring service...although I have to keep emphasising that they are watch dogs not guard dogs to the accountants.

Alan

In South Africa, growing up we used to have Boerboels at home for protection. If you want a guard dog that will keep burglars away, you could do worse than them. Here's a link to a particularly fine specimen:

https://thisbugslife.com/2013/06/06/my-new-favorite-boerboel-veiligplek-crespo-of-boerboel-greece/

The word 'Veiligplek' in the dog at the link above's name means 'Safe Place'. As a breed they are powerful, fiercely loyal, very good with children, but not so much with strangers and YMMV with other animals.

They DEFINITELY keep burglars and other troublesome types away and are absolutely not prone to being 'summarily silenced' 8>)

The burglars who broke into my friend's home knocked the hell out of his Rottweiler. Dogs are no guarantee of immunity from such vermin.

A week past Thursday night at 4 am our house was broken into. They forced open the front door while we were in bed and by the time we came too they had taken both my watch and the wife's, and the keys to my daughters disabled adapted car , ( all caught on our cctv but they are wearing hoodies, gloves and shades ).

So after installing a new alarm system , my wife is adamant we need a house dog, a border terrier to be exact.

Do any of you guys have them ? Pros/cons etc.
brian

All I'm saying is apart from dachs, small dogs sound like small yappers. Dachs are small dogs ("16kg") but sound like a 45kg dog. Person is first worried about if noise will bring attention, second is being able to handle a bigger vicious dog. The dachs will give them the impression you have both. But obviously my dachs are my hunting dogs first, watchdogs second, pets third so I wouldn't buy a hunting dog, to be a guard dog. Schnauzers are guard dogs, might be worth a look.

In South Africa, growing up we used to have Boerboels at home for protection. If you want a guard dog that will keep burglars away, you could do worse than them. Here's a link to a particularly fine specimen:

They DEFINITELY keep burglars and other troublesome types away and are absolutely not prone to being 'summarily silenced' 8>)

dog photo.jpg

Blimey!

Back