My rifles for the deer/fox season 2016-17

ejg

What are your set ups for the coming season?

I have all zeroed and ready.

From left to right. T3 223 (just bought second hand and needs new stock),
270Win Mauser Gibbs with open sights for monsoon conditions,
T3 243 with Hausken mod and Multipurpose carbon stock & conquest 6.5-20x50
new T3x CTR in 308 with mil spec E-Tac3/Ultra short PMII Hausken Jd224,
T3 custom E-Tac3 with Lilja 3 groove 22" 308 barrel ASH safety & K624i,
Sako L579 custom with Hunter carbon stock / LW barrel 22" 308 zeiss conquest 6.5-20x50,
Mauser 1909 Custom/ Multipurpose carbon stock/LW barrel Roedale mod and 3-12x50 FD7 S&B Zenith of course in 308

2016%2017_zpsvcbienyf.jpg

2016%202017_zpsqccu5sjb.jpg

edi

Wow that's a collection

I did think I'll post a pic of mine together but after seeing yours I feel a little inadequate now :) with just the Mauser m03 6.5 and Sako .22LR hehe

I think someone in the USA said: "If you know how many guns you have, you don't have enough guns."

I dont like to many Rifles rather only one but as i eat as much as I can Rimfires are best for Rabbit etc

Deer, fox AOLQ etc 6.5x47L 16.5" barrel
Dsc_0882.jpg

Fox Rabbit AOLQ main NV rifle 17HMR 14" barrel
Dsc_0151.jpg

Rabbit AOLQ Quite Semi auto .22LR 12.5" barrel
Dsc_1120.jpg

was retired but Think I may need my airgun again as land clearance maybe a PITA on possible small Urban sites

Rabbit pigeon etc sub 12ft lbs .177"
Dsc_8751.jpg

My BBF has also finished the season on top.

However with a few months to go, the drilling is going to be used. The 7mm and 12 Bore for every conceivable occasion.

4 X .308s ??

308 is a benchmark. Firstly very good cartridge for deer, secondly great factory ammo available. Very easy to determine if a 308 rifle is OK or not, just test with 168 match ammo, if one doesn't get under an inch something is wrong. My 308's all shoot with the same ammo to very similar accuracy. All 4 are capable of 1/4" groups, even the factory barrelled CTR.
Another reason to go all same cal and especially 308 is that we develop stocks and if one always uses the same cartridge one can compare recoil behaviour and accuracy issues.
Since a few weeks we are testing the T3xCTR that had no work done to it apart from attaching an aftermarket stock vs a full Custom Lilja barrelled T3 that was bedded in the aftermarket stock, (the two tactical rifles in the picture). Although muzzle velocity is way lower on the CTR they both shoot very similar groups. Shot the CTR out to 900m and getting very good hits. All shooting with factory Hornady 168 match ammo.
The old Sako was always a 308, she has been in our family since the early seventies. In the meantime a second life with new barrel etc. The Mauser needed to be a 308 to prove also an old Mauser action can be accurate with a good barrel. Shot many deer with her.

FGYT,
love the paint work on the 22

edi

308 is a benchmark. Firstly very good cartridge for deer, secondly great factory ammo available. Very easy to determine if a 308 rifle is OK or not, just test with 168 match ammo, if one doesn't get under an inch something is wrong. My 308's all shoot with the same ammo to very similar accuracy. All 4 are capable of 1/4" groups, even the factory barrelled CTR.
Another reason to go all same cal and especially 308 is that we develop stocks and if one always uses the same cartridge one can compare recoil behaviour and accuracy issues.
Since a few weeks we are testing the T3xCTR that had no work done to it apart from attaching an aftermarket stock vs a full Custom Lilja barrelled T3 that was bedded in the aftermarket stock, (the two tactical rifles in the picture). Although muzzle velocity is way lower on the CTR they both shoot very similar groups. Shot the CTR out to 900m and getting very good hits. All shooting with factory Hornady 168 match ammo.
The old Sako was always a 308, she has been in our family since the early seventies. In the meantime a second life with new barrel etc. The Mauser needed to be a 308 to prove also an old Mauser action can be accurate with a good barrel. Shot many deer with her.

FGYT,
love the paint work on the 22

edi

What reasons for did you give for need to get your FAC for 4x.308??

Martin we don't deal with rifles but due to our stock work we have to be RFD. I am way south in Ireland.
edi

Ok - since the thread is being dominated by a very modern aesthetic, I thought I'd sooth the traditionalists amongst us with my own 'collection'. I did start this by typing 'since this thread hurts my eyes' - but then realised I was really very jealous of some of Edi's guns. They are superb tools, and every bit as appealing as a classically styled rifle once you understand what they're optimised to do.

So - here are my three:

806d681ac46d30931d20831db545bfa9.jpg

Sako L61r in .270 with Leopold 3-9x50. Heym SR20 in .270 with Meopta 3-12x50 and Heym SR21 in .308 with S&B 8x50.

The .308 is the rifle I would run back into a burning building for...

Last edited:
your pics didnt come up on your post at first,,mines gone haywire cant upload pics,i give up! :doh:the one thats come up is a sako 75 308 8x56 s/b on it,

Last edited:
Ok - since the thread is being dominated by a very modern aesthetic, I thought I'd sooth the traditionalists amongst us with my own 'collection'. I did start this by typing 'since this thread hurts my eyes' - but then realised I was really very jealous of some of Edi's guns. They are superb tools, and every bit as appealing as a classically styled rifle once you understand what they're optimised to do.

So - here are my three:

806d681ac46d30931d20831db545bfa9.jpg

Sako L61r in .270 with Leopold 3-9x50. Heym SR20 in .270 with Meopta 3-12x50 and Heym SR21 in .308 with S&B 8x50.

The .308 is the rifle I would run back into a burning building for...

Mungo,
that Sako is a classic. Similar vintage to my L579 or? I never had a Heym yet.
My Sako actually started the whole stock making thing, she had a duff barrel I suspect from day one. Only when the first scope was mounted in ~73 did it really show. When I started deer stalking I tried to improve the rifle with bedding and looking for a different stock as I didn't like the way she recoiled. The accuracy never improved until a new barrel was fitted and I went on to experiment with stocks for the rifle until we started a production. Incredibly accurate and reliably shooting rifle now.
edi

Mungo,
that Sako is a classic. Similar vintage to my L579 or? I never had a Heym yet.
My Sako actually started the whole stock making thing, she had a duff barrel I suspect from day one. Only when the first scope was mounted in ~73 did it really show. When I started deer stalking I tried to improve the rifle with bedding and looking for a different stock as I didn't like the way she recoiled. The accuracy never improved until a new barrel was fitted and I went on to experiment with stocks for the rifle until we started a production. Incredibly accurate and reliably shooting rifle now.
edi
I'm not sure about the age of the Sako - the serial numbers are very hard to chase up. My best guess is around 1976. I got it for a song, and it has clearly been carried more than shot.

I got it bedded, and with no further work it shoots as well as I can hold with factory ammo. It's a heavy old beast, so you really don't feel the recoil - I use it as a loan rifle to friends and guests, usually not telling them it's a 270 until after they've shot!

The 308 Heym is in a class of its own. Astonishingly easy to shoot well, and handles beautifully. If I'm on form, it will shoot cloverleaf groups at 100m. I'm happy to head shoot with it out to about 140m. The 270 Heym is a recent acquisition, and only been used at cardboard boxes. So far so good! Guys me really nicely - don't even need a cheek pad.

Last edited:
Back