My shooting days over Docs letter request

I recently had a bout of lingering tinnitus in one ear following a cold that had caused ear ache in same ear.

Reminds me of a story from my old office.
New chap is sat at his desk and one of the old hands asks him, "Son, do you suffer from tinnitus?"

"No" came the bemused relpy.

"Well in that case answer the fing phone!"

Thanks again folks , it really does pleasantly amaze me what a cracking bunch there is on this forum , and the support has truly been heartfelt . Well the Renewal is all ready to go , less the variation i was going to add , i think best with whats going on corona and this medical issue . I have just over 16 weeks before mine expires but sending it in early to give them plenty of time , i'm stocked up with ammo so i'm good even if it takes a bit longer . So i'm hopeful it should be ok , and guess the FEO wont be doing home visits so will they do it by phone ? .

Out of interest would anyone else of added the variation .

My other half has just got her certificate renewed and received yesterday. The FEO did not visit due to current restrictions and therefore carried out the interview by phone. I am sure it will be like wise with yourself.
Don't worry if it takes longer than normal as they are up to their eyes in backlog at just about every firearms office in the UK.

Had my renewals done yesterday including variations. When I submitted my docs. (about eight weeks early) I also included photographs of my security.
All on the phone (obviously) and they are not chasing for any Doctor's letters.
FEO did say he would like to visit once this all settles down as he likes to meet his punters.
Hang in there Bongo - its all good.

How do they expect you too feel for gods sake.as one of the lads on here says be honest and all will be fine.been there got the t shirt..good luck fella

All looks much brighter than i first thought . My FAC does mean a great deal to me as im sure it does to everyone and its a privilege not a right to own one .

All looks much brighter than i first thought . My FAC does mean a great deal to me as im sure it does to everyone and its a privilege not a right to own one .

I would say that possession of an FAC or SGC is a "conditional right" and definitely not a privilege (even although the HOG describes it as such)
The Firearms Act is quite clear:

"A firearm certificate SHALL be granted where the chief officer of police is satisfied—

(a)that the applicant is fit to be entrusted with a firearm to which section 1 of this Act applies and is not a person prohibited by this Act from possessing such a firearm;

(b)that he has a good reason for having in his possession, or for purchasing or acquiring, the firearm or ammunition in respect of which the application is made; and

(c)that in all the circumstances the applicant can be permitted to have the firearm or ammunition in his possession without danger to the public safety or to the peace."

It's even easier for an SGC because (b) above (Good reason) is not required

If you can satisfy the conditions, the Police cannot refuse to grant or renew a certificate

Cheers

Bruce

I did send it in very early , we are now just over 5 weeks away , i cant speak to well , so i got the wife to call just to check as i at least expected a call , the girl did a check and said the feo was working from home (as most) and not doing visits and was due to call me , she said she would call him and get him to drop my cert into the office and she would get it posted out to me . (i do need ammo and she checked if it could be sent out before my feo call) .

(a) If there was an issue i would of expected her to say something surely .
(b) Why would the feo be due to call me , working through his list in expiry date order and not when renewal was received . but appreciated me sending it in early .
(c) What she did say was although they are up to date with things , Everyone is getting a extra 2 months extension added to there fac . Maybe handy to know . I maybe would of not sent it in so early had i of known .

So im still not doing a happy dance until it drops through the letter box , lol

I'm right with you regarding not doing a happy dance until it's actually in my hands. But generally it works out for the best.

From what you've said I can't see an issue. You've not had a major out of the blue outburst of unstable mentality for no apparent reason, it's been triggered by negative things happening and that reaction is perfectly reasonable.

Now I'm just awaiting the update to say it's all fine and you were worrying over nothing. I'm pretty sure that's going to be the outcome here!

I had a friend with diagnosed depression on medication and although they removed his firearms for a year the gave them all back and now renewals are not a problem even though he’s on antidepressants

Agreed, being on anti-depressants is not a reason to with hold the grant or renewal of an FAC or SGC.
However, it does help if your GP is supportive of your application.

Cheers

Bruce

Cant wait bongo' ! Please don't forget to let us all know if it arrives ! I shall scream and scream if you drop a line on here to say, you've had it ages?🤣🤣🤣 All the best!

BC.

Even if you did have depression (and you didn't: you were annoyed at having cancer), it is not a bar to you holding an FAC. Also, it was a long time ago. Don't write off your shooting career so easily. Your failure to declare was because you didn't bleddy well know about it!

Call your FEO and get his advice: they are not monsters; they are ordinary people (often ex-coppers) who have seen a few of life's ups-and-downs themselves. I bet you he turns out to be helpful on this.

Good luck and keep faith.

Kind regards,

Carl

I’ve had cancer in the throat, nearly got me, going back to 2005 and a leg off in 2018, several times my GP asked me during these episodes “Hows your mood” always given the same answer... I’m not done yet!!
Had I told him I was unhappy with my lot I wonder how my medical records would read and would I be struggling to keep my guns.

Willowbank

You guys need to do what I've just done. In advance. Ask for the FREE OF CHARGE paper print out of your medical records for the last ten years. Your GP usrgey must give them to you within thirty days. I needed mine for something else, not FAC/SGC connected, but nevertheless you can request them and they are free.

There's been totally fed'up and there's so bad your a danger to yourself and others . But your Doctor does not care how he words his notes as no one reads them anyway , not even him , Until you ask for a letter and then it really matters especially us lot that have a FAC . But then its to late . They don't realise the impact years later that there hasty scribbles may have on people . Yes if there is an issue , but not because its pouring down your soaked , waited 2 hours to see them , worked to death the mrs is been the mrs etc and so your totally miserable . In my case a bout of depression for a recorded period of a month in 2002 , as i previously put it was a bad time but wasn't discussed to the point i thought he would put i was depressed , but he has so its done , move on .
I certainly wont forget to update everyone as i think its important that others know whats what and not to worry and stress for nothing , I cant lie it is a worry perhaps worry is to strong and more of a concern , but not to the point im losing sleep . And great others have kindly added there history and positive outcomes . 15th AUG is the expiry date so im sure i will get my call or cert by then , i am hoping it will drop on the mat any day , hopefully without a big red rubber stamp .

Dancing shoes are polished ready . :-|

So please be careful what the Doctor is putting down on your records
I think it is also a matter of what you tell your doctor.

Another small thing (small?) is that while looking for a suitable doctor it wouldn't be hard to vet the chosen ones with a question of what are their personal views re the shooting sports?
There are many doctors that own and shoot firearms and surely would be more sympathetic to their fellow sportsmen than a tofu tossing ginger invader.

I had my annual check up in February with the nurse at my doctors practice. In the course of the check up she asked,’How’s your mood’?
‘Never been happier’, I responded. ‘Retired, live in a beautiful place, happily married and relatively fit, couldn’t be better’.
Next day I brought up my medical records on the surgeries ‘System on line’ app. I looked at what the nurse had written and was totally aghast when I saw that she had entered ‘Depressed mood’ against my mental health!
I was able to contact her by telephone to which her response was, ‘I don’t know why I’ve put that down, it’s a mistake”.
It was then changed to ‘normal’.
Luckily I picked this up the day after my check up. What would have been the consequences if I had not picked up on it until my firearms renewal? Begs the question, was the nurse anti-firearms?

I think it is also a matter of what you tell your doctor.

Another small thing (small?) is that while looking for a suitable doctor it wouldn't be hard to vet the chosen ones with a question of what are their personal views re the shooting sports?
There are many doctors that own and shoot firearms and surely would be more sympathetic to their fellow sportsmen than a tofu tossing ginger invader.

All true. Except generally in the UK it goes something like this: You apply to join a surgery by filling in forms and leaving them at the reception desk. They then allocate one of the doctors in the practice as your doctor. You don't have much say in it. You'll just get the one the practice manager allocates, which will be the one with the least patients usually.

I had my annual check up in February with the nurse at my doctors practice. In the course of the check up she asked,’How’s your mood’?
‘Never been happier’, I responded. ‘Retired, live in a beautiful place, happily married and relatively fit, couldn’t be better’.
Next day I brought up my medical records on the surgeries ‘System on line’ app. I looked at what the nurse had written and was totally aghast when I saw that she had entered ‘Depressed mood’ against my mental health!
I was able to contact her by telephone to which her response was, ‘I don’t know why I’ve put that down, it’s a mistake”.
It was then changed to ‘normal’.
Luckily I picked this up the day after my check up. What would have been the consequences if I had not picked up on it until my firearms renewal? Begs the question, was the nurse anti-firearms?
APP tell me more , But how lucky are you . i still believe mine is an entry made by mistake .

All true. Except generally in the UK it goes something like this: You apply to join a surgery by filling in forms and leaving them at the reception desk. They then allocate one of the doctors in the practice as your doctor. You don't have much say in it. You'll just get the one the practice manager allocates, which will be the one with the least patients usually.

Can you not then ask him on first meeting what his views are? Then head off for another choice if he is a mung bean tosser?
Having the WRONG doctor that could cause stress isnt good for ones health is it and the anti doctors should be sympathetic to this.
They did sign an oath!

Back