My Young lad from Slovenia.

Fosbery Holster

Wonderful photos of a great looking dog pup, from the photos l can see a calmness about him, great depth of chest plenty of heart room, very well developed for a year old dog, obviously from hard hunting hard working parents.
I owned a solid liver bitch 35 years or so ago she also loved to swim, very biddable, very soft mouth and very affectionate never put a foot wrong when trained.
Training for both of us was a learning curve when she was young if she didn’t want to train we didn’t. Never owned a GSP since!

levigsp

Hi all, thank you for your replies and I was a little confused reading them, until I went back and read my original post to realize a big chunk of what I had written has vanished.
So Ill try to correct here as I cannot edit original! Emrys is now 18months, the first photo shown is the only one of him at 1 year old. He is about 25" at the shoulder and weighs 39kg. He has not finished growing, but the bones needed to set before training start, have set. He loves water, loves to retrieve, etc and rather strangely the point is the thing that's going to take most effort.!

levigsp

Wonderful photos of a great looking dog pup, from the photos l can see a calmness about him, great depth of chest plenty of heart room, very well developed for a year old dog, obviously from hard hunting hard working parents.
I owned a solid liver bitch 35 years or so ago she also loved to swim, very biddable, very soft mouth and very affectionate never put a foot wrong when trained.
Training for both of us was a learning curve when she was young if she didn’t want to train we didn’t. Never owned a GSP since!
He is very calm, so laid back you could use him as a pillow! He comes from one of the best hunting gsp breeders in Europe and she is also one of the most highly trained and thought of dog trainers in Europe.

Fosbery Holster

Hi all, thank you for your replies and I was a little confused reading them, until I went back and read my original post to realize a big chunk of what I had written has vanished.
So Ill try to correct here as I cannot edit original! Emrys is now 18months, the first photo shown is the only one of him at 1 year old. He is about 25" at the shoulder and weighs 39kg. He has not finished growing, but the bones needed to set before training start, have set. He loves water, loves to retrieve, etc and rather strangely the point is the thing that's going to take most effort.!
In the photo above of him pointing, correct me if I’m wrong, he’s pointing fur the reason l suggest this is because of his stance, hind leg raised ?
My bitch would do this constantly whilst pointing, foreleg feather, hind leg fur. We used to work together with lots of GSP’s, and never saw any other pointing this way.
Whilst helping a young HPR to point l always tried to use something with a good scent Pigeon Grouse even Hedgehog, even if he’s just indicating game with a flash point or a wag of the tail he will point staunchly given time, one HWV l owned was staunchly pointing at twelve weeks old, every dog is different and eventually the penny drops and they point anything and everything.

levigsp

He was actually pointing one of our rarest bird a phalarope, and then only just as he fell over and frightened it away LOL.
I agree back leg normally fur and front for birds, but if you have the time and put in the effort, its great to see the different points, Levi the last dog I spent a lot of time with, would point differently Rabbit, Hare, Deer. Snipe, W Cock, Grouse, Partridge and Pheasant and when he showed, you knew exactly what to expect. Not all dogs can get that good. Van just stops dead in whatever position he's in.

Fosbery Holster

He was actually pointing one of our rarest bird a phalarope, and then only just as he fell over and frightened it away LOL.
I agree back leg normally fur and front for birds, but if you have the time and put in the effort, its great to see the different points, Levi the last dog I spent a lot of time with, would point differently Rabbit, Hare, Deer. Snipe, W Cock, Grouse, Partridge and Pheasant and when he showed, you knew exactly what to expect. Not all dogs can get that good. Van just stops dead in whatever position he's in.
Levi must be a wonderful dog to watch Working, and that’s what it’s about watching your dog (male/female) learning from the dog after all we teach them to a degree or should I say help, then they teach us the rest of it. With my first HPR l was told “watch your dog” this statement meant learn from the dog.
Talking of pointing different quarry species again it’s experience on both sides that counts, the stature of the dog, body high low, head high low, front leg up rear leg up, the list goes on, you have to learn to read the dog.
If the dog we purchase comes from proven working stock it does make it somewhat easier long term, the HWV l spoke about wouldn’t ever get bored ‘but’ would tell me when to go to the next stage in the training (very quick learning) she always made me smile.

Never had a dog point Phalarope!!