N140 6.5x55 120gr

Essexsussex

Hi all
having trouble getting my hands on powder but can get N140. Will n140 give me a good stalking load with pro hunter 120gr? Vhit has it on their load data but has anyone used it?

thanks

ES

Essexsussex

You would be better useing N150 - N550 for the 120 grn

thanks SS - unfortunately this is what is available. If it will be acceptable rather than optimal that would be ok. If it’s just a daft idea and likely to have accuracy issues that would be more difficult.

supersport

Never tried N140 in my 6.5 case volume could be low so if that’s all available I’d consider a lighter bullet say 100 grn or just suck it and see
thanks SS - unfortunately this is what is available. If it will be acceptable rather than optimal that would be ok. If it’s just a daft idea and likely to have accuracy issues that would be more difficult.

Dan Newcombe

mate of mine uses 47.5gn N140 behind a 120gn Nosler and looks like it does the job. Spitting them out at 2770 apparently and accurate as hell.

usual caveats about working up etc.

Just away to figure a load out with N140 and 120gn eld's

mate of mine uses 47.5gn N140 behind a 120gn Nosler and looks like it does the job. Spitting them out at 2770 apparently and accurate as hell.

usual caveats about working up etc.

Just away to figure a load out with N140 and 120gn eld's

I think thats more likely to be 37.5gr. Max is 39.5gr for a 120gr sierra.

Claret_Dabbler

Adam, VV data has the max load of 40.0gr of N140 with a 120gr bullet for a pathetic velocity. Low to mid 40's would be fine. 2900FPS would be easily achievable with a slower powder.

Wasn't in mine. Pressure at max for N140 I don't mind working up with slower powders but I'm very wary of doing so with powders at the fast end of the spectrum.