Available: National Trust - Ashridge

NickJ

Deer stalking contract up for grabs

Ashridge Estate, Hertfordshire and Buckinghamshire

National Trust is inviting tenders to deliver deer management over the next five years. This is an exciting opportunity for skilled and experienced stalkers to work with the National Trust in this special part of the Chilterns Area of outstanding natural beauty.
The successful contractor needs to demonstrate professionalism and experience in delivering deer management in areas with high public access. We also require the contractor to be qualified to DSC2.

How to apply

To make a formal expression of interest and to receive proposal documents, please email National Trust's wildlife management.
Closing date: Friday 9 July 2021

Ronin

Distinguished Member
Wasn’t that the spot where there was a video’d “interaction” between a stalker and his “mate” mid gralloch and a dog walker which didn’t come across very well ,,,

rookyshot

Wow, that’s one stunning area with some magnificent deer but very high volumes of public using the area at times. If you look carefully you’ll also see a lot of high seats on all of the bordering properties. I recently tried to purchase a property bordering Ashridge and the owner was a keen stalker and had a couple of high seats in the back garden.
Fantastic opportunity for some with more experience and time than me.

Rhodesianjess

Be aware that local opinion of the last chaps stalking Ashridge is not very kind. Friends live locally,they pick up for me so hardly anti fieldsports, and they had run-in's when out with their dogs. Others likewise so be prepared to pour oil on troubled waters to start with if you're interested.
On the bright side,the area holds a lot of fallow. My employer has farms in the area and I have to keep numbers down, some seasons quite a few considering everyone locally has a crack at them. Best of luck with applications if you consider it.

opticron1

Beautiful place and loads of Fallow there the last time I was down (at Ashridge itself, sadly not stalking), but does get very busy with dog walkers and visitors.

B&W FOX

With the amount of public around Ashridge it will be like trying to take a shot in Windsor Great Park.
And since the pandemic started 16 month's ago the numbers of joggers, dog walkers and mountain bikers has got worse.

dnm26

Deer stalking contract up for grabs

Ashridge Estate, Hertfordshire and Buckinghamshire

National Trust is inviting tenders to deliver deer management over the next five years. This is an exciting opportunity for skilled and experienced stalkers to work with the National Trust in this special part of the Chilterns Area of outstanding natural beauty.
The successful contractor needs to demonstrate professionalism and experience in delivering deer management in areas with high public access. We also require the contractor to be qualified to DSC2.

How to apply

To make a formal expression of interest and to receive proposal documents, please email National Trust's wildlife management.
Closing date: Friday 9 July 2021
The email link comes back unreachable?

Lateral

If this is the same contract, that it's been for the last few years, it's not for the "Hobby" stalker, it's a commercial cull, where the contract is to cull in excess of 500 deer per year.

It has been undertaken by a group of professional hunters, who are there full time, for circa two months. It was described to me as "deer killing", not deer stalking.

Walkers cause a major issue, so the conditions are difficult, and very political.

Gully

There are still a lot of deer up there. They've taken a lot out over the last couple of years but the deer know where to be during the day and its all in areas near main roads with no backstops. I live in the edge and see plenty but it would be hard work to take them out safely. I've chatted to a few of the last lot and they've been stalking around really busy areas at busy times. Never going to get anything, maybe want to show off their rifles.