Vacancy: National Trust Deer Manager Coordinator

Do love they clarify that the work may involve early mornings/evenings + weekends 😅

Not sure how effective deer management would be if everyone only stalked 9-5 Monday-Friday 😅

"30 unpaid contract stalkers"

Definition of an oxymoron right there!

Actually no, just definition of morons. Forget the oxy bit.

Not really.

A contract is “a legally binding promise (written or oral) by one party to fulfil an obligation to another party in return for consideration.”

So a contract doesn’t require a financial payment, just a consideration. That may include the permission to stalk deer on a piece of ground, the rights to the venison, etc. I’m sure there are plenty here who would happily sign a contract if it gave them permission to stalk deer on a piece of ground, even in the absence of being paid to do so.

They may not be being paid but they might be able to keep the deer and shoot 300 a year. I wouldn't call them a moron

Well it will suit someone with diplomacy skills and the ability to remove dead wood

Considered applying - but I don’t think I have the patience or people skills to deal with the above 😂

I hope the right person gets the job - it’s a real shame the last person in post has gone , they were perfect for the role

👍🏻

They may not be being paid but they might be able to keep the deer and shoot 300 a year. I wouldn't call them a moron
The National Trust in the Teign Valley Devon share it with the 'volunteers', the Trust keep alternate deer, Mugs game if you ask me, especially with the price of venison at the game dealers at the moment.

I hope you are referring to the National Trust and not the volunteer stalkers?! :):)

• Haha
Reactions: VSS
The National Trust in the Teign Valley Devon share it with the 'volunteers', the Trust keep alternate deer, Mugs game if you ask me, especially with the price of venison at the game dealers at the moment.

Not that much of a mugs game, some folks are paying thousands of pounds a year for a lease. Stalking in the lakes is hard to come by. Positions such as these are cherished.

I think a lot of folks that have got stalking, and had it a while, forget what it’s like to be without.

Not that much of a mugs game, some folks are paying thousands of pounds a year for a lease. Stalking in the lakes is hard to come by. Positions such as these are cherished.

I think a lot of folks that have got stalking, and had it a while, forget what it’s like to be without.
I understand where you are coming from, but it would be a principal thing with me, they should be either paying the stalker or let them keep everything they cull.

I understand where you are coming from, but it would be a principal thing with me, they should be either paying the stalker or let them keep everything they cull.
Policies for deer management in the NT vary by region and property.

That makes sense as every property is different, high public access in many places, lower in some others. Same with deer numbers/impact levels.

Some areas (two) have full time professional stalkers, some volunteer stalkers who keep the carcasses (several areas moved to this 'keep' policy when venison prices collapsed around Covid) and some where the 'recreational' stalkers pay for the stalking and keep the carcasses. Some, very few have used paid contractors.

It works in general as their ecologists and rangers are generally happy with deer/habitat impact levels.

Policies for deer management in the NT vary by region and property.

That makes sense as every property is different, high public access in many places, lower in some others. Same with deer numbers/impact levels.

Some areas (two) have full time professional stalkers, some volunteer stalkers who keep the carcasses (several areas moved to this 'keep' policy when venison prices collapsed around Covid) and some where the 'recreational' stalkers pay for the stalking and keep the carcasses. Some, very few have used paid contractors.

It works in general as their ecologists and rangers are generally happy with deer/habitat impact levels.
The type of person who are becoming rangers is changing, in the not so distance future I'd expect a more woke rewilding agenda

The type of person who are becoming rangers is changing, in the not so distance future I'd expect a more woke rewilding agenda
I don't disagree. I was an NT Warden (now called Rangers) on and off from 1989 to 1994, a number of us were ex professional stalkers and gamekeepers before and after the three year National Diploma in Game & Wildlife Management at Sparsholt (I was 90-93.) Deer management was a very big part of my role.

It was a very different organisation then but I saw it start to change for the worse I'm afraid, even way back then. Some mates stayed with them until the last 5 years but by then they had had enough of the change in direction and, indeed 'wokeness.' There are still some good people there though.

In the Lakes specifically what has restricted the Trust's rewilding plans is that many of their properties were gifted to them by Beatrix Potter - who had it written in the covenants that they continued to be farmed, especially stocked with the Herdwick sheep breed she was so involved with

Back