Navara vibration

Craggy

Hi guys
my 08 navara developed a vibration throughout the car between 65 and 75mph.

I didnt get get it checked out as I thought it could be wheel balancing and as I was getting goodridge AT put on.

New tyres on and the vibration even worse. Looks like an appointment at Nissan.

Anyone any ideas what it could be?

thanks
​craggy

Kalahari

May be the drive shafts, but at this distance it is a dodgy guess at best. Still you could roll under it and "waggle" each end by the UJ to check for play.

Hope this helps,

David.

techno

have you been off road roading and ripped a balance weight off a propshaft?Inspect both props for damage.
​Has the vehicle got a centre diff lock? if so engage the cdl and remove front and rear prop one at a time and test it.

Craggy

Thanks for replies guys
its done about 75k , I will book into Nissan tomorrow

​craggy

landkeeper

could be a buckled wheel , wheelbearing, uj on the propshaft or any one of a dozen other potential failures, if it's that bad get a grown up to check it out 70mph is no time to find out it was something vital

Nod-1

It will be from the prop shaft or uj or centre bearing you just need to get it on a ramp and check for play.

Craggy

Well i took navara to Nissan and they rebalanced the 2 front tyres which made an improvement but now vibrates between 65 and 80 mph
when I get to 82mph all vibration stops and car runs smoothly.
I took back to tyre centre and they rebalanced and adjusted all four balancing weights, and a further improvement but still some vibration.

I just dont don't understand why it smooths out at 82 mph

thanks
​craggy

AlasdairM

Will be a uj on one of the prop shafts. On mine rear prop wen first at around 80,000 miles then the front at around 95,000. Crawl under and give the props a wiggle if there is play you will feel it and possibly hear it. If it is the front you can actually remove the prop and drive without it to see if he vibration goes away.

Charlie Basher

If it is wheel balance then it could be "dynamic" so it will only occur at a specific RPM range, hence why it comes in at a speed and then goes again as the speed, or RPM of the wheel increases. A good tyre fitter should cure this quickly and in one hit. I would guess that there may be something else amiss.

ATB

​CB

Craggy

Good news problem solved
it was the universal joint on prop shaft

goodridge AT tyres quiet at last
thanks for your replies

​craggy