Need some reloading advice for .270

Everycal

Hope you guys can help? Some of these are probably stupid questions so I apologise in advance!

Found someone who is going to load up some .270's for me. All for deer.

Sticking with 130 grain heads I think.

Stupid question #1. Will different brands/types of 130 grain head shoot differently with same powder and case behind them?

Does anyone have any recipes they can suggest? At the moment I am shooting Winchester 130 grain Silver Tips.

Know I need to try a few different recipes to see what the rifle likes in terms of home loads. Does anyone have a few of any different sorts they made but their rifle doesn't like around Leicester that I could buy to try out?

Any recommendations on where to buy powder, primers and heads from near Leicester?

hi try RL19 57.5 grains or h414 53 grains.i use both and winchester 760 but it takes some getin hold off good shootin ian

I shoot two 270 and know quite a few others I would say match the bullet to your quarry not the type you like. you don't say what you intend to shoot so thats my first question to you then after that it depends on what your after from the load. I use hornady 4831 or 4895 and use the first in my 300 win also. to me bullet choice is everything and then work my load to suite the rifle I started using all different types of bullets before settling down to the ones i find work. for me seirra gamekings broke up and i stopped using them on reds just leaving the jackets behind and not many exits.
most bullets recoved under the skin on the far side this at first did not bother me as they dropped after staggering forward a few paces and my thoughts were all the energy has been dumped inside the animal but after a sika running with little blood thats when i started looking for a stronger bullet to exit with blood loss for larger game.
game kings worked really well on smaller deer but i wanted a bullet to use all the time, if you are looking for a huge blood trail sst work like no other from my findings some say the meat damage is exessive but if its in the correct place it doesn't matter as nothing is wasted on the rib cage.
nosler partitions have been exellent and would recomend them as hornady interlocks have been good to me also
I also liked speer spire points but could not get anymore so found an easier to get hold of bullet like nosler or sst.
The winchester silver tips are quite fast so the recoil cannot bother you, my load is 60 grains h4831 but that is on max so you need to work up to that but i also found my accuracy was getting up to the higher end of the load.
I would say think about what you want to shoot and choose a bullet to do the right job, atb wayne

I shoot two 270 and know quite a few others I would say match the bullet to your quarry not the type you like. you don't say what you intend to shoot so thats my first question to you then after that it depends on what your after from the load. I use hornady 4831 or 4895 and use the first in my 300 win also. to me bullet choice is everything and then work my load to suite the rifle I started using all different types of bullets before settling down to the ones i find work. for me seirra gamekings broke up and i stopped using them on reds just leaving the jackets behind and not many exits.
most bullets recoved under the skin on the far side this at first did not bother me as they dropped after staggering forward a few paces and my thoughts were all the energy has been dumped inside the animal but after a sika running with little blood thats when i started looking for a stronger bullet to exit with blood loss for larger game.
game kings worked really well on smaller deer but i wanted a bullet to use all the time, if you are looking for a huge blood trail sst work like no other from my findings some say the meat damage is exessive but if its in the correct place it doesn't matter as nothing is wasted on the rib cage.
nosler partitions have been exellent and would recomend them as hornady interlocks have been good to me also
I also liked speer spire points but could not get anymore so found an easier to get hold of bullet like nosler or sst.
The winchester silver tips are quite fast so the recoil cannot bother you, my load is 60 grains h4831 but that is on max so you need to work up to that but i also found my accuracy was getting up to the higher end of the load.
I would say think about what you want to shoot and choose a bullet to do the right job, atb wayne

Thanks very much Wayne for taking the time to write such a comprehensive answer. Really appreciate it!

just to add to the last post the h4895 i use a larger 150 grain bullet its a slower round but is exellent on heavy game or for driven piggies it also is really good woodland round in heavy cover i have not had any bad meat damage from those i have been using interlocks and again sst,this is not a long range bullet as it is not a fast round so i have kept it to 100-150 yrds atb wayne

Firstly, you will need to take care if you are going to shoot unknown reloads, you would need to be sure they will chamber in your rifle, (full length re sized), & be within safe charge weights, different bullets may or may not shoot differently in your rifle, you will need to try some combo,s probably a good idea to shoot some mixed factory offerings as a base line.

Hope you guys can help? Some of these are probably stupid questions so I apologise in advance!

Found someone who is going to load up some .270's for me. All for deer.

All deer?
Moose, Elk, Sambar, or paddock deer?
A good 130 grn projectile will kill most paddock deer ,but I'd look at least at a 150grn if I were to chase "all deer" with a 270.
Your ability to shoot well & make decisions on shot choices will make far more difference than the use of different powders,projectiles, cases, etc.

If you do go with the ADI powders (it's sold as hogdon up there ok, not hornady??), the ambient temp is not an issue either.

Cheers Sharkey

I shot a .270 for years, I used 130grn RWS H Mantles when the estate was paying and requiring me to use factory ammo. When rolling my own I almost exclusively used 130grn Sierra game kings with Reloader 22. 130grn bullets are fine for any UK deer. You will probably find that most loads (with the same weight bullet) will shoot very close to the same point, the .270 is one of those calibres that seems to be inherently accurate.

It seems that reloading for someone else open up a whole can of worms legally. Let alone liability wise.

It seems that reloading for someone else open up a whole can of worms legally. Let alone liability wise.

As above, when I looked into it I couldn't seem to find a straight answer but the best I could come up with was that it is ok as long as the person receiving the rounds knows they are reloads and isn't paying for them (apart from buying components) I don't reload for 270 but have in the past helped friends work up loads for their rifles in 222 and 22-250 when I did this I sat down with them and went through the process of what was involved and where all the load data was from (bullet maker or powder maker).

In my opinion anyone who sticks a reload in their rifle without knowing exactly what is in it, the process involved in making it and checking it against the load data used is nuts. Even if someone with the same rifle as you supplies their pet load that will shoot a flies nuts off at 300 yds always check the load against a manual and start low working up to it.

If the Winchester factory silvertips work well in your rifle I believe they are Nosler ballistic silvertips so are available as a reloading component. If I was you I would buy some of those for your first reloads and use the factory round OAL whilst working up a powder charge. If that's not viable have a look at what bullets are a readily available in you local gun shops and pick one that is fit for your purpose and is affordable to you. I would also look at Viht as a powder as it's readily available throughout most of the uk and supply doesn't seem to be effected by the Americans going crazy every now and then and buying everything they can.

Rick

Last edited:
I use 140gr Hornady Interlocks over Elcho 17 (aka Reloder17, but less expensive). The MV is a modest 2875ish, but accuracy is good.

if you are not shooting high volumes and not actually learning to do the reloading yourself I would stick to factory ammo as above.
find one that works for your rifle

that said reloading can be a hobby in its own right and produce the satisfaction of shooting the deer with ammo you made (analogy of salmon and home tied flies applies)

I have 3 .270's and load for them all
I have tried everything from 90gr HP to 180SP but always come back to 130gr Soft Points!
current stock is Hornady Interlocks (not the SST's as in my opinion they are designed for a longer range quarry like the 300+ yard antelope market and if you happen to shoot one at 30yds you will find out the hard way just how violent they can be)

130gr run at factory speeds will out perform 150gr at factory speeds at every aspect of trajectory, velocity and energy across the entire stalking range of zero to 300yds. only after this does the heavier weight come in handy.
not worth the change in my opinion

any combination of N160, Rl19/22, 4831, normal (non magnum) large rifle primers and quality brass should give good results

Personal choice. norma brass, CCI200 LR primers, 54.5gr N160 and 130gr Hornady Interlocks loaded slightly longer and just below the crimp cannelure. but that won;t apply to your rifle without an amazing coincidence!

I don't run my 130gr loads hot or up to factory speeds, mainly because 99% of my deer shot are 30-90yds away and 3100fps factory velocities can over expand a lot of bullets at that range (I have one from this weekend that has done just that at the circa 2850-fps I load to, shot at 30 yds, no exit)

Back