New addition to the team

jimmy milnes

Lovely dog, my neighbour has one looks just like that except as a pet.

She complains that she can’t let it off the lead cos it buggers off 🤣
An old mate of mine had a beagle like that let it out and it'd be off hunting, sometimes turning up 2 days later.. Talk about a self employed hunting dog jeez it'd of done my nut in but he just used to laugh about it.

Lloyd90

It usually takes me about 5 emails to convince someone who thinks that they want a teckel that they really don't. Quite often the 'breed' that they want to tick all of their boxes doesn't yet exist - only in books and beer tents

Assume you work them Keith?

What is their style of work?

Do you just go get them from the truck if you need to follow up a shot deer? Or they can come out and walk along on the lead as you stalk?

pj1

Smart looking pup.
lloyd90.
it will depend slightly on the individual dogs temperament. Mine will happily creep along beside me and once the harness and line gets put on he switches up a gear.
Keith will tell you more though.

Attachments

• 1B23537C-A1F7-4821-9AEC-EBFF2D29BBF2.jpeg
    1B23537C-A1F7-4821-9AEC-EBFF2D29BBF2.jpeg
    502.1 KB · Views: 33

NullMac

It’s like buying a Labrador then complaining it keeps retrieving stuff 🤣
That'll be my previous one then. Great dog, but he cost me a fortune picking stuff the beaters and pickers up had missed. Stopped shooting and went picking up eventually, much more fun. I should have been on a percentage

Keith Edmunds

Assume you work them Keith?

What is their style of work?

Do you just go get them from the truck if you need to follow up a shot deer? Or they can come out and walk along on the lead as you stalk?
Our imports were all 'tracking trained' to prove that they were capable. Our best achievement to date was a 16 hour trail of around 600 metres using scent shoes and blood, from memory about 100ml on that one. We also did some shorter trails with just scent shoes with varying degrees of complexity and aging. The beauty of artificial trails is that the only limitation is your imagination.

I do not stalk at present, but will be soon, after a lay off, but even if I did, I would very rarely match the complexity of a laid artificial trail when out stalking. In fact, if my dogs had to rely upon tracking experience from stalking sessions they would be virtually unemployed - hence, in my view, the importance of regular artificial trails.

Mine have occasionally been out stalking but three of them are very driven and they find it a real chore tbh. More experience might calm them down and 'desensitize' but, given the choice, they would much rather be hunting cover than sitting in a high seat or creeping at heel during a woodland stalk.

We have selected more subdued studs over our highly driven bitches and the results are very promising. It is still early days and the offspring are young but it can be clearly seen that most are more suited to the 'stalking companion' role than their dams.