New boots.

Boarboy

After 14 years of hard use my Hanwags have finally died. I'm just wondering wether to go back to another set of Hanwags, or try something else. Meindl? Lowa? Harkila? E.t.c. Any recommendations appreciated. I quite like the look of the harkila ones? This is for lace type boots, not wellingtons. I have quite broad feet. Thanks.

David T

Last two pairs of boots have been harkilla. This time I went for meildl dovre extremes. Harilla were very good and I found them quite broad but there is a lot of stitching which means more to wrong and I found that the heather knocked the stuffing out of them. On the plus side they are very comfortable right from the box and the sole is, for a hunting boot quite soft so you can feel twigs/branches under your feet. The meildl is a great hill boot, really robust and the sole is very hard, really biting into the snow. Upshot of this ramble is that I use the harilla for my lowland roe and the meildls for highland reds.

n3al

You can not beat a pair of haix nebraska pro boots. Light weight, leather boots with good ankle support. Mine are two years old and as good as new

tumbleweed

Meindl Dovre for wide feet and large calves. Try before you buy, order up online, distance selling laws come into effect and if they dont fit then return. I asked many a seller if the boots would fit wide feet and large calves and quite a few said not to buy as they would be of no use and i was very grateful for their honesty and i said so in reviews.

Hereford

Harkila pro hunter's - comfortable out-of-the-box as mentioned above, hard wearing, properly waterproof and nice and warm - wouldn't buy anything else

Rob1562

Altbergs for me. Been wearing their boots for 15 years, still have the first pair from 15 years ago (field and fell) comfy out of the box and can be sent back to the factory for a full refurb for about £45. I have four pairs and the missus has two pairs....tried other brands but for me Altberg are the business !

Farmerjoe

I currently have a set of Harkila pro-hunters. gotta say they are probably the most comfortable boots ever straight out of the box.

While i do like them i have some concerns about durability, im not sure how long they're gonna last! and i look after my foot wear.

I also have some meindls that are now 8 years old and have been worn and worked hard for that period of time(well looked after though!). theyre still watterproof and show no real signs of the leather cracking, though the rand is starting to perish a now(Down to cow dung i think, though theyre always washed off).
whilst ok on the comfort front they are not as good as the Harkila.

The sole on the Harkila is much softer than the Meindl, makes a big difference to comfort in a high leg boot if your in them for prolonged periods of time. also the leather and other materials of the Pro-hunter feel thinner/lighter by comparison, if that makes sense?

I expect the meindls to out last the Harkila, read what you will in that! but i like both boots.
I went for the Harkilas as they were in stock in my size at a good price when i wanted a higher legged boot and im happy with that choice!

would you rather have a boot that lasts forever but is not so comfortable, or one that lasts ok but feel like wearing a pair of slippers!!

Atb,
Joe

Hales Smut

I currently have a set of Harkila pro-hunters. gotta say they are probably the most comfortable boots ever straight out of the box.

While i do like them i have some concerns about durability, im not sure how long they're gonna last! and i look after my foot wear.

I also have some meindls that are now 8 years old and have been worn and worked hard for that period of time(well looked after though!). theyre still watterproof and show no real signs of the leather cracking, though the rand is starting to perish a now(Down to cow dung i think, though theyre always washed off).
whilst ok on the comfort front they are not as good as the Harkila.

The sole on the Harkila is much softer than the Meindl, makes a big difference to comfort in a high leg boot if your in them for prolonged periods of time. also the leather and other materials of the Pro-hunter feel thinner/lighter by comparison, if that makes sense?

I expect the meindls to out last the Harkila, read what you will in that! but i like both boots.
I went for the Harkilas as they were in stock in my size at a good price when i wanted a higher legged boot and im happy with that choice!

would you rather have a boot that lasts forever but is not so comfortable, or one that lasts ok but feel like wearing a pair of slippers!!

Atb,
Joe
A friend of mine bought, after abusing 2 pairs of Meindl Island, a pair of Harkila Pro Hunters. Best, most comfortable boots I ever had, is his idea bout them. He's not a shooting man. Uses them around the stables, cutting wood, some terrier work, .......
After reading some bad comments about Harkila, I started hesitating going in that direction. I still am undicided as a cameleon in front of a smartie box, and I urgently have to buy boots.
Reading your post, may I think that the recreational stalker ( what I am ) might be just as good with Harkila's. Might be not as strong as Meindl, but will survive the 3/5 day a year stalk, on the Hill and be much more comfortable / supple from day one , out of the box. I just want a comfortable boot that lasts reasonable long to be worth the money. They will only be used 4/5 months a year. In spring and summer I don't need them. A boot like a Meindl Dovre probably is better suited to the pro Hill stalker who uses his boots on daily basis in the hardest conditions, but is less comfortable.

Hereford

A friend of mine bought, after abusing 2 pairs of Meindl Island, a pair of Harkila Pro Hunters. Best, most comfortable boots I ever had, is his idea bout them. He's not a shooting man. Uses them around the stables, cutting wood, some terrier work, .......
After reading some bad comments about Harkila, I started hesitating going in that direction. I still am undicided as a cameleon in front of a smartie box, and I urgently have to buy boots.
Reading your post, may I think that the recreational stalker ( what I am ) might be just as good with Harkila's. Might be not as strong as Meindl, but will survive the 3/5 day a year stalk, on the Hill and be much more comfortable / supple from day one , out of the box. I just want a comfortable boot that lasts reasonable long to be worth the money. They will only be used 4/5 months a year. In spring and summer I don't need them. A boot like a Meindl Dovre probably is better suited to the pro Hill stalker who uses his boots on daily basis in the hardest conditions, but is less comfortable.
I've had my pro hunters about 18 months now and I reckon that I've worn them near enough every day - I stalk and rough shoot around 5-6 days per month - thing is, they are so comfortable that the in between times I now wear them for work - I'm a clerk of works and regularly on building sites inspecting work (I know they're not toe tectors so don't start!). They are a brilliant boot - always keep feet warm but not to the point of being sweaty, not clumpy, the Vibram soles are soft, provide excellent grip but have not worn down anywhere near what I would have expected them to. For the money, they are the best pair of boots I have ever bought - you won't go wrong if you're recreational stalking with these....