New Brass Prep, what’s your routine?

wildfowler.250

Out of interest I wanted to see what folk on here tend to do with new brass? I’ve bought 100x lapua recently for a couple of calibers.

I’ve been full length sizing them from the start so that in theory when come to reloading them as once fired, they’re should end up the same time shape.

I then chamfer and clean inside the brass as normal. This feels very much a waste of time but unsure if it’s a step you can skip with new brass?

I’ve read one or two posts on here who just load from the start? Ever noticed any change of groups once they’re reloaded as once fired?

Foxyboy43

All too often I have found inconsistencies in new brass length in many different makes so I treat them as though they were once-fired from someone else’s rifle and do pretty much exactly as Caberslash says two posts up. That way I can trust the brass knowing they will fit perfectly in my rifles, after that first firing - neck-sizing Is just fine.
🦊🦊

Pedro

You'd think new brass would be excellent and ready to load and I'm sure it'll be within permitted tolerances or poo would have hit the whirly thing many times by now. So it really depends on how finicky you might be about potential accuracy. Me? I tend to treat it as I would once used brass except for tumbling it.

Cyres

De burr flash hole, FL size, check some lengths if in spec use, otherwise trim to length. Load and shppt. Depending on rifle and calibre either neck size or full size.

D

Jax

Expand necks to remove dents and make uniform.
FL resize as brass is trimmed in Giraud trimmer.
Trim all brass to uniform length. The cutter also chamfers inside and out.
Wet tumble or wipe to remove sizing wax.
Primer pocket uniform.
Flash hole debur.
Neck turn.
FL resize.
Wet tumble to remove brass shavings and sizing wax.
Anneal.
Set neck tension using mandrel.

own worst enemy! I hate getting new brass!

Last edited:

Jax

Expand necks to remove dents and make uniform.
FL resize as brass is trimmed in Giraud trimmer.
Trim all brass to uniform length. The cutter also chamfers inside and out.
Wet tumble or wipe to remove sizing wax.
Primer pocket uniform.
Flash hole debur.
Neck turn.
FL resize.
Wet tumble to remove brass shavings and sizing wax.
Anneal.
Set neck tension using mandrel.

own worst enemy! I hate getting new brass!
Should have been wet tumble after FL size then trim

wildfowler.250

Cheers guys! Certainly seems to be a few of you treating them similar to fired cases. I’m sure for deer/vermin, just loading and shooting would also work.

Thanks for the replies and nice to know I’m not being completely daft and wasting my time!

Loler UK

Check gauge length against fired case, if bump is less than I would resize then fl size and trim c&db. If it's already short then t,v&db then mandrel and load but being sure to adjust btom if my jump is minimal as a short gauge length will reduce your jump which could cause a safety issue.
Sometimes virgin brass has a gauge length that your die won't even touch the shoulder so resizing it is achieving very little

dropmdead

Usually, I do a full check over and annealing, then size, inside neck mandrel, primer pockets, skim the necks and chamfer for bullet seating.

The second firing, I clean, anneal, size, trim (to the shortest case length), chamfer.

I also chamber a fully sized empty case, and inspect with the teslong, brass to the end of the chamber clearance. It's more just comfort to know there's space for carbon build up.

Every reloading process you decide to do, do this every time! Don't neck size 5 times and then full length size, Changing the internal volume dimensions. Be consistent in what you do.