New GWP pup, where do I begin!

dunwater

not all. mine was doing just about everything required of him at 7 months. while labs and spaniels were still wondering what their tails were doing. hr had been coming to shoots for 3months at that time, and seemed to understand from the off what it was all about. he went deaf at 12 and continued using only hand signals , and a lifetime [for him] of experience.
I suppose it depends on what you’re aiming for, I try to trial my dogs so I m looking for a fairly polished performance, because they point you can shoot successfully over a relatively green hpr, not saying that you’re pups were like that mind. l just my experience.
I’ve seen a fair few young dogs compete in both spaniel and retriever trials successfully but very few pointers, setters or hprs
Maybe it comes down to the job specification, nothing else has to do it all

riddick

I suppose it depends on what you’re aiming for, I try to trial my dogs so I m looking for a fairly polished performance, because they point you can shoot successfully over a relatively green hpr, not saying that you’re pups were like that mind. l just my experience.
I’ve seen a fair few young dogs compete in both spaniel and retriever trials successfully but very few pointers, setters or hprs
Maybe it comes down to the job specification, nothing else has to do it all
in all honesty I only had the one gsp at the time and could give him almost 24/7 of my time he came everywhere with me all and every day, [I had little else in my life at that time other than keepering] I believe we both made a few mistakes, but our successes quickly overshadowed those. I never trialled him, never thought much of that crowd, I'm sad to say there is a very dark side to my life, suffice to say I remember every dog I ever had fondly,I cannot say that of people even those that spawned me. but that's another story. Those that are around me now dogs and people, aren't here because I'm anything special,,, but because they are.

Heimdall

I asked the same when I got mine gwp.x.viszla. best advice was start with the basic (sit stay recall ect ) let the pup be a pup. Mine is 2 1/2 now and great on deer but as it's been said still has moments of daftness. Hopefully in the next year she will get the last of the pup out of her system:-|

dunwater

in all honesty I only had the one gsp at the time and could give him almost 24/7 of my time he came everywhere with me all and every day, [I had little else in my life at that time other than keepering] I believe we both made a few mistakes, but our successes quickly overshadowed those. I never trialled him, never thought much of that crowd, I'm sad to say there is a very dark side to my life, suffice to say I remember every dog I ever had fondly,I cannot say that of people even those that spawned me. but that's another story. Those that are around me now dogs and people, aren't here because I'm anything special,,, but because they are.
Stay safe and keep trucking. It’s never going to be a perfect world and we’re never all going to agree, it’d be a damn boring place if we did.

Brittany boy

My Gwp now ten months still a daft pup but loves to learn , let it be a pup build up a bond spend as much time as you can with it and concentrate on the recall, if you can get it back to your side the battles are much easier won. If you feel your getting frustrated with the pup forget training it and just go a walk. You need to keep the bond. If your going to use it for stalking concentrate on this first and keep it in close. Once you start shooting feather it will developed its legs and that's when the recall comes into its own. I wish I had got one years ago but space didn't permit. Only issue with mines is he likes to be up early not had a long lie since we got him

Shabz

My GWP pup is 12 years old now, she’s really started to calm down in the last three or four months. She’s quite biddable now.

If I had my time again with her, I would concentrate on making her a good pet. The prey drive was always there, I should have tried to contain it rather than encourage it. At least to start with, until the basics were there. I should have kept her away from a shooting field until she was bomb proof at recall etc. I made myself a lot of problems!

Playing at retrieving and then Deer stalking as a first introduction to ‘the field’. Just heel, sit and stay is how I would do it next time. I didn’t start stalking as a hobby until she was about five years old, just shotgun stuff really. I only bought a rifle to keep the dog entertained. It was the making of her. I wouldn’t be without her now.

Attachments

SGArms

My lad is around 16 months now hes been coming out with me since he was 6 months old. First time I shot a rifle over him was not long after. People remark how steady he is. How did I do it? I don't know really just took him out as much as possible. When I put the viper flex sticks up he immediately sits and waits for the bang! He knows theres a treat at the end of it.. We had our moments the first few months learning but know we work as a team which I think is key. My advice is as already said bond with the dog. Spend as much time as possible getting him steady thats the key to a good dog. Buy a jaeger type lead from Trollsmoor to keep him at heel until he learns where he needs to be. As said the drive on prey is a natural instinct in the breed. Enjoy!!

Reactions: Kjf

rem284

My GWP pup is 12 years old now, she’s really started to calm down in the last three or four months. She’s quite biddable now.

If I had my time again with her, I would concentrate on making her a good pet. The prey drive was always there, I should have tried to contain it rather than encourage it. At least to start with, until the basics were there. I should have kept her away from a shooting field until she was bomb proof at recall etc. I made myself a lot of problems!

Playing at retrieving and then Deer stalking as a first introduction to ‘the field’. Just heel, sit and stay is how I would do it next time. I didn’t start stalking as a hobby until she was about five years old, just shotgun stuff really. I only bought a rifle to keep the dog entertained. It was the making of her. I wouldn’t be without her now.
This is very good advice. Dogs with high drive you actually have to put a lid on them and concentrate on the obedience. They know how to hunt.