New Knife

robinjames

lost my Casstrom knife and still to replace it. Wondering if I stick with what I know, or go for something different? Not sure I can face forking out £70 for a knife, sure there must be just as good much cheaper alternatives? Any advice/strong opinions? Mora seems to be popular? thanks in advance

Burnies Boy

I have tried quite a few of the knives that are popular with stalkers, Mora, EKA swing blade, Gerber, Boker but I always seem to find that I go back
to a Cold Steel Pendleton Lite. It costs about £20 can be sharpened to a razor edge and it holds an edge well, my on criticism is that they do not make then with an orange handle.

reloader54

any knife under 400 quid is a massed produced piece of rubbish,,:stir::stir::stir:

you need one that will skin and graloch a whole herd of deer without sharpening:rofl:

mine is so sharp, when I pull it from its sheath deer just die of shock, the savings on powder and bullets has enabled me to purchase a really cool hat for £70:smug::coat:

bijssg

Any knife does the job some need sharpending more than others as quality varies (obviously) just like any deer legal calibre will do the job (some better than others again)

the more deer you shoot the more you realise expensive knifes are just a gimmick and really not worth it, cheap plastic handled knifes with a good steel to sharpen is all you need.

Most ‘experts’ on here would probably laugh at me what kit I use in the larder. But then the older old school generation of stalkers amounst you that use a knife as often as folk on here use a keyboard or a pen I’m sure would agree.

robinjames

thanks all, i am rubbish at sharpening the knives, but my sister is a chef so she does it for me, with that in mind sounds like I am better off with a cheaper one (phew) and I'll maybe start trying to sharpen it myself. Someone else had recommended the pendleton knife so might try that.

robinjames

any knife under 400 quid is a massed produced piece of rubbish,,:stir::stir::stir:

you need one that will skin and graloch a whole herd of deer without sharpening:rofl:

mine is so sharp, when I pull it from its sheath deer just die of shock, the savings on powder and bullets has enabled me to purchase a really cool hat for £70:smug::coat:

ahh, if only I could find something that would make the dratted foxes die of shock I'd be a happy person indeed (and have a lot more hens)

Ray7756

ahh, if only I could find something that would make the dratted foxes die of shock I'd be a happy person indeed (and have a lot more hens)
My 22-250 makes the dratted foxes die of shock ,,,,high velocity shock ,,,,pmsl
a Mora knife is great never thought of spending a lot of money on something i know will get left on the hill, i carry 2 moras with me and another in the motor
cheers
Ray

Ray7756

Timex v Rolex, Kia v Range Rover
They all do the same job. Has the money, take the choice !
my dad used tp work for Timex in Dundee so had a few of them,, had a few Rolex including a gold one also had several range rovers and a 1986 Rolls Royce Silver Spur, but never though of spending hundreds of £ on something I would definately loose on the hill, but as you say its each to there own
Cheers
Ray

bluesako

i own 3 alan wood knives, had them for years, and before you say it, yes they get used plenty, they are tools , and never left anything on the hill, it seems to me there are a lot of shooters that keep losing their hard earned equipment on the hill. dave.

Last edited:

nun_hunter

thanks all, i am rubbish at sharpening the knives, but my sister is a chef so she does it for me, with that in mind sounds like I am better off with a cheaper one (phew) and I'll maybe start trying to sharpen it myself. Someone else had recommended the pendleton knife so might try that.

If you're that bad then get a Havalon knife. Not cheap (about £35-40) but with the disposable razor blades they will be sharper than anything and after a deer or two just snap on a new one. Only downside is you can't hack away at joints with it but if you know what you're doing you'll be fine. If not carry a Mora etc for the heavy work. I have the Havalon Piranta and wouldn't be without it now.

Oh the irony of your words when underpinned by the signature across the bottom of all your posts :doh:

"It's sad that not everyone shares your point of view, but there's not enough room up your ass for everyone's head."

robinjames

you're right about spending the money then loosing it on the hill. The Casstrom knife was a present so I didn't have to fork out for it, now its coming out of my own pocket, being a bit more careful about my choice. Thanks for all advice/comments, have ordered a Pendleton knife and will see how I go.

Burnies Boy

Hope you get on ok with the Pendleton knife, another advantage I have just thought of with these knives is that you can use your finger up the back of the blade, the point of your finger just protecting the point of blade from puncturing the gut when opening the body cavity. Mora knives normally have a very sharp point which can easily puncture glove/finger if your not very careful.

NigelM

I bet the hat goes really well with your tactical beard too...

robinjames

Hope you get on ok with the Pendleton knife, another advantage I have just thought of with these knives is that you can use your finger up the back of the blade, the point of your finger just protecting the point of blade from puncturing the gut when opening the body cavity. Mora knives normally have a very sharp point which can easily puncture glove/finger if your not very careful.

well, i've done that a few times anyway, must improve my knife handling skills!