New project...maybe!

S&L7x57

My new project arrived yesterday, a LH Rem 788 in 308Win. Photos below.
Had been hankering after a 308 to put my diet of 270W and 7x57 in perspective and this one came up in LH so I grabbed it for a modest sum.
I can see why they got an enviable reputation for accuracy: the action is built like a brick built SH and the 'sporting' barrel likewise. Perhaps a bit ahead of the game with 3 sets of locking lugs and 60 deg lift. I also like the RH eject port and safety, IMHO more user friendly than LH.
The stock is horrible but someone has retro-fitted a grip cap from a 19th C English gun so that goes into the parts box. Boyd list a bunch of options for the 788 so that is the way to go. I'll order in the USA and collect myself on one of my US show runs.
T'Pull is a very crisp 5lb 14oz (!), no creep, no over-travel to speak of. Timney is the answer if the project turns out to be a goer.
Barrel is factory (?) threaded 20x1/2" so either of my T4 or T8 should work. Very clean once I had scrubbed out a thick layer of yuck, possible grease.
Question: if the T4/8's are marked up 0.30 should they be okay for a 308?

Anyway, I need your help:
To scope it up for initial testing, I need some 1" rings at a minimum outlay.
So could someone please identify the two existing mounts, marked '75' & '76'?
Where can I get some cheap functional rings to match?
Thank you for your help.
Rem 788 308W (2).JPG Rem 788 308W (5).JPG Rem 788 308W (3).JPG Rem 788 308W (6).JPG Rem 788 308W (7).JPG Rem 788 308W (8).JPG

alberta boy

Those are weaver mounts . There are many inexpensive rings out there that are compatible . Cool old rifle , keep us posted , they'll usually surprise you with how well they shoot . How's the bore look ?

AB

S&L7x57

Thanks to you all, yes I found them both on the Weaver site so at least I know what rings to get to get it shooting and find out how it does.
Alberta Boy: the bore was filthy with some kind of brown yuk, possibly preservative grease. Now it has had a good scrub with H'No9 it looks bright and shiny with good definition to the rifling. No pitting visible to the naked eye. No obvious damage to crown nor throat but I don't have a bore scope to really check. Will just have to shoot it and see!

enfieldspares

The notches are there to allow the shank of the cross pin, or screw, (that tightens the mounts on to the bases) to go from one side of the bases to the other. So where that notch is on each base? That is pretty much centre portion of each ring base therefore. So you can get an idea of your ring spacing from that. And in effect the flat of the mounts underside will ride flat on top of the "rails" of the bases.Hope it helps.

Last edited:

S&L7x57

The notches are there to allow the shank of the cross pin, or screw, (that tightens the mounts on to the bases) to go from one side of the bases to the other. So where that notch is on each base? That is pretty much centre portion of each ring base therefore. So you can get an idea of your ring spacing from that. And in effect the flat of the mounts underside will ride flat on top of the "rails" of the bases.Hope it helps.

It does, thank you.

Sika98k

So I think Enfieldspares has answered the question. I have a couple of pairs of rings IIRC.
a T4 or T8 marked .30 will be ok for anything up to and including 30 calibre, ie 308,30-06.

Last edited: