New Rifle? What's the first thing to do....

Toxster

May be in this situation on Saturday, with my first every rifle in my hands.... .308 M595

My gut feeling is to get the seller to give it a pull through, then take it to the range (which is handily next door).

Jimbo 30 06

May be in this situation on Saturday, with my first every rifle in my hands.... .308 M595

My gut feeling is to get the seller to give it a pull through, then take it to the range (which is handily next door).

Run it in properly it will then last you forever with good cleaning policy.

Jimbo

270Buck

Run it in properly it will then last you forever with good cleaning policy.

Jimbo

If its an M595 I doubt it has never been fired before, therefore no need to run it in.

i would shoot it as it comes from the seller, see how it groups. Then clean it with appropriate cleaning solutions and see if it still holds a group.

Mick9abf

First thing I usually do is make sure the missus isn't about prior to slipping it into the cabinet, it also helps to get rifles that all look similar - when asked how many I have "a few" usually works a treat :D!

Tartan_Terrier

First thing I usually do is make sure the missus isn't about prior to slipping it into the cabinet, it also helps to get rifles that all look similar - when asked how many I have "a few" usually works a treat :D!

Fill your gun bag with old newspaper before leaving the house, that way you can leave the house with a 'rifle' (wearing your hunting gear may help the illusion), and then come home later with a rifle and clean it and put it away without her giving it a second thought.

stalker.308

Fill your gun bag with old newspaper before leaving the house, that way you can leave the house with a 'rifle' (wearing your hunting gear may help the illusion), and then come home later with a rifle and clean it and put it away without her giving it a second thought.

​Ha ha ha! Very good, never thought of that, although I recently bought a new shotgun and my good lady put it on her credit card!!

glogin

First thing is to take it apart and see if you have any redundant parts left when you put it back together :oops:

badbob

308 595 good choice.
buy a box of ammo
first clean barrel of any oil.dust etc
check scope and rings for loose screws do not overtighten.
shoot at a big target at 30 yards to see if scope is mounted ok,
now shoot at 100 yards see what group you can get
adjust zero if necessary
go slowly keep barrel cool. enjoy

if you can get a 2 inch group in the bull at 100 yards its ok.
now you can try to get your group size down but they should be centered
and stay centered not move around.

good to go

VSS

I think the first thing most folk do is sit and cuddle it for a while. Even stroke it perhaps.
Put it down on the floor / chair / kitchen table etc and walk around viewing it from different angles.
Try on all the bits and pieces - mod, bipod etc.
A bit more viewing from different angles.
Then a bit more cuddling / stroking.
And so on.

Mackensen

Great choice - an excellent rifle. First, inspect it carefullyand clean it thoroughly as above - check all screws, fittings etc. Check for any unusual marks/distortion/defects in/on the barrel and bore (sight down it from various angles and both ends in bright light).Check for hairline cracks in stock etc. Then familiarise yourself with the bolt operation; check operation of safety catch and test it; check magazine(s) for faults, dents, spring tension etc. When you are happy that it is sound and safe to use, do some dry firing from various positions until you are comfortable with it, then take it for a walk and get used to carrying it and mounting it. Then zero it and enjoy it!

paul o'

carry a gun bag with a wooden poll to the same size as a rifle, hold it as if its heavy ! so when the new toy come home to stay you still have the same looking case :eek: worked for me for the last 30 yrs :rofl: don't come home to quick :-| ?

bewsher500

New to me - used and maybe abused....

if you can ask the previous owner
I made the mistake of deep cleaning the bore on a new rifle and it cost me a good handful of ammo to get the accuracy back!!

otherwise I normally strip and clean every aspect, it also means you then know how to disassemble and reassemble it

Muir

Clean it with a proper rod - not drag a boresnake over the crown.
For heaven's sake yes! That woven cloth in the bore snake is far more damaging to the crown than a steel rod. The horrors I've seen using bore snakes for the last 20 years on my own rifles have been unspeakable. I never talk about them.
Ever.;)~Muir