New Sauer 202.

Countryman

I'm currently looking to buy a new rifle and have been giving serious
consideration to the Sauer 202 but lately i have heard from one or two
people who own this model that their rifles have 'gone off ' whilst closing
the bolt. Has anyone else experienced this. I would appreciate any advice
because frankly if it is true it could be potentially serious. :eek: :eek: :eek:

caorach

I would be inclined to ask if those people who had rifles that had gone off when the bolt was closed were reloading their own ammo, or perhaps even they had it reloaded for them by the same person. I have an R93 and love it but there is no doubt that the 202 is a nice rifle and it was what I set out to buy before becoming diverted to the Blaser. I've never seen any reports of either of them suffering from slam fires.

Hunting Solutions

Countryman,

I would say its a nasty rumour! Both myself and my business partner use Sauer 202's as our personal stalking rifles and I would say they are one of best built and smoothest factory rifles available.

Should you be anywhere near the North West and wish to view/handle the Sauer range, just let me know as we are official dealers for Sauer in this area and I would be more than happy for you to compare them against Sako, Tikka, Steyr, etc...

They really are a nice rifle. :)

buck52

I have had a 202 for over a year, the normal trigger is set quite light and it has never gone off by accident, not even when the set trigger is activated which only takes a gnats fart to set it off.

Never read about the problem before either.

ROESHOOTER

SAUER 202 AVANTGUARD

Hi,

Have a 202 as above for a few years now, no problems with factory or home loads.

Exellent all round stalking rifle highly recomended.

ROESHOOTER

morena

I to have a left hand sauer 202 No problems. Actually like the safety catch set up as all you do is push up when ready to fire.

Brough

Very nice safety on the sauer ,a lot smoother ,and easier to use than the safety on them old blaser r93 imo ;)....incoming

smullery

And I like the "lack of a safety" on the Mauser M03 because it is actually a cocker, not a safety.

I always find problems with the Mannlicher thumb wheel safety when wearing gloves. Thumb moves, glove then moves, does/did the safety move?

if you have a problem with a rifle and reloads then I would look to the loader first.

If you have a problem with a rifle and factory then;

1. If still under warranty, get ye back unto a dealer.

2. If out of warranty visit a riflesmith.

I've only ever witnessed hangfires, all with reloads. Rounds going off as soon as the bolt was rotated to open, not on closing.

Stan

Countryman

Deako said:
Countryman,

I would say its a nasty rumour! Both myself and my business partner use Sauer 202's as our personal stalking rifles and I would say they are one of best built and smoothest factory rifles available.

Should you be anywhere near the North West and wish to view/handle the Sauer range, just let me know as we are official dealers for Sauer in this area and I would be more than happy for you to compare them against Sako, Tikka, Steyr, etc...

Thanks for the reply,i did think it could well be just a rumour but you never know so naturally i felt
inclined to check because lets face it that's one kind of accident you
don't want happening. The model i had my eye on was the 202 outback
but i have also been a little concerned about the thickness or rather
thinness of the alloy action/reciever, and unless i am mistaken some
people have reported the mounting screws shearing off under recoil due
to this. Is their any truth in this?

MJR

I have a left hand 202. No problems at all and the bolt has a very smooth action. I was told after buying it to threadlock the scope mount screws in the top of the reciever.

Jagare

I did think about buying the 202 forest with the short barrel. But like Smullery i bought the Mauser M03 instead. Never heard anything bad about the 202 though.

buck52

Countryman said:
Deako said:
Countryman,

Thanks for the reply,i did think it could well be just a rumour but you never know so naturally i felt
inclined to check because lets face it that's one kind of accident you
don't want happening. The model i had my eye on was the 202 outback

Countryman, you are right, some of the Sauers have an alloy receiver, especially the Outback, I think they have changed back to steel now though, 6.5x55 has one of these, ask him.

As has been said tho, threadlock and carefull fitting should cause no problems.

Claret_Dabbler

Countryman said:
...The model i had my eye on was the 202 outback

Countryman, the material the Sauer receiver is made from has absolutely no bearing on the strength or safety of this rifle. The Sauer bolt locks directly to the end of the barrel and the action bears no pressure.

If the mounts are corrently fitted and screws tight, there should be no problem.

In any case, recent years production of the Sauer alloy action have the weaver bases moulded in (if this is the correct term) at production. You no longer need to fit bases to these rifles.

Hunting Solutions

Claret Dabbler is spot on.

The new models of the Classic and the Outback do indeed have the weaver bases as an integral piece of the action. There is no longer any need for screws.

The real beauty of the alloy action of course, is that it makes for a nice light rifle.

buck52

If you do decide on the 202 outback, make sure it is a latest model, then as claret dabler says you will not need screws.

Go for it and get that brass spent before the recession gobbles it up, we're all doomed :p

buckup

Hi, I own two 202 Sauer's. One in .243 the other in 7x64. Both shoot well with none of the problems mentioned. As someone else has offered you the chance to handle one up North I'll offer mine for your appraisal down South. I'm in South Bucks if you want to have a few shots.
Mark
P.S. Be aware that although the barrels are interchangeable, the smaller calibres i.e the .22 c/f rounds and .243 have only three locking lugs on the bolt, whereas the larger calibres have six. To swap barrels you will need to buy the barrel, bolt and mag, VERY expensive. Thats why I own two 202 rifles. Another "flaw" if I can call it that, is that a normal Harris bipod won't fit the Sauer's Q.D. sling swivel. If a bipod is an important accessory to you, bear that in mind.
Mark

Harry mac

Hi, I own two 202 Sauer's. One in .243 the other in 7x64. Both shoot well with none of the problems mentioned. As someone else has offered you the chance to handle one up North I'll offer mine for your appraisal down South. I'm in South Bucks if you want to have a few shots.
Mark
P.S. Be aware that although the barrels are interchangeable, the smaller calibres i.e the .22 c/f rounds and .243 have only three locking lugs on the bolt, whereas the larger calibres have six. To swap barrels you will need to buy the barrel, bolt and mag, VERY expensive. Thats why I own two 202 rifles. Another "flaw" if I can call it that, is that a normal Harris bipod won't fit the Sauer's Q.D. sling swivel. If a bipod is an important accessory to you, bear that in mind.
Mark

Harris do an adapter to fit their mounting stud to hollow fore-ends and I've got one of those fitted to mine. You have to relieve the inside bottom of the fore-end a bit to fit it, but once done it works a treat.
As for those people that report all these apparently common problems like rifle going off or fore-end bending/warping, etc. They wouldn't be trying to sell other rifles would they?
I've had a Sauer 202 in 308 for about 14 years now. It's seen a couple of thousand rounds up it's tube and grassed lots of beasts. It's never missed a beat yet. Not gone bang when it shouldn't and the barrel is as free floating today as the day I got it.
I too am puzzled though as to why Sauer saw fit to use 3 locking lugs on the 243 bolt instead of staying with the normal 6.