New Scottish deer working group report

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff
This does not make good reading for stalking and estates in Scotland. I have just breezed through this final report. I hate to think what the state of play will be in the future.

willie_gunn

With the Greens and the SNP now in bed together I’d not want to be either an estate owner/factor nor be in the Fieldsports industry. A public interest test for the sale of large estates - with a right of pre-emption in favour of community buyouts - and the further expansion of culling deer. Neither bode well.

Still, it will be the land of milk and honey come independence, apparently.

caberslash

Quite fancy some public land (bow?:eek:) hunting but unfortunately the nanny state and cronyism would never be open to such ideas, even before the green/vegan mob have a chance to protest it.

Let's face it, since the clearances there has been a long held, and completely justified, resentment towards large tracts of land whose purpose is the pleasure of a few individuals.

The right to roam might be the ire of some on here, but I think it was a step in the right direction.

I know I'm in the wrong country with regards to my stance on land use, need to live in a part of the world in which you go to a national park if you want to hunt/zero your rifle to shoot at longer ranges.

The problem of land hoarding is only getting worse as the population increases. Yet a certain Scandinavian billionaire has gotten away with owning much of the Highlands because of his stance on deer which tows the party line. NC500 made him good money too.

Wonder how much he has slipped under the table the SNP/Greens over the years?

slider

This is not new. The report was released in Feb 2012 and Scottish Government accepted most of the recommendations in March this year.

The only thing that is new is that the SNP 's quasi coalition with the Green Party guarantees them a majority on this topic in Parliament.

willie_gunn

Quite fancy some public land (bow?:eek:) hunting but unfortunately the nanny state and cronyism would never be open to such ideas, even before the green/vegan mob have a chance to protest it.

Let's face it, since the clearances there has been a long held, and completely justified, resentment towards large tracts of land whose purpose is the pleasure of a few individuals.

The right to roam might be the ire of some on here, but I think it was a step in the right direction.

I know I'm in the wrong country with regards to my stance on land use, need to live in a part of the world in which you go to a national park if you want to hunt/zero your rifle to shoot at longer ranges.

The problem of land hoarding is only getting worse as the population increases. Yet a certain Scandinavian billionaire has gotten away with owning much of the Highlands because of his stance on deer which tows the party line. NC500 made him good money too.

Yes, when the SNP say they object to foreign ownership of land they really mean English ownership. Like all politicians, they are happy to turn a blind eye to those who support them.

I don’t have any problem with the right to roam, so long as there’s an acceptance of the accompanying responsibilities.

I do wonder, though, quite how all this land is going to be maintained - and who will pay for it - once the estate owners are kicked out.

Malxwal

Yes, when the SNP say they object to foreign ownership of land they really mean English ownership. Like all politicians, they are happy to turn a blind eye to those who support them.

I don’t have any problem with the right to roam, so long as there’s an acceptance of the accompanying responsibilities.

I do wonder, though, quite how all this land is going to be maintained - and who will pay for it - once the estate owners are kicked out.
It's all okay, you just need to sign up for the great leap of faith, that being that once "we" have voted for independence, all the competent politicians will appear magically to run Scotland..... All the money trees will easily flower enough money to replace the expenditure once borne by our oppressors.
In reality meanwhile, the moors will turn to a barren wasteland, then scorched earth as the first halfwit flicks his fag end into the heather.

csl

Administrator
Site Staff
Does anyone have a link to the document in question please?

Last edited:

JockStalk

22% debt, low oil price and a dream team now signed up to decarbonisation.
But never mind, there is a sunny, jam-filled future ahead if you just ‘believe’.
All you have to do is cut ties with the only bank of last resort you are tied to, the Bank of England. Then figure out whose currency you’ll use, whichever you choose you’ll have no financial control over it at all anyway. Try and finance your national debt on the money markets, kinda hard to do when you have no bank of last resort, no currency of your own and 22% debt and growing. Not saying that cutting yourself off from these fiscal structures can’t be done, just that it has never been done. Ever. Anywhere.
And then, just for a moment saying you pull that off, how do you tell 5 million people that austerity beyond that faced by Greece and Albania is here for the rest of this generation?
The arrogance, fanaticism and sheer delusion is a thing to behold.

countrryboy

Why is it only 'collecting' land that is bad, wot about all these urban types with vast property portfolio's/and many rental properties are ok????

I'd imagine most urban types would rather own there own home than a part sare in a sh@tty piece of hill ground good for nothing but growing midges
It really wouldn't take that many city centre flats to equal the price of a smaller estate and the income will be 5,10 or 20 times that of an estate.

I mind 1 major landowner sold of a decent sized hill farm 15 or 20 years ago (possibly longer now) at the time it was quite unusual for them not sell, not so now, selling as much as they can aswell as hiking rents up at every opportunity.
It was a very old lease on the farm so would be cheap rent, they put all the money from the sale into property i believe in edinburgh, reckon they were making the annual farm rent every 2 months from the rental income in edinburgh.

NullMac

Lower deer numbers

You and I would get on fine :D Although...

The clearances were centuries ago ffs, but some people are still banging on about it. Old news man.

I don't think your billionaire friend and his ilk have many pals in the SNP. They are the first to have their hand oot to government to fund his fanciful ideas, which at the end of the day doesn't contribute to the long term for the country or its environment but is good for oneupmanship at the cocktail parties in Monaco. That's not a guess on my part.

There is **** all going under the table TO government, these ****s only ever want the money to go one way.

I am all in favour of environmental restoration but I think we need to, eh, restore the environment before some big knob gets to brag about restoring wolves to the Scottish landscape. Not quick enough or very sexy for them though.

slider

Give to me and I'll plant trees on it.

Oh, wait most of it is peat and priority habitat, I'll just need to let it grow wild and abandoned then.

Oh wait, it will all scub up and woodland will eventually emerged and the priority habitat will be lost......