New tick alert

Sonicdmb73

I have literally just seen this on one of my Facebook groups. Yet another good reason for treating your stalking clothing.
Now where did I leave that permethrin:-|

Sika-Hunter

I think a lot more money needs to be spent on somehow eradicating ticks , years ago you would hardly see a tick now they are absolutely everywhere and more diseases keep cropping from , this is not just a problem to Stalkers and farm workers but all the public and they are posing serious health risk. I have just come back from Scotland and a hind I shot in birches on lower ground was covered head to toe in ticks , I certainly treat all my clothing now , we need an arachnid that eats or destroys ticks.
Just found this,"Fire ants can clear a field of ticks" (and most other creatures) quite effectively. :thumb: :thumb::lol:

Last edited:

TomDeer

I thought the speculation that the ticks in question came via migratory birds seemed weak. Migratory birds migrate every year and there seems no reason for it to have taken so long to arrive if that was the carrier.

Fishpond

There's lots of likely reasons why tick numbers have increased - in no particular order - more deer in more places, fewer cold winters, cessation of stubble burning, removal of certain sheep dips and reduced dipping; more sensitive farming methods which support more wildlife (especially lyme reservoir hosts), the list goes on, coupled with right to roam/CROW act more people are getting exposed and there's greater awareness of tick bites and Lyme disease and now TBE is in the limelight but with a very much lower risk of exposure than Lyme.

In terms of the press release it's been triggered by the impending publication of the german case report and the work screening ticks and deer blood samples that many of you contributed to - will post links when they are on line.

Best regards

Richard

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Fishpond

Here's the link to the paper - Maya will be contacting stalkers via same routes as before to arrange sample collection this autumn/winter too - many thanks to those who've helped so far and hopefully you can see how this has helped in this research

Best regards

Richard

Fishpond

Here's the link to the more recent paper on the second foci of TBE in the UK. Once again Maya is really grateful to all those have helped by submitting samples to date and hopefully you'll have received sample packs for collecting as before if you have indicated you are happy to continue. Advice on prevention remains the same as for Lyme but risk of TBE is much lower than Lyme.

For those who would like to help by collecting blood and tick samples from deer they cull then please contact Maya via email (Maya.holding@phe.gov.uk). Clearly deer are very useful as sentinels for tick borne diseases (as well as providing some of the best organic wild protein!)

Best regards

Richard

Spix

Agreed risk much lower than Lyme at the moment.

A new and lengthy paper on a hot spot in northern Denmark may be of interest:

Tick-borne encephalitis virus hot spot

" ... incidence of TBE has been increasing in Denmark, in its neighbouring countries as well and in the rest of Europe in recent years, which mirrors the increased abundance of ticks, the increased geographic spread and potentially climate changes ... "

The situation in Switzerland has become so serious that the Swiss government urged a nationwide vaccination against TBE at the start of this year.

bluesako

I think a lot more money needs to be spent on somehow eradicating ticks , years ago you would hardly see a tick now they are absolutely everywhere and more diseases keep cropping from , this is not just a problem to Stalkers and farm workers but all the public and they are posing serious health risk. I have just come back from Scotland and a hind I shot in birches on lower ground was covered head to toe in ticks , I certainly treat all my clothing now , we need an arachnid that eats or destroys ticks.
Just found this,"Fire ants can clear a field of ticks" (and most other creatures) quite effectively. :thumb: :thumb::lol:
matey i dont think you want to introduce fire ants over here they will eat you i had a bad experiance with them in the states the worst pain i have ever had