New toy

stone

Last night due to a very kind site member , on another site
who had offered me a great deal
i went and picked up My new toy :)

winchester 30-30 underlever
this will be a rifle dedicated just for follow up work

it was scoped, but i hav removed that for the time being and reverted back to open sights,
the front sight has also been removed and fitted with a fibre optic sight from Easy Hit uk

had a bit of a practice session today,
but need to adjust the height of the fibre optic sight as it is shooting a little high :rolleyes:
but i am very pleased with my new purchase

stone

Stone

Oooh! I want, I want!! What a pretty rifle.

In fact I'm keeping my eyes open for a Ruger No.1 in 25-06. I don't need it, but since when has that ever been a reason.....

willie_gunn

Bandit Country

I'm guessing you have already got the big hat and alligator skin boots? :lol:

I have only ever tried one in 45/70. It was just in from the States so had a ridiculous trigger pressure and in that calibre you can imagine the recoil!

stone

Bandit Country said:
I'm guessing you have already got the big hat and alligator skin boots? :lol:
NOPE
but christmas is just around the corner :lol: :lol:
for such a sweet little rifle and so smooth to shoot , it sure packs a mean punch ;)

Ronin

Distinguished Member
I shot about 30 rounds through a U/L 45/70 a month or two ago, it had a holo sight fitted and was surprisingly accurate out to 150yds.

Recoil was easily managable, just a gentle shove from the 500g lead solids ;) .

Always fancied a U/L "woodland stalker", maybe nows the time to get one.......

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff
Get the wagons in a circle :eek: Stone I didnt know you had that many red indians in your neck of the woods.

Are you also going to buy the horse and chaps to go with the gun :lol: :lol:

Only joking mate, nice looking rifle, seems to have been well looked after.

stone

sikamalc said:
Only joking mate, nice looking rifle, seems to have been well looked after.
Malc
the gentleman i bought the rifle off , did not like the varnished look so sanded down the stock and walnut oiled it but in general the rifle has been well looked after and now the sight has been adjusted
it was like playing tin can alley at work today :lol:
rifle really does handle and shoot well ;)
really, really pleased with it ;)

rarms

Are you using the Hornady Leverevolution ammo?

Otherwise I assume you can only have one in the chamber and one in the mag without risking a chain detonation?

stone

rarms said:
Are you using the Hornady Leverevolution ammo?

Otherwise I assume you can only have one in the chamber and one in the mag without risking a chain detonation?
rarms
i am using flat nose ammo, which with round nose is recommened
the problems in the tube occur when using pointed heads as this can trigger detonation in the tube from the recoil when firing
but i can put five in the tube and one in the chamber with out to much fear of loosing a hand from recoil detonation, but can't say this will never happen as any mag that holds the bullets end on can cause this chain reaction
very interested in this leverevolution ammo , do you hav a link that i can look at
cheers mate
BTW hows the dog coming along

stone

doghound said:
I bet your just wishing the phone to ring with a follow up, i would be.

Nice tool, have fun.
blimey
i forgot about giving you a ring :oops: :oops:
nice subtle reminder :evil:
shall give you a call after chrimbo for a chat now work has settled down a little

stone

Cheers mate
looking at that i can see lots of advantages
i would think most of those heads they were using werre 110grain but also the fact that crimping may now not needed, so should in theory mean that a better reload can now be established in all weights

good to hear about the dog , hav you managed a live track now ifso how did you get on ;)

rarms

No, no real track yet, got a few legs in the freezer for her though and a load of blood/ice cubes! Was thinking about seeing if I can get up to the second day as it looks a lot busier and she could probably use more integration with a field full of other dogs :D

howa243

That looks great stone. I have wanted one for years but didnt think i could get the police to see it as deer legal, Well done. I am very jealous.

stone

howa243 said:
That looks great stone. I have wanted one for years but didnt think i could get the police to see it as deer legal, Well done. I am very jealous.
yes it did take a little convincing but not to much :)
each force has different views on different calibres, speak to your FLO and see what he has to say on the idea first ;)