New Woods rifle - suggest something interesting!

fcp

About 50% of my stalking during the summer is woodland Roe (walked and I'd like something a bit handier than my moderated 24" Cooper Arms (260 Rem).

Ideally 20" or less, lightweight (it will travel with me to NZ for 10 days hiking/stalking in January) and will occasionally get used for larger species.

I have a spare slot for a .308 but a variation to something else (30-06 or 30R for example) would be fine and might make sense for a bit of variety. I re-load, but probably should stay away from anything too radical as I have more than enough on my plate without having to do too much load development.

Budget for the rifle to around £2.5K I suppose. So far though everything I have considered has proved tricky to find.. so far I've thought about:

• A customised Ruger no.1 - Not everyone's cup of tea but I quite like the simplicity of falling block actions. Trigger and weight are an issue though; if I could find a nice SS example a grand on-top would cut/ re-crown the barrel, sort the trigger and put a nicer piece of wood on it. Don't seem to be any about though (.243s I could re-barrel but cost starts to run-away).
  • Browning BLR - Again a bit (very!) Marmite, but take-down quite appealing. 16" barrel 'Black Label' they did in the US looked good, but trouble is no stock of any take-down BLRs anywhere in Europe (missed the last one a week ago) and it looks like Browning EU have decide to cease importing them...
  • Marlin 308MXLR - putting aside question of build quality these days... impossible to find anyone who has ever had one in..
  • A double rifle - Blaser B97 seems to be the one. Missed one this weekend (again!) and again don't seem to be very widely available s/h.
  • Sako 85 Carbonlight - its light, its carbon fibre, but no med action available and I kind of feel it falls into the 'tech for the sake of it' category.

So, assuming I don't want another off-the-shelf bolt gun (and I know lots of people will point quite correctly that a Kimber 84s, Sako 85, Tika T3s, Sauer 202 etc would all do a great job and I'm not challenging that at all), can anyone suggest anything else? Timing is not critical but I' like something for the new year.

I. Farticus

You could build a custom rig off a decent action...

I just happen to have a Sako 75 Action III in .243 sat in my RFD that could be a good starting point. That action could be used to build any of: 6.5x47mm, 7mm-08, .308 or even .338 Fed or .358 Win for something unusual

fcp

You could build a custom rig off a decent action...

I just happen to have a Sako 75 Action III in .243 sat in my RFD that could be a good starting point. That action could be used to build any of: 6.5x47mm, 7mm-08, .308 or even .338 Fed or .358 Win for something unusual

That's an option, but I think as much as anything else its the action that I'd like to be different, hence falling block/ lever interest. The chambering is probably less of a concern as most @ .30+ are going to be ok.

Tom D

How about a 338 federal (338-08). Should be a doddle to load for and easy to use with a short barrel.

Claret_Dabbler

There is a Heym Stutzen 308 in the classifieds here. £375. The cost/value ratio on this rifle is off the scale.

I've spent the last three days telling myself all the reasons I don't need it.

I really want it though....

Greener Jim

Unusual I here you say? This is my kind of thread!

Blaser K95 is a good shout as is the Ruger. With the Ruger you are pretty much stuck with the barrel contour that you have i.e. If it has a lightweight barrel on you can't put a heavy one on or vice versa , not without some relatively annoying work to the forearm hanger. That been said you could have a stepped barrel if you wanted to lighten it up. Also bear in mind that so long as your donor rifle has the same rim diameter as your chosen cartridge you won't need to modify the extractor, therefore you could buy a 22-250 and rebarrel to 308 or 30-06 if you wish. I say this as the smaller calibres tend to be less desirable.

May be be worth checking out the next decent sized Holts auction, plenty of stuff pops up there and you can get a bargain if you're savvy and lucky!

I would also suggest a combination gun maybe? Effectively a single shot rifle but with the alluring possibility of slugs in the shotgun barrel.

Jagdmatch

I have a Ruger no 1 in 405 win that I got from a chap on here. I love it, having had a 243 stutzen before but it is a continuing journey to get it to shoot consistently. It also kicks hard but in a different calibre and with fettling it could be an option. With that sort of budget I would go for custom, perhaps a Mausingfield action with a short 308 barrel by Paddy Dane or for ease of traveling a Blaser.

long_range_rob

I'm a dedicated Sako 75 man and have pondered building a 75 based version of the RPA Woodland Stalker. Probably in my favourite 7mm08 calibre