New World Record at 1000 Yards

That is very very impressive. I'd be delighted if I could get a group like that 300.

I note this was done with optics so I'm now wondering how you'd sight it. Surely even the finest reticule would probably cover more than 2.6" at 1000 yds?

Can't help but marvel at it though.

FN

That is very very impressive. I'd be delighted if I could get a group like that 300.

I note this was done with optics so I'm now wondering how you'd sight it. Surely even the finest reticule would probably cover more than 2.6" at 1000 yds?

Can't help but marvel at it though.

FN

Not uncommon to aim off something with a 90 degree edge/corner (both vertical and horizontal reference points), like the target board.

Not saying that's what he did, but it does work...

At the Roswell gun club New Mexico in 1994 they were having a 1000 yard match, I said I would like to have a go so they lent me the clubs 30-06 Garand an open sighted original mil sights, I turned up on the Saturday and they all had bolt guns with trash/dustbin sized scopes, needless to say I came last.

At the Roswell gun club New Mexico in 1994 they were having a 1000 yard match, I said I would like to have a go so they lent me the clubs 30-06 Garand an open sighted original mil sights, I turned up on the Saturday and they all had bolt guns with trash/dustbin sized scopes, needless to say I came last.
Yes, I was able to try 1000 one time. Even with a 24X Unertl Scope the target still looked small. I considered it success just to actually put holes in any circle - and like you, I finished dead last

Can you imagine the mind games you must start to play with yourself as the score edges up past 5 and 6 X hits?
100%. This guy clearly has what's called 'big match temperament'.
Ridiculously sublime shooting, what a great achievement.

Yes, I was able to try 1000 one time. Even with a 24X Unertl Scope the target still looked small. I considered it success just to actually put holes in any circle - and like you, I finished dead last
Fantastic shooting.
Heavy gun? a 25 pounder perhaps?

CHARLES GREER NBRSA 1000-YARD HEAVY GUN SPECIFICATIONS:​

Action: Borden BRMXD drop port
Barrel: Krieger 30″ 4-groove, 1:10″ twist, custom contour 1.35″ tapered to 1.00″
Chambering: .300 Winchester Short Magnum (WSM)
Chamber Specs: .337 neck with .280 freebore
Stock/Weight: McMillan/Wheeler LRB (solid fill) stock at 27 pounds
Gunsmith: Gerald Reisdorff
Optics: Vortex Golden Eagle 15-60x52mm
Front Rest: Sinclair Competition with 4″ Edgewood bag
Rear Rest/Bag: Wahlstrom mechanical rear rest with custom Edgewood bag

Load Details: Norma .300 WSM brass, Alliant Reloder 23 powder, Federal 210M primers, Berger 220gr LR Hybrid bullets at 2800 FPS

Back