New Zealand blue print deer tracking

cervusnippon2013

Hi folks. Anyone using the NZ blue print for tracking deer. I've started to train my gwp in this method now while the season is closed in Ireland. My dog can track, find deer before and after the shot but this was carried out while using a harness and a long tracking lead.
I'm know training her to walk 2-4 yards in front and using her to wind the deer head up mostly and when she is on a deer as I'm able to read her body language, going on point etc I'll get her to sit. I'll command her to stay and walk forwards of her position to check out senario.
I've learned not to 2nd guess her and she's finding deer easy. I personally love working a dog, it's a buzz in itself apart from shooting.
Today was no exception as she locked up in front of me as she's now continually doing to deer that I can't see at all. A single for in pine forest, 10 yards and a mob of prickets, about 10 hidden in bracken etc at about 50 yards.
Of course my camera malfunctioned and I didn't get the vid recorded but she stayed put as they eventually took off running and stopping in bursts.
Like to hear if anyone else is training their dog to this method.

RifleTuner

I have been working my way through the videos of the blueprint although I dont have an actual dog under training at the moment. I believe its a good training program and it will produce a good deer dog. I also believe its good to look at other training methodologies as there may be material in those that has some applicability to training deer indicating dogs.

Paul deserves top marks for being the first to put out a comprehensive training program for training indicating dogs. The category of "deer dogs" still seems to be very much emerging, and the definition and use of a deer dog varies a lot around the world. For example in Victoria, Australia where I hunt, its specifically illegal for a dog to show any aggression towards the deer, and if it bit or took the animal down, it would contravene game laws. Whereas in certain parts of Britten & Europe, I understand this is a desirable quality. In many countries, the dog only comes into play AFTER the shot, to locate the deer. Whereas in AU and NZ, its becoming increasingly common for dogs to be used predominantly before the shot. So deer dog training material tends to be somewhat varied, and I believe its a category where best practice is still developing.

I think the way you have taken the Blue Print and adapted it to your situation is bang on. In NZ moderators are freely available, so having the dog just in front of you at the shot is no big deal and makes sense. In Australia moderators are only available to a very small segment of the shooting community, so shooting at deer with your dog immediately in front of you will get you a def dog very quickly.

Anyhow, the use of deer dogs is a fascinating topic, and I look forward to hearing more from people using dogs on deer.

Hayduke

Yes, I really like the BGID blueprint, Paul Michaels' honesty when he said that he has f__ked up a few dogs was refreshing. He relayed how he tore into a cracking lab/retriever for going at a sheep and spoilt the dog forever never worked well for him after that. Paul has combined some of the best of the old methods and texts for game dogs and learnt a lot of lessons through hard experience, he has a deep understanding of dog psychology and a great way of communicating it. A farmer friend echoed it for me when he said it is easy to take the fire out of a dog but very hard to put it back in.

I don't think you need to buy all the vids. I got four or five - the basics and then some of the more advanced ones. My dog will consistently work 2-3 yards in front and lock on as mentioned above. We also worked on extended stays, most times she will stay put for up to 30 minutes if I want to crawl in 50m or so to get a shot through cover.

My dogs lines came off grouse moors so game birds / pheasants were very interesting - we are over that now and just about ignoring squirrels too - sole focus is pointing deer for me.

Paul is great on training to the gun. Before I started using BGID I had been giving treats as reward, but quickly stopped and his point - they are working dogs not performing circus animals really rings true for me. So the only time we celebrate with treats is with a nice lump of liver after the gralloch. Happy days!

wytonpjs

Thanks for posting - definitely a topic i’m now going to follow up. I started training my 5th Vizsla (second rescue) to find shot deer and I’m very quickly learning that she has a much better situational deer awareness than me and need to capitalise quickly on this before she gets too old. Look central in the attached and you will see a ginger blob standing over a dead deer taken from the firing point - straight onto it like the bullet that took this Roe. I never cease to be amazed by the capacity of dogs to assimilate new skills.499FFB4D-BA24-45AA-97FD-7ED32857F78E.jpeg

cervusnippon2013

I didn't buy any video's or DVDs. The dog I have is experienced on fur and feather but not to this method.
I didn't want to pay out on a satnav collar locator etc so I've totally switched tactics as I was totally confident in her ability to change. I had made mistakes releasing her on a shot running g deer in spruce forestry only to find there was more than one deer and she took off after the wrong deer. My fault 100%., I commanded her to ' find the buck' so she took off. She has taken down deer in clearings where visually things are clear for both of us.( Now they don't run since I changed calibre as well from .243 to .308)
Lessons learned, I needed to get her to relax and just go on point naturally to her like on pheasant etc.
There's a few sites on YouTube that lads use this method.
One particular site called,Trap and Trigger Ventures, shows vids using the blue print method. You can also go to their website and print off foc tips from the lads.
If you and your dog is any way used to deer and hunting you probably don't need to fork out on the DVDs but if your only starting it would be a good investment.