Newbie reloading question

noodly

Now then.... apologies in advance if I come across as a bit thick lol

I want to start reloading for 357 but don't have a powder thrower/dispenser yet.

Can I measure the appropriate powder weight on my balance beam scales to get me started (till I get a powder thrower)

I assume it's probably the longest way (time wise) to do it.... but I probably only shoot 20 rounds a month

I will be using n340 powder with 158 grain bullets.

Cheers guys/girls :)

srvet

Yes you can but it is time consuming. You could get some Lee dippers that would speed you up considerably. Otherwise powder measures come up on eBay frequently

Apthorpe

Yes you can, this is what I do. As Srvet says it is slow and a bit tedious to do this. I bought some plastic tubes with lids (as below) for £3. These allow you to weigh out your powder at a different time to loading. I like this because you can get your poweder ready whenever you feel patient or at a loose end, and then do your loading without having to fiddle with powder.

5ml plastic test tubes vials sample containers powder craft with screw caps x 20 | eBay

JockStalk

I just throw it onto the scales with a coffee measure I liberated from my better half. Bit of practice and you soon get to judge within a few grain and bit of folded paper as a 'trickler'.

enfieldspares

Lee's yellow dippers are perfect. But you'll need the bottom 2" of a big yoghourt pot and a 4" length of coathanger.

Bend the end of the length to make a handle. Put your powder in the cut down yoghourt pot, scoop the dipper through.

Level off the top of the measure by drawing the coathanger length across.

Place the case, held in left hand, upside down over the mouth of the measure, held in right hand, and turn the lot over.

Case is now charged with powder.

Years ago if we wished we used cut down 9mm or .32 ACP cases as measures. Araldited to a coathanger length.

But the Lee yellow pipes work well. Or a cheap secondhand RCBS Little Dandy.

Colonel

When I loaded 38spl for combat shooting I used empty 22lr case soldiered to a brass screw which I then made a wooden handle that I screwed my scoop on and it throw 3.3gr of bullseye with a 158gr lead RN, perfect and quick.

noodly

20 rounds a month for a .357 isn't really worth reloading... my tuppence.
Well I got the reloading gear bundled in with the Winchester I purchased so thought I'd give it a go... it's not so much for saving pennies than it is for gaining the experience.

If I don't like it then I shan't purchase any more gear :)

Muir

Haha.... I do shoot other calibres
Perhaps then, you can explain this unreasonable prejudice you have against the 357 Magnum that causes you to only shoot it 20 rounds a month??? While shooting other calibers, presumably, more often???? :-| I think you owe three fifty seven shooters on this forum an explanation.~Muir

(Seriously, I used to load and shoot 200 rounds a week of .357 when I decided that i wanted to hunt big game with a handgun. Any gun, rifle or handgun, that is chambered for 357 Magnum offers a multitude of options for loading. I cast my own bullets so I load bullets from 90 grains to 205 grains in 38 Special or 357 Magnum cases. Its easy to load for and inherently accurate when the right choices of components are made. Have fun.) (20 rounds a week.... sheesh!:rolleyes: :lol:)

srvet

Back in the day when our government trusted us, there would be 100-150 rounds of 38/357 through my S&W 686 and about the same of 9mm downrange most weekends by my hand. Not saying I hit much but it was fun!! It would be nice to have the option to do that these days but I can't see it changing. Not enough votes in it!

noodly

Have just dug out my powder dippers to get my triple7 loads ready for cap and ball shooting in the morning...... it's quite therapeutic this powder weighing malarkey haha

Muir

Have just dug out my powder dippers to get my triple7 loads ready for cap and ball shooting in the morning...... it's quite therapeutic this powder weighing malarkey haha
Cap and Ball??
OK. You're forgiven for dissing the 357.~Muir

noodly

Cap and Ball??
OK. You're forgiven for dissing the 357.~Muir
Nowt wrong with 357 in my opinion.

just like other aspects of my life I like variety :)

i wish i had had more time to shoot as much as some of my buddies..... My time will come :)

flying felix

When I loaded 38spl for combat shooting I used empty 22lr case soldiered to a brass screw which I then made a wooden handle that I screwed my scoop on and it throw 3.3gr of bullseye with a 158gr lead RN, perfect and quick.
What "combat shooting" requires you to homeload ammo?

hybridfiat

I load 100 rounds at one session but don't have a thrower. Every load is done by hand with the scales and a teaspoon. My trickler is the index finger that taps the spoon and drops just enough to get the beam level.
No more no less.
20 rounds is not worth getting a thrower for and in the time it would take you to set it up and get the load correct and double checked (you do not want to mess up loads with Bullseye) I'd have mine done.