Newbie scope mounting question

Sheprador1973

Hi all. Just after a piece of advice if you can help?

I've always shot air rifles using the standard dovetail mounts. Not great but they have done the job. I'm now looking to mount a Hawke Sidewinder 30 tac model to a cz 455 varmint 22lr rim fire. My question is, should I just mount the scope using the dovetails in the reciever or fit a picatinny rail? Intended use is 50-100 yd target shooting at a club and some bunnies if I can find a permission. Am I right in thinking that a picatinny rail will require lower mounts to achieve the same scope height? Looking at buying some mounts before the rifle if possible. Also worth mentioning (I think) is that I'm hoping in the future to move into centrefire rifles so may end up with a couple of guns, but realistically will be unable to afford multiple optics (though I may well upgrade from the Hawke one day).

Your advice would be much appreciated thanks :)

sundog

I would just use the dove tails. There's no recoil with a rim fire so they don't need fancy mounting systems. Your hawke scope will be fine for the rim fire.

nun_hunter

While the standard dovetails will be fine, fitting a picatinny rail does offer you some flexibility. I have picatinny rails on a number of rifles for a few reasons. One reason is that the rail is inclined by 20moa so it gives me a bit more elevation when dialing longer shots, something which may be useful if you're planning on shooting your rimfire over 100m or if you get into long range shooting with your centrefire. Also it allows the scope to be removed easily (assuming you get QR rings)so you can swap the scope between rifles of use a dedicated night vision.

Where in East Sussex are you? If not far from Heathfield I'd be happy to meet and give you some pointers from what I use.

snake_2586

Just stick with the dovetails, i have never had any problems, they are just a case of fit and forget, the only extra i do is when fitted and I'm happy i retorque after say 100 shots and then fill the screw heads/holes with vasalen to prevent them going rusty.

As far as I'm concerned your segestion to use the same scope on multiple rifles is a bad one, use multiple scopes on one rifle ie NV and a day optic maybe, but i still think this is a pain, but swapping one scope between rifles will just mean you are burning ammo for no good reason, especially if you are thinking centerfire, keep your eyes on the classifieds there are always scopes coming up to suit all bugets.

Sent from my Lenovo YT-X703F using Tapatalk

Sheprador1973

While the standard dovetails will be fine, fitting a picatinny rail does offer you some flexibility. I have picatinny rails on a number of rifles for a few reasons. One reason is that the rail is inclined by 20moa so it gives me a bit more elevation when dialing longer shots, something which may be useful if you're planning on shooting your rimfire over 100m or if you get into long range shooting with your centrefire. Also it allows the scope to be removed easily (assuming you get QR rings)so you can swap the scope between rifles of use a dedicated night vision.

Where in East Sussex are you? If not far from Heathfield I'd be happy to meet and give you some pointers from what I use.
Thank you. I'm in Seaford down south but may well take you up on your kind offer along the way. :)

Sheprador1973

Thanks for the advice guys. Sounds like using the dovetails will be fine on balance...I can always play about with different options later I guess.

Does anyone have any direct experiences of ring height choice for this combo please? Cz 455 varmint 22lr with Hawke sidewinder tac 30 (8.5-25x42 sf)? Looking to be as low to the barrel as possible but obviously need to avoid any bolt clearance issues on the eye bell. Hawke appear to do med and high mounts (no low?). Any idea which would be best?

kind regards :)

HeavySako

18 months ago I would have written a very similar post. I'd never been stalking and I started with a secondhand Sako Quad 22lr with an old Simmons air gun scope on it and used it at a rifle club. It worked perfectly with sports match dove tails and it got me started.
Thanks to very kind and generous individuals I met through SD things have significantly progressed since then.
I've now passed my DSC1 and picked up a few small pieces of land on the way.

That's a very kind offer by Nun-Hunter to meet up and have a chat and one I'd definitely take up!! You'll get knocked back quite a few times on your journey having a friendly face to speak to for advice is invaluable!

In short that Cz setup with dovetails will do just fine for now, however brace yourself because it's very addictive hobby and you'll fine yourself emptying the piggy bank every 6 months for that next purchase.

God only knows how much I've now spent on rifles and glass and hopefully he won't tell the wife !! :thumb:

Sheprador1973

18 months ago I would have written a very similar post. I'd never been stalking and I started with a secondhand Sako Quad 22lr with an old Simmons air gun scope on it and used it at a rifle club. It worked perfectly with sports match dove tails and it got me started.
Thanks to very kind and generous individuals I met through SD things have significantly progressed since then.
I've now passed my DSC1 and picked up a few small pieces of land on the way.

That's a very kind offer by Nun-Hunter to meet up and have a chat and one I'd definitely take up!! You'll get knocked back quite a few times on your journey having a friendly face to speak to for advice is invaluable!

In short that Cz setup with dovetails will do just fine for now, however brace yourself because it's very addictive hobby and you'll fine yourself emptying the piggy bank every 6 months for that next purchase.

God only knows how much I've now spent on rifles and glass and hopefully he won't tell the wife !! :thumb:
Thank you HeavySako...sound advice all round, especially from one who has 'been there' fairly recently. I have already been lucky enough to recieve very kind help and advice from many on here. Steep learning curve! & totally get the bit about god & the wife...already there with my 'cheap' fishing gear and "nooo, didn't cost much at all" archery setup ;). Thank you for your support, regards Paul.

rabbit

Thanks for the advice guys. Sounds like using the dovetails will be fine on balance...I can always play about with different options later I guess.

Does anyone have any direct experiences of ring height choice for this combo please? Cz 455 varmint 22lr with Hawke sidewinder tac 30 (8.5-25x42 sf)? Looking to be as low to the barrel as possible but obviously need to avoid any bolt clearance issues on the eye bell. Hawke appear to do med and high mounts (no low?). Any idea which would be best?

kind regards :)
i have a cz 455 with sidewinder 6.5-20x42 on and use BKL303 low mounts,spot on