News item, Forest of Dean.

Bavarianbrit

I could sit out every night for a month but would not promise anyone they would see any as they can be very fickle beasts as to where they will turn up. Marksmen = only 2 extra rangers will get sleepy/bored before they will meet these cull targets. Piecework payment for results like done in factories will get more response.
BB

ileso

OI enjoy the excuse that they want to cull in the FOD to halt the march of ASF... interesting... I had no Idea the FOD was next to Belgium... talk about an attempt at fear mongering

teyhan1

Well I’m just going to keep shooting them. Talking of which I am off again in 5 hrs.

NigelM

I was dropping some Roe off at the game dealer last week just as he had a delivery of Boar from the Forest of Dean. There were some seriously large piggies amongst the 20 or so that were dropped off. I was a little surprised.

tozzybum

Weve only seen 1 on the run up here a medium sized Boar ,but there are local farmer,s with them as a diversify job so i dont think it will be long before more escape and then chaos will reign as some of the males are huge

charlieboy-shooter

I was dropping some Roe off at the game dealer last week just as he had a delivery of Boar from the Forest of Dean. There were some seriously large piggies amongst the 20 or so that were dropped off. I was a little surprised.
Despite my best efforts and funds the only Boar I have seen so far were also at the game dealers. I asked if they were from the FOD and was told "Yes" but the numbers provided did not meet the numbers promised by the FC. However that was a few months back now.

Wish I bought 1 now or at least tried to anyway.

jubnut

OI enjoy the excuse that they want to cull in the FOD to halt the march of ASF... interesting... I had no Idea the FOD was next to Belgium... talk about an attempt at fear mongering
Is it not that should ASF get into the country we can control domestic pigs, but the potential for spreading the disease between farms etc is far greater in a wild population?

Rather than wait for it to get into the UK and suddenly realise we have a massive disease vector that is largely uncontrolled?

ileso

Is it not that should ASF get into the country we can control domestic pigs, but the potential for spreading the disease between farms etc is far greater in a wild population?

Rather than wait for it to get into the UK and suddenly realise we have a massive disease vector that is largely uncontrolled?
Although what you say is true. should the whole of europe then exterminate all wild boar? in case of ASF? or all deer in case of TB? or all dogs, foxes etc in case there's an outbreak of rabies?

you cant live in fear and eradicate a whole species to prevent something that might or might not happen... if ASF gets in to the UK, just about all pig farms are buggered anyway. regardless of the wild boar population. the mortality rate is over 98%.

and from my understanding, wild boar in the UK are relatively controlled in so far as they are concentrated in certain areas and not actually everywhere like in the rest of europe. or am I wrong?

Penyard

Question really boils down to how the arbitrary target number of 400 will magically not spread ASF. The reality is that those lobbying for increased culling really want eradication