Nice to read of the Storks breeding in Blighty

They're alright if you don't use your chimneys..
Extinct in Britain for 600 years (when houses didn't have chimneys so don't know where they nested then). Last breeding pair allegedly nested on St. Giles cathedral, Edinburgh in 1416..
A handful of pairs have been introduced from Europe here and there to gardens and wildlife sanctuaries and but no wild nesting pairs yet as far as I know. I doubt there's enough wetland left in the UK to support them. Most of it's been drained to house the 70 million people. Haven't heard of wild nesting storks here. Got a link?
Interesting birds. Massive amount of myth and folklore attached to them. I wouldn't want to have a hundredweight of dry twigs stuffed between live chimney pots above a thatched roof every spring though. If they can just nest on someone else's house...

Last edited:
They're alright if you don't use your chimneys..
Extinct in Britain for 600 years (when houses didn't have chimneys so don't know where they nested then). Last breeding pair allegedly nested on St. Giles cathedral, Edinburgh in 1416..
A handful of pairs have been introduced from Europe here and there to gardens and wildlife sanctuaries and but no wild nesting pairs yet as far as I know. I doubt there's enough wetland left in the UK to support them. Most of it's been drained to house the 70 million people. Haven't heard of wild nesting storks here. Got a link?
Interesting birds. Massive amount of myth and folklore attached to them. I wouldn't want to have a hundredweight of dry twigs stuffed between live chimney pots above a thatched roof every spring though. If they can just nest on someone else's house...

I read the article yesterday, three pairs nesting on the Knepp estate, one of which is currently feeding young. I am not too sure but I think Storks like cranes are not totally dependent on wetlands. A lot of their food is gathered from normal agricultural fields. Although with much of our arable land being a sterile desert I think they may struggle across the majority of the UK.

never seen a stork seen quite a few cranes round the peterbourgh area. i did see a hoopoe this week on a farm, very pretty bird and a first for me

I have a soft spot for Storks and cranes and love seeing them in Poland when I'm there. Where our bit of land is there are Black storks nesting up a huge ash tree on the edge of a forest and White storks on top of telegraph poles.

Interesting reading this now. We saw one in the water meadows a couple of weeks before the lock down. I assumed it was from a park or a tame one, but maybe not now I've read this.

Back