Nice videos on double rifle on Highland deer..

Freeforester

Tone is more important in respect of jeans and grey top, I fully agree that colour doesn't matter ( it was the shade of colour that stands out, as opposed to the actual colour, well aware deer see in monochrome rather than technicolour), having once had a (successful) guest out on the hill stalking in a dayglo pink ski jacket, but you'll tend to find that black or other very dark things like peat hags tend not to move about, and when they do, they tend to be noticeable. 9 out of ten professionals who express a preference will tend to indicate their preference for muted tones rather than eg dark Loden in areas where 9 1/2months out of 12 the grass is either dead or dead looking; the wallowed stags always stick out whereas most guests struggle to pick up the dun coloured animals...

greville1689

Great film just a pity there were no subtitles!

At a rough guess this was filmed somewhere around the Crianlarich - Tyndrum possibly Dalmally area.
My reasoning is, as they are taking their practise shots, the railway bridge in the background has similar construction to those in the area..
No I'm not a train anorak- I just know my bridges.

Ed
Almost certainly Auch and Invermearn estate which runs from the main road out to Loch Lyon

greville1689

It looked as if the second stag had been gralloched in the field and then dragged through the peat hags, heather etc which would surely impact on the cleanliness of the carcase - I would have expected a deer sled or pony to be used if the Argo could not reach the location (or am I perhaps being impractical)
Yes you are being impractical. More often than not on the hill you have to move the carcass to a point where you can extract it on a pony, in an Argo etc. I used to stalk on an estate on the West Coast where the ground is so rough that even ponies struggle and all deer shot had to be dragged to either the loch-side to be loaded on a boat, or to the road. hardest part of the day!
I've never seen a deer sled being used on the hill and can imagine that it is:
a. cumbersome to carry
b. not that effective when you are in the crags and peat hags in the highlands

Nice to see Castle Stalker which is miles from Auch!
Eh 'fraid not my friend.
The railway bridge visible at 3min 0sec and then shortly after when they are doing their target practise, is in the style of those found between Crainlarich and Oban/Fort William as per the attached photo.
Certain railway lines have a family of signature structures that were designed by some of the famous engineers. This being a case in point. Although not being this particular structure it is of this family.

Atb
Ed

IMG_0356.jpg

Freeforester

Looking South East up Coire Duibh between Beinn a Chastail and Ben Odhar to the South (right hand side of the bridge) at Auch? The rock face at the far end of the glen between Cam Chreag and Beinn Chaorach is fairly distinctive in geological terms, no?

Freeforester

I should add, this being the whereabouts of the picture at #25, which is the southernmost pillared bridges of two at Auch, but not the one shown at 3.30 in the film, which is the more northern one a wee bit up and round the track, crossing the glen between Beinn Dorain to the North (left side in the video) and Beinn a Chasteil, seen looking more Easterly. Note the length of the pillars which determine the two and differ markedly, the one in the video being longer than the one shown at #25.

I should add, this being the whereabouts of the picture at #25, which is the southernmost pillared bridges of two at Auch, but not the one shown at 3.30 in the film, which is the more northern one a wee bit up and round the track, crossing the glen between Beinn Dorain to the North (left side in the video) and Beinn a Chasteil, seen looking more Easterly. Note the length of the pillars which determine the two and differ markedly, the one in the video being longer than the one shown at #25.
Wow you seem to know as much as I do about the bridge/area.
There are a family of the structures in the area, at least 4 or 5 come to mind, and I think that Rannoch Moor might be one as well, I didn't visit that structure but remember discussing it at work.
The photo I put on is of the Horseshoe Viaduct as I'm not at work (still recovering from severe pancreatitis and associated liver and bowel problems after almost 18mths).
Otherwise I could have done a bit more research and confirmed exactly which one it was.
I remember doing a track survey at Auch Viaduct back in 2000/2001 so it's been a while since I've been in that neck of the woods.

Atb
Ed

jimbo1984

Lovely video though really enjoyed it i miss going to Scotland , and really nice to see a double rifle being used always fancied one in .303

Patrick A

Eh 'fraid not my friend.
The railway bridge visible at 3min 0sec and then shortly after when they are doing their target practise, is in the style of those found between Crainlarich and Oban/Fort William as per the attached photo.
Certain railway lines have a family of signature structures that were designed by some of the famous engineers. This being a case in point. Although not being this particular structure it is of this family.

Atb
Ed

View attachment 117404
In the nicest possible way, I grew up close to Caslte Stalker as my Grandfather had a small estate in Appin, Stalker is quite some way from Crainlarich

In the nicest possible way, I grew up close to Caslte Stalker as my Grandfather had a small estate in Appin, Stalker is quite some way from Crainlarich

You may well have grown up close to Castle Stalker, and the castle probably is Castle Stalker, but the hill ground being stalked on is Auch (drove passed it yesterday).
As the previous post said there is a lot of artistic licence that goes on in films (e.g. James Bond heading for Skyfall is on the road into Glen Etive that leads nowhere and certainly not to the Skyfall set in the film).

You may well have grown up close to Castle Stalker, and the castle probably is Castle Stalker, but the hill ground being stalked on is Auch (drove passed it yesterday).
As the previous post said there is a lot of artistic licence that goes on in films (e.g. James Bond heading for Skyfall is on the road into Glen Etive that leads nowhere and certainly not to the Skyfall set in the film).
The Castle is Stalker and Auch used to belong to the Trevors of Brynkinalt whom I know. We are both right.