night vision

stav

Hi, looking at getting some night vision got about £1500 to spend and would prefer new. Don't know much about nv but my amount is too include ir and any other add ons.
What do you guys recommend.
Cheers stav

thistledeyke

Are you dedicating a rifle to night vision or want something to fit on a day scope, also what will it be used for (rabitting/foxing)? I would check out the Pulsar digital range from Scott country, well within your budget, the 750/850 as a dedicated night set up or the DFA75 so you can use on various rifles without removing day scope. I have a 550 and get good results.
Cheers
Pete.

stav

Its would be used for foxing, its not a problem to put it on a rifle or would a day scope add onbe better?
Stav

thistledeyke

In my opinion you will get better results if you can dedicate a rifle I personally would go for a Pulsar 750 or 850 with a night master 800 IR illuminator which would come in around £1500. I think that would give you a good foxing set up. I use mine on a HMR.17 but my pal uses a 750 on a 22-250 with devastating results (for the fox population). The good thing about digital equipment is it is not damaged by daylight.
Cheers
Pete.

srvet

I bought a NV rifle scope which is good but using it for spotting seemed wrong(dangerous and tiring) and with a small field of view is frustrating. I then bought a thermal spotter... Wow what a difference! All of a sudden spotting them is a piece of cake. Once I have spotted the rifle goes on the sticks, switch NV and IR on and shoot.
Personally I would suggest getting a spotter first and using a rifle mounted lamp that is only on for the shot. When your budget allows then get an NV rifle scope. You could probably get a spotter and scope within budget as the yukon photon is very good for the money at £400ish which would leave some for a spotter. Alternatively you could look at an add on a la Archer where you can spot then attach to your scope for the shot

countrryboy

Don't want to derail this thread but wot is the best/adequate spotter? Was thinking off doing exactly wot u said above

Just had a quick look throu scott country's site and plenty of spotters for around 200 quid for gen 1 or 500 for NV bino's. Wot sort of money should u be looking at? for something usable? are the bino's better than monocular or better to spend 500quid on a better mono?

Ur thermal spotters are really around 1500 for basic models aren't they?

rodp

I have a cheap tubed, not used it in yonks. A bresser digital from Aldi, use it all the time and home brew using watec and 12.5 / 75mm lens. Home brew has illuminator built in and tripod mount so can sit behind wall or net and spot over the top.

stav

I, ve Tried rifle mounted lamp and don't get on with the setup, i was going to spot them with the lamp then switch too night vision?
Stav

I, ve Tried rifle mounted lamp and don't get on with the setup, i was going to spot them with the lamp then switch too night vision?
Stav
G

Got to say I'm with srvet here - go for better detection in spotting first - you'll detect more and so have more opportunity to shoot. Out of interest, what haven't you got on with on a rifle mounted lamp - target acquisition?

Conor1

Stay away from the DFA 75. As a spotter it is absolutely hopeless. The 10x magnification completely ruins it as the field of view is too narrow. I cant comment on it as a weapons sight but given its price, you would be better off getting a dedicated unit such as a Drone Pro.

fizzbangwhallop

Please don't waste your money on anything else .. DRONE PRO !!!
Atb Steve
As Steve says... the Drone P 10x is head and shoulders above anything else around at the moment...and is likely to stay that way for the foreseeable future. A true 10x optical (although it's a 5x with a doubler... but that just makes it more flexible) and there's a new straight 10x version coming out in the next few weeks... if you can make the Shooting Show at Stoneleigh you'll have loads of choice and there should be new products around too..... hopefully including a couple of "market-ready" goodies from Carl Moore of Night Vision Gear UK - Armasight UK Master Distributors and home of Genesys Night Vision Products - Seller of the Drone and not given to hype... or even BS, great customer care too.

You might consider the ATN X sight but there are serious teething problems yet to be fully sorted by whatever firmware upgrades come out. But that's a dayscope first with not so good night time capability.... electronic zoom. Plenty of buyers sent theirs back without accepting the package or opening the box. Time will tell....

Plenty info on 'scope and spotters on the nightvisionforumuk.com forum, well worth joining.

The DFA75 has never matched up to expectations as a front add-on and they come up quite often secondhand. Save your money.

Cheers

Fizz
:cool:

stav

I, ve been trying to join nvfourmuk but must be being thick as asks what there slogan is but can't find any reference too it?
Stav